Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Why Would You Consider Susan to be a Heroic Character?

Page 2 / 2
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

How consistent is Susan’s forsaking Narnia in The Last Battle with her namesake “Susan the Gentle”?  Maybe she was not aggressive and easily enticed into frivolous things. But she also may have been gentle enough for Aslan to lead her back.  Susan’s gentleness was almost always a good thing, but her not being aggressive may have led her into her immature childish interests. A kind personality can be easily led astray because it is less forceful or it can be more receptive to goodness when Aslan comes to her.   So there is really no reason why Aslan did not call her back.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 2, 2021 4:32 am
QueenSuTheGentle
(@queensuthegentle)
NarniaWeb Regular

@varna

@col-klink 

I disagree that Susan and Lucy's act to be a witness to Aslan's death was not heroic. This is because I believe that although they might not have been in any potential situation of danger where they would need to defend themselves. It was definitely hard to watch Aslan, a close friend and protector, die right in front of them. And for someone to see that traumatizing event happening they have to be mentally strong. 

In conclusion, I believe that Lucy and Susan's decision to witness Aslan's death was brave, and although it was such a small deed it showcased their bravery and strength. 

-QueenSuTheGentle

Just remember, don't worry about being the best, just never forget to try your best!

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 4, 2021 7:14 pm
Cobalt Jade
(@cobalt-jade)
NarniaWeb Nut

I think in the series Susan was more heroic than Lucy, who always seemed along for the ride and being so young not forced into any situation where she *had* to act heroically. The only time was when she had to read Coriakin's magic book,and though that was played up as a danger, it really wasn't.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 5, 2021 12:06 am
Jonathan Paravel
(@jonathan-paravel)
NarniaWeb Regular

Wow, I never thought about the long term impact of the Kings and Queens' titles given during their Golden Reign! 😮 
I think the idea of Susan the Gentle was where she was at, during the Golden Age. However I haven't thought of that continuing. I have often thought that after returning to the Professor's house, the Pevensies became like children again. And that their adult mind from being in Narnia had changed a lot and gone away for the most part, besides memories. I know the Walden movies play on them still being mature as thought they have aged - especially in Prince Caspian. So I don't think of Susan being "Susan the Gentle" for the time after HHB/LWW. 
However you make some very good observations on the possible connections! 👍  

I too was changed when I met the Lion.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 7, 2021 2:23 am
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

Susan is perhaps the most controversial character in the chronicles.

She is beautiful, as described in the book-

Susan grew into a tall and gracious woman with black hair that fell almost to her feet and the Kings of the countries beyond the sea began to send ambassadors asking for her hand in marriage

This creates the perfect conflict in The Horse And His Boy. And who knows how many other suitors she had besides Prince Rabadash? Were they noblemen from Archenland? Were they other princes or Tarkaans from Calormen? Were they princes or noblemen from Terenbithia or Galma or the Seven Isles or the Lone Islands?

"Now, Madam," the King was saying to Queen Susan (the lady who had kissed Shasta). "What think you? We have been in this city fully three weeks. Have you yet settled in your mind whether you will marry this dark-faced lover of yours, this Prince Rabadash, or no?"

The lady shook her head. "No, brother," she said, "not for all the jewels in Tashbaan." ("Hullo!" thought Shasta. "Although they're king and queen, they're brother and sister, not married to one another.")

"Truly, sister," said the King, "I should have loved you the less if you had taken him. And I tell you that at the first coming of the Tisroc's ambassadors into Narnia to treat of this marriage, and later when the Prince was our guest at Cair Paravel, it was a wonder to me that ever you could find it in your heart to show him so much favour."

"That was my folly, Edmund," said Queen Susan, "of which I cry you mercy. Yet when he was with us in Narnia, truly this Prince bore himself in another fashion than he does now in Tashbaan. For I take you all to witness what marvellous feats he did in that great tournament and hastilude which our brother the High King made for him, and how meekly and courteously he consorted with us the space of seven days. But here, in his own city, he has shown another face."

"Ah!" croaked the Raven. "It is an old saying: see the bear in his own den before you judge of his conditions."

"That's very true, Sallowpad," said one of the Dwarfs. "And another is, Come, live with me and you'll know me."

"Yes," said the King. "We have now seen him for what he is: that is, a most proud, bloody, luxurious, cruel and self-pleasing tyrant."

She turned him down not because he was a Calormene but that he was "a most proud, bloody, luxurious, cruel, and self-pleasing tyrant." (You go, girl!) As the story progresses, Rabadash is cruel and arrogant. He can't even sleep when all he can think about is Susan. That's what would consider her to be a heroic character even with all the flaws.

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 4, 2021 4:37 pm
Cyberlucy
(@cyberlucy)
Member Friend of NarniaWeb
Posted by: @cobalt-jade

I think in the series Susan was more heroic than Lucy, who always seemed along for the ride and being so young not forced into any situation where she *had* to act heroically. The only time was when she had to read Coriakin's magic book, and though that was played up as a danger, it really wasn't.

I disagree that Lucy always seemed "along for the ride".  It was Lucy's desire to help Mr. Tumnus after she feels that she's responsible for what happened to him that convinces them to go further into Narnia.  I think she knew full well what might be asked of her and her siblings in the attempt because she saw what the wolves did to his house.   Also in VoDT she's the one that helps them all to see reason at various points.  

I do think that Susan did do some things that were heroic.   Agreeing to help Tumnus despite what she saw at his house to me was heroic and brave.  Being there for Aslan until the end despite having to watch him die is another case.  While cautious, she did step into situations that could be dangerous to help others.  

I always felt that Susan was the character most like Lewis himself.  Lewis was a cautious person, especially when it came to personal relationships.  Susan was often the cautious one who encouraged people to stop and think.  Lewis had a questioning nature which I felt that Susan did.   He also got distracted in his teen years, early adulthood by ideas that led him away from his truth.  I have always believed that Susan would eventually find her way back like Lewis did.   

These are only shadows of the real world

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 7, 2021 6:18 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share: