Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Was Uncle Andrew inspired by a real magician?

Cleander
(@the-mad-poet-himself)
NarniaWeb Guru

Hey everyone, I'm curious if any of you has ever heard anything to support this theory of mine: 

Apparently in the early 20th century there was an eminent British occultist named Gerald Gardner who came to fame as the founder of the Wiccan religion. He was notorious for holding strange rituals in the woods with his followers, and in WWII even attempted to use magic to keep the Nazis out of Britain (he claimed it worked). The BBC would later interview him, spreading his name across the commonwealth and the world. 

What's interesting to me mainly is his appearance: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_Gardner

Gardner was noted for an unruly shock of white hair and bright, intense eyes which reportedly made some people who met him uneasy. Sound familiar?

I realize I have no substantiation for this beyond the fact that Gardner, like Uncle Andrew, was a magician with white hair and crazy eyes. But I'm wondering of there's evidence that C.S. Lewis knew about him. Given that Gardner became famous in the 30's and 40's, it seems quite possible. I imagine Lewis's disillusionment with and distaste for modern occultism (which he references in Surprised by Joy) would have likely prompted him to subtly satirize Gardner. But that's just a shot in the dark. 

(On a side note I couldn't help noticing that Gardner also strongly resembles the Walden film version of Professor Kirke. But that's likely just a coincidence). 

What do you think? Does this theory hold water? Has anyone else come across this idea, and if so, is there any evidence that this man is who Lewis had in mind when writing this character? 

This topic was modified 8 months ago 2 times by Cleander

PM me to join the Search for the Seven Swords!
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club!
Did I mention I have a YouTube Channel?: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCeuUaOTFts5BQV3c-CPlo_g
Check out my site: https://madpoetscave.weebly.com

signature by aileth

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 31, 2023 1:36 pm
Col Klink
(@col-klink)
NarniaWeb Junkie

It's possible but the shock of white hair and the crazy eyes sound to me like a standard mad scientist character design. 

For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen check out my new blog!

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 31, 2023 1:51 pm
Cleander and coracle liked
Cleander
(@the-mad-poet-himself)
NarniaWeb Guru

@col-klink True, but I'm pretty sure that stereotype was based on Einstein, and wouldn't have been solidly cemented as the standard mad scientist look at the time Lewis wrote Narnia. I can't think of many examples of similar characters who look like that in books or films prior to Lewis's time (which doesn't mean they're not there of course). 

Did I mention I have a YouTube Channel?: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCeuUaOTFts5BQV3c-CPlo_g

signature by aileth

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 31, 2023 2:42 pm
Col Klink liked
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

If I remember correctly, in the book, Uncle Andrew mentions that he received a box from Mrs. Lefay, who instructed him to burn it. Then he discovered what was in it: it came from the lost island of Atlantis. Then he came up with the idea of the possibility of traveling to different worlds. 

If he was inspired by real magic, well, that certainly is debatable. Well, given that children and people in our world are exposed to Wicca and the occult in our day and age, obviously, people were during that time period as well. It is something to be aware of. I think Uncle Andrew learned the hard way that sometimes curiosity can get the best of a person if not careful.

As for science, well traveling between worlds isn't exact science. He could have been somewhat a mad scientist. At the start, he's been in his attic working on something.

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 1, 2023 7:38 am
Cleander liked
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee

It's one of those things that's hard to say, really. An interesting theory and certainly possible, but unless we can find evidence that C.S. Lewis definitely knew of Gerald Gardner and his ideas, it's only speculation.

I don't get the impression that occult practices and esoteric "magic" were nearly as prominent in the popular imagination during Lewis's time as they became from about the 1960s onwards, although obviously there were people who practised these things (including Gardner) well before then. I've certainly never heard of any critics, either at the time the Narnia books were published (the 1950s) or later, drawing connections between Narnia and the occult.

Lewis makes clear enough in the context of the story, in any case, that what Uncle Andrew is doing is foolish and dangerous — enough to warn young readers off trying such practices themselves, whether or not occult powers are real (a debatable subject and one I won't go into). And it wouldn't have been out of character of him to satirise an actual public figure, as Cleander says, but we can't (so far!) really say for sure.

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 1, 2023 8:18 am
Cleander liked
Cobalt Jade
(@cobalt-jade)
NarniaWeb Nut

I've always thought of Uncle Andrew as a more Dickensian kind of character, exaggerrated for comic relief. The part where he cajoles the children and later scolds them on their manners brings to mind the teachers and guardians (and often villains) of the various novels.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 1, 2023 12:47 pm
coracle and Cleander liked
Cleander
(@the-mad-poet-himself)
NarniaWeb Guru

@courtenay Actually, to my knowledge occultism had a strong presence in elite society around Lewis's time. It hadn't quite taken over pop culture, but groups like the Freemasons, Rosicrucians, and the Order of the Golden Dawn were quite fashionable in high society from the Victorian period into Lewis's time. In fact, two members of the Inklings were involved in these groups. This has led some critics attempting to link Narnia and LOTR with the occult to claim Lewis and Tolkien were Illuminati or Masons 🙄 , but in reality these two Inklings were Charles Williams (a Rosicrucian) and W.B. Yeats (a member of the Order of the Golden Dawn, similar to the Masons.) In fact, W.B. Yeats would come into contact with the most notorious occultist of the century, the infamous Aleister Crowley, during his time with the order. He would actually go on to feud with Crowley, even engaging in "magical battles" with him... (not sure how all that worked). Crowley apparently had some dealings with Gerald Gardner, who eventually parted ways with him because (I suppose to Mr. Gardner's credit) he found Crowley's ideas a bit too dark and twisted. 

Reflecting on this, I wonder if this could also support the theory. If Yeats knew both Lewis and Crowley (and possibly Gardner as well) there's a chance Lewis might have heard about Gardner through him. Lewis as a Christian would have found many reasons to criticize the mindset of those attempting occult practices, but especially given the fact that some of his friends and associates had been mixed up in it, my guess is that he used the image of a "magician" currently growing in prominence to shape this cautionary character into a timely, relevant warning against what he saw as a dangerous rise in superstitious occult practices. 

This post was modified 8 months ago 2 times by Cleander

signature by aileth

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : September 1, 2023 1:14 pm
Courtenay liked
Courtenay
(@courtenay)

@the-mad-poet-himself Very interesting and it certainly all sounds possible... it would be great to know if there's more than these bits of circumstantial evidence! I haven't seen this connection made in any Narnia commentaries or biographies of Lewis so far, though.

(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 1, 2023 1:33 pm
Cleander liked
Cleander
(@the-mad-poet-himself)
NarniaWeb Guru

@courtenay Yeah, it's all just bits and pieces that can't lead to any definite conclusion - I just think they may make the idea slightly more plausible. I'd have to go over Lewis's writings that deal with his thoughts on the occult again to see if Gardner's name comes up - that would be to me the surest indicator. 

signature by aileth

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : September 1, 2023 1:42 pm
Courtenay liked
Courtenay
(@courtenay)

@the-mad-poet-himself Yes, that or perhaps any record (from someone who knew Lewis) that Gardner's name and ideas came up in discussions at meetings of the Inklings, for example.

(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 1, 2023 1:47 pm
Cleander liked
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

I thought that Lewis was felt rather sorry for Uncle Andrew at the end of The Magician’s Nephew in saying that he became a nicer man. Lewis may have been thinking of magicians that are fakes in our world when he created him. He apparently used real Narnia magic in the story, but of course the story is fictional so he was portrayed as a fool who was abusing magic. If you consider a fool who performs magic to be real magician then I guess that was what he was. I don’t think he was ever a respected wizard like Gandalf in Tolkien’s stories. He was more like someone who played with magic without knowing much about it. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 2, 2023 3:11 am
Share: