Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

What would VDT be like if Peter and Susan were allowed to come?

Page 2 / 2
waggawerewolf27
(@waggawerewolf27)
Member Hospitality Committee
Posted by: @coracle

@narnian78 Sorry, I know you were just making that point.  

In VDT Lucy does talk about their previous visits to the Lone Islands, in the Splendour Hyaline, very likely including all four of them.

UK hasn't used High King at all, as far as google and I can tell. Unfortunately there wasn't a check on the script for such things - or others (groan).

There was also that trip in The Horse & His Boy, that Susan and Edmund made to Tashbaan, in Calormen, when Rabadash wanted to marry Susan. Shocked . That visit did involve the Spendour Hyaline, but not all visits to Anvard, in Archenland, needed a ship. 

No, UK hasn't used "High King" at all, when the "High King of Tara" was a feature of Irish history, almost a millenium ago. Much of the ancient British island, which the Romans called Hibernia, is now taken up with the Republic of Ireland, which we used to call Eire. Whilst Northern Ireland, the old province of Ulster, is part of UK. Whilst Presidents, in countries like USA, often have deputy Presidents, to act for USA when necessary, the President, (& perhaps the Deputy President of Ireland) is different from the Taoiseach, the title by which the Irish call their Prime Minister, just like in UK and Germany, where they call the Prime Minister the Chancellor, instead. In such countries the Prime Minister, Taoiseach, or Chancellor, is the Leader of Parliament, & is also the Head of Government. Whilst the President or Sovereign is the Head of State putting Parliament's legislation into law & representing the country to the world, especially on ceremonial occasions. 

I never noticed Walden's VDT's use of "High King", & I really should have done so. Blush Not only was it inaccurate about what is meant by a "High King", but there has been a trend to prefer males in any such high position in the British Isles. Not that there haven't been ruling Queens like Elizabeth II, our late Queen & monarch, but normally Queens are consorts, & the wives of Kings, & so they are like First Ladies of the President, rather than Queens Regina, to use the Latin term. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 7, 2023 7:59 pm
Varnafinde
(@varna)
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum Moderator
Posted by: @waggawerewolf27

[...] there has been a trend to prefer males in any such high position in the British Isles. Not that there haven't been ruling Queens like Elizabeth II, our late Queen & monarch, but normally Queens are consorts, & the wives of Kings, & so they are like First Ladies of the President, rather than Queens Regina, to use the Latin term. 

The law said, until some years back, that as long as there were male heirs among siblings, they would go before their sisters in the order of succession. Usually there would be both brothers and sisters in a family, and then the eldest brother would be the next King, with his wife as his Queen Consort. Only when a Princess had no brothers, she could become a ruling Queen.

This will be different now, as the law was changed some years ago. Now the eldest child, male or female, will inherit the throne. If the firstborn child is a girl, she will eventually become Queen, and any younger brothers will not push her out of that position. Then I guess there will be more likelihood of more ruling Queens, just looking statistically at it.

Norway made that change some years back as well. The eldest child of our Crown Prince is a girl, 19 years old, who came of age last year. She will beecome Queen of Norway eventually, and if all goes well, her younger brother won't become king. (I wonder if he thinks like Prince Corin, "It's princes who have all the fun" ...)

With Peter as High King, King Caspian might have had to subordinate* under him on the voyage, which could have made the social order a bit awkward. I guess movie Peter could have been more of a problem than book Peter, judging by Peter's attitudes in "Prince Caspian". Book Peter never wanted to take over Caspian's authority, and would be less likely to do so on this voyage either.

But Susan would only have been an ordinary Queen, on par with Lucy.

* I don't know whether you can use 'subordinate' as a verb ...

This post was modified 12 months ago 2 times by Varnafinde

(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 8, 2023 10:51 am
KingEdTheJust
(@kingedthejust)
NarniaWeb Nut
Posted by: @varna

With Peter as High King, King Caspian might have had to subordinate* under him on the voyage, which could have made the social order a bit awkward.

Never thought about that. The Pevensies themselves all four of them might even overpower Caspian on the Dawn treader, seeming like he has no power at all. And even though Caspian was king at that point, the pevensies were still legendary in Narnia and would be respected a little bit more than Caspian. 

I wonder if the time period would change because Peter and Susan come along? Maybe if all Pevensies came, the situation is more dire and need all four of them to help. Depending on how many of them come, does it change how much time changes in Narnia? Would 100 years pass or only 1? 

"But even a traitor may mend. I have known one that did." - (King Edmund the Just, Horse and his Boy)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 9, 2023 5:09 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share: