Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

The white stag

Sun-muffin
(@sun-muffin)
NarniaWeb Nut

My sister wrote a fanfic about the fate of the white stag, but that got me thinking.

Mr Tumnus tells Lucy about the hunting parties for the stag that occurred before the witch came, and then the four Pevensies themselves go on a hunt for the stag at the end of the golden age. So the stag would either have had to have been well over a hundred years old, or have had a calf (or fawn, whichever you would call it),  or possibly the white stag wasn’t really a stag, but a legend. But then, whichever one it is, the stag is never heard of again. 

What happened to the stag? How was the stag being hunted both before and after the witch’s reign? Couldn’t one of the creatures have caught the stag during their the witch’s reign, and wished for the reign to be over? These are my questions that I am currently wondering about 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 21, 2020 9:05 pm
Glenwit
(@glenwit)
NarniaWeb Nut

This is an interesting question. 

It is much more likely that the White Stag was a legend than a "mortal" animal, or even the offspring of the original white stag that was hunted in the pre-Winter era.  

In LWW, the stag's ultimate purpose, as a literary device, was to lead the Pevensies back to Lantern Waste, and ultimately back through the Wardrobe. However, as a "character", or a piece of the Narnian world, it was a pretty big deal for something that legendary to be spotted after such a long time - which would be why the four guardians of the kingdom would have hunted for it themselves. And what a fateful day in Narnian history that would turn out to be...I guess it was ultimately Aslan who worked behind the scenes to send the Pevensies back home. 

I think it's most likely that the White Stag was some sort of 'messenger' of Aslan....or maybe even Aslan himself in an alternate form.  He has been known to do that in other books (the kitten in HHB comes to mind here, as does the lamb in VDT). While that doesn't really clear up the wish-granting aspect of the legend, CS Lewis definitely left a lot up to mystery.  Perhaps the stag was found before the Winter, and actually granted wishes.  During the age of Winter, the Stag doesn't seem to have been seen or heard from.  Its presence in Narnia seems quite connected to that of Aslan.  

What also keeps bringing me back to Aslan is just how darn elderly that the White Stag would have had to be if it was still alive 100+ years later...unless of course it didn't age.  Neither does Aslan.  Coincidence?

This is the journey
This is the trial
For the hero inside us all
I can hear adventure call
Here we go

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 22, 2020 8:06 am
Courtenay liked
Geekicheep
(@geekicheep)
NarniaWeb Nut

That's one interesting theory, Glenwit!  And what a good question, Sun-muffin!  Man it's great to be back on NarniaWeb! 🙂

This is one of those unsolved mysteries that both fascinates me and drives me nuts.  Yes, obviously, as a plot device the White Stag was just there to lead the kids home (which is why I like the Aslan idea lol).  But there's another thing to consider here: when the White Stag appears, Narnia is threatened by some new enemy.  It appeared, then the Witch took over.  It appeared again, and the Golden Age ended, leaving Narnia without its kings and queens, shortly before a Telmarine invasion.  Could it be that the White Stag granted wishes to the Witch, and then to Caspian the Conqueror, and maybe a Tisroc or two?  There's no way to know for sure - which is both annoying and awesome at the same time!  I love that Narnia leaves so much to the imagination... and yet, there's so much more we would all like to know.  But regardless, I definitely think Aslan was involved somehow.  Whatever significance White Stag holds, beyond a simple plot device, is not beyond him.

PS: On an unrelated note, it's refreshing to find out I'm not the only one out there who's done a Narnia fanfic. 😀

Yes, I'm a mouse... I mean, a geek!

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 23, 2020 6:27 pm
Courtenay liked
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

The white stag could grant the wish for the Pevensies to return to our world.  But of course they might not have been always so happy to leave Narnia since our world might be somewhat drab to return to. They didn’t catch the stag so they didn’t have the option of having any wishes granted.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 2, 2020 6:47 am
Lindsaydoering
(@lindsaydoering)
NarniaWeb Regular

I have often wondered if the fact that they looked to the White Stag to grant them wishes - as opposed to placing their faith in Aslan - is what brought their reign to an end. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 26, 2021 2:07 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

The White Stag is kind of a interesting concept in The Lion, The Witch, And The Wardrobe. There's a possibility that the white stag that Pevensies hunt for towards the end may have been Aslan Himself, guiding them back to Earth.

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 11, 2021 7:26 pm
Narnian78 liked
WishingThereWasMore
(@wishingtherewasmore)
NarniaWeb Newbie

@glenwit 

I do wonder if the White Stag was modeled after something in historical literature, or something in the bible.

If historical literature, there are certain animals that have been thought to be omens, such as I believe stags and owls. I'm not studied are this topic, but I know it to be true about a certain animal or two, as I've read about it at some point in my life.

If Biblical literature, then I wonder if the Stag is an example of an angel, which is translated as a messenger. In the bible, people like Moses, along with Angels, are seen to be pure white or glowing if of God. For example, Moses comes down from Mt. Sinai, to be seen glowing so bright he had to cover himself with clothing so the people of Israel wouldn't be blinded. Another mention would be the Angel waiting on the tomb Jesus was placed in. It was said that he had "robes of pure white." So perhaps Lewis was trying to follow this imagery with celestial-ish legend of the white stag. He definitely did have it as a literary device controlled by Aslan to get the Pevensies where he wanted them (out of Narnia, for they had done what they were brought there to do).

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 28, 2021 6:17 pm
Cyberlucy
(@cyberlucy)
Member Friend of NarniaWeb
Posted by: @wishingtherewasmore

@glenwit 

I do wonder if the White Stag was modeled after something in historical literature, or something in the bible.

If historical literature, there are certain animals that have been thought to be omens, such as I believe stags and owls. I'm not studied are this topic, but I know it to be true about a certain animal or two, as I've read about it at some point in my life.

If Biblical literature, then I wonder if the Stag is an example of an angel, which is translated as a messenger. In the bible, people like Moses, along with Angels, are seen to be pure white or glowing if of God. For example, Moses comes down from Mt. Sinai, to be seen glowing so bright he had to cover himself with clothing so the people of Israel wouldn't be blinded. Another mention would be the Angel waiting on the tomb Jesus was placed in. It was said that he had "robes of pure white." So perhaps Lewis was trying to follow this imagery with celestial-ish legend of the white stag. He definitely did have it as a literary device controlled by Aslan to get the Pevensies where he wanted them (out of Narnia, for they had done what they were brought there to do).

White Stags definitely have a place in a variety of myths and legends from many ancient cultures.  One of their representations was a messenger.  In Arthurian tales it was representative of spiritual quests.  I agree that in the end of LWW it was there to lead the Pevensies out of Narnia because it was time for them to move on.  

These are only shadows of the real world

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 7, 2021 7:13 pm
Share: