Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] The Dufflepuds are real!

Page 1 / 2
Reepi
(@reepi)
NarniaWeb Nut

Well, not real entirely, but the Dufflepuds were something I have assumed were Lewis' creation, but as it turns out those too are just based on mythology. Even described as "dwarf-like", just how Lewis described them, they are also most often referred to just as "Monopods", as they are also in VotDT.

And if you remember the bit about them lying on the backs and using their giant foot as an umbrella, this picture from 1493 should ring some bells:

What do you think?

http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/9971/ymwz.jpg

Topic starter Posted : June 12, 2012 12:21 am
DiGoRyKiRkE
(@digorykirke)
The Logical Ornithological Mod Moderator

That is really fascinating, Reepi! Did you find anything about their mythology?

Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb

Posted : June 12, 2012 1:43 am
Reepi
(@reepi)
NarniaWeb Nut

I did stumble upon a wikipedia about it: Notable they are also mentioned by Pliny in something called Naturalis Historia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monopod_%28creature%29

http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/9971/ymwz.jpg

Topic starter Posted : June 13, 2012 4:03 am
MinotaurforAslan
(@minotaurforaslan)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Interesting connection, Reepi. The picture reminds me of an illustration I would see for Marco Polo's travels.

Posted : June 13, 2012 3:29 pm
Narnian_Archer
(@narnian_archer)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Very interesting - I had no idea they were actually in mythology! Very cool!!

sig by Sheroo of Stormness Head
Member of the Dragon club. PM Narnia Girl or FFJ to join.
RL sibling to De_De and wild rose

Posted : June 14, 2012 7:41 pm
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

Wow, but when you think about LWW and PC and how many mythological creatures Lewis chose to put in his world, it isn't such a surprise.

There used to be old travellers' tales, and legends of what sailors had seen at the ends of the earth.... some of the creatures found in VDT reflect these.

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

Posted : June 14, 2012 9:52 pm
Lion's Emblem
(@lions-emblem)
NarniaWeb Guru

Good find Reepi. I never thought the monopods were actually from myth, I just assumed they were part of CS Lewis' creation. Oh well- it's still fascinating.

Sig by Dernhelm_of_Rohan
NWsis to eves_daughter & ForeverFan

Posted : June 15, 2012 1:17 pm
Lilygloves
(@lilygloves)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Oh wow, that's very interesting. I had assumed that Lewis invented the idea of monopods. I was actually sort of disappointed in the movie that they did not explain that the dufflepuds used to be dwarves that were "uglified". For some reason, it seemed important to me for them to mention that to show that Lewis created them, but I guess he didn't.
So as far as I can recall, Marshwiggles are the only creatures in Narnia that are purely from Lewis's imagination, correct?

Posted : June 27, 2012 12:01 pm
7chronicles
(@7chronicles)
NarniaWeb Guru

I learned about this a few years ago while researching Mythological Creatures! :p
And I thought it was so funny!
Its always fun to see where certain people may have gotten their inspiration from! :)

The Value of myth is that it takes all the things you know and restores to them the rich significance which has been hidden by the veil of familiarity. C.S. Lewis

Posted : July 7, 2012 9:04 pm
wolfloversk
(@wolfloversk)
The Wandering, Wild & Welcoming Winged Wolf Hospitality Committee

This is interesting... I too thought they were just something he made up. I'll have to look into this more now. Thanks for the find Reepi!

I wonder what other "obscure" myths Lewis may have drawn from?

"The mountains are calling and I must go, and I will work on while I can, studying incessantly." -John Muir
"Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed." -Richard Adams, Watership Down

Posted : July 8, 2012 9:48 pm
Narnian_Badger
(@nbadger)
Mushroom mushroom Hospitality Committee

Ah, yes. ;)) I once got it into my head that I wanted to study myths (with a focus in Greek) rather extensively one year, and had a good giggle when I found the monopods (and then had to show it to everyone in the house!). :P Personally, I think the Dufflepods are even more interesting since they were inspired by an old myth... makes them seem more real, somehow.

youtube

Posted : July 9, 2012 4:07 pm
Varnafinde
(@varna)
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum Moderator

It's funny to see even more sources Lewis used for his world. He really mixed together creatures from different mythologies - dwarfs from Norse mythology, Fauns, Satyrs, Centaurs and even Bacchus from Greek and Roman mythology, Father Christmas from what you might call Christian mythology - and now this!

I hadn't heard about it before reading it here. Good find!

(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)

Posted : July 10, 2012 11:47 am
Ithilwen
(@ithilwen)
NarniaWeb Zealot

What a fascinating find! :-o I'm surprised we haven't heard of this before.

It's interesting that the myth concerning Monopods isn't more well-known. Mythology is such a popular subject, and everyone seems to know about centaurs, dwarves, minotaurs, and the like. But not too many people seem to know about Monopods. I bet a lot of people - even outside NarniaWeb - assumed it was Lewis's own creation. ;))

~Riella =:)

Posted : July 10, 2012 2:00 pm
Dinode
(@dinode)
NarniaWeb Guru

Well, there wasn't a whole lot on them in the Wikipedia article, apparently there weren't many legends about them. Lewis's portrayal of them takes up half of the page. I had thought he had invented them too, oh well.

Seeking comic book artist, PM for details.

Posted : July 12, 2012 5:43 pm
wild rose
(@wild-rose)
Member Moderator Emeritus

Wow, I didn't know that, that is so neat. I guess I shouldn't be so suprised though, Lewis borrowed a lot from mythology, most of his creatures (that are not animals) are taken from mythology. But it is an interesting discovery, cause I, like so many others, was sure that he had made them up himself :)

always be humble and kind

Posted : July 13, 2012 2:20 am
Page 1 / 2
Share: