Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Christian Themes in the Silver Chair

Page 3 / 3
Varnafinde
(@varna)
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum Moderator

But as the statement of someone teetering between despair and delirium, as a last act of defiance - a declaration of irrational faith in the face of defeat, that is worthy IN THAT CONTEXT.

That's a good description of what that statement really is. Puddleglum is free of the enchantment, and he has provoked the Green Witch enough to have her set aside her sweet words and become really angry - there's no knowing what she will do next. In that situation he defies her with a bold statement.

THAT is forgivness, and redemption and mortification, and sorrow and loss all at once! Intensified ninefold because unblinded by rage nothing hides the abyss of tears and pain of shared loss.

That is indeed a great scene, and a great picture of forgiveness! "Their friendship was not broken" - Caspian was able to see past all that had happened and to see the value of keeping what was still left to him. A beautiful moment.

I also see as a theme - a minor theme, perhaps - the almost greed that Jill and Eustace feel for getting hot food and warm beds while they are walking through the snow before they reach Harfang, and especially as they are crossing what is later shown to be the Ruined City. Their hurry to reach the Giant's house makes them unwilling to listen to reason when Puddleglum tries to have them stop and think.

Greed as a temptation, perhaps?

They really needed nourishment, of course, but the Green Witch had put an idea into their heads that drove out all other considerations.

(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)

Posted : July 19, 2012 3:41 pm
Narnian_Badger
(@nbadger)
Mushroom mushroom Hospitality Committee

I love how Puddleglum over comes his pessimistic mind and confirms that exist or not he will follow Aslan and be a true narnian, and that I think should characterize all christians, (not the pessimistic of Puddleglum but his firm belief in Aslan, in our case God).

I had a lot of trouble with Puddleglum's quote for a while--felt too close to the idea that one should believe in God just because it's a safe bet (I believe that train of thought was especially popular in the Middle Ages...). Eventually, though, I realized that the quote is arranged like that not in spite of Puddleglum's pessimism, but because of it. As I've said on many occasions, Puddleglum is the eternal Optimist, wrapped up safely under several layers of pessimism. In a way, I'm kind of like him--a strong tendency to spout doom, gloom, and a healthy dosage of snark, but absolutely refusing to let myself or anyone else give up until the very end.

Ahem. Puddleglum, especially in his drugged state, is always going to choose to talk about the absolute worst case scenario--it's who he is, and apparently runs in the Marshwiggle genes. Even though his mind is muddled and his spirits low, he is refusing to bow to the LotGK's lies--he knows something's up, but can't put his webbed finger on it. That's where Puddleglum's strength lies. His faith in Aslan is unshakable, even when the world is falling apart around him. He knows that Aslan is real somewhere, even if he can't imagine it being here with him.

That's the sort of faith we need to have in God--that even in our darkest hour, when everything closes in on us and we can't see how God could possibly be near, we have to rely on Him even still--even if it's only to believe that He is somewhere, with faith even "as small as a mustard seed." ;)

youtube

Posted : July 19, 2012 4:37 pm
Page 3 / 3
Share: