Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

The Daughter of a Hag and a Werewolf

Tizzle
(@tizzle)
NarniaWeb Newbie

Like many, the mystery of The Lady of the Green Kirtle  (let’s call her the Green Witch to save typewriter ink) is one that has kept me thinking. Where did she come from?

Does there need to be a backstory? 

No, not really, and Lewis was always quite tight on his storyline without the need to explain everything. Even Calomen has no backstory and we can only guess whether their ancestors were of Narnian/Archenlander heritage, or whether, like the Telmarines, they entered that world through one of doorways Asian referred to in PC.

But it’s always fun to surmise! So, in the case of the Green Witch, I’m going to put out here the possibility that she was the daughter of a hag and a werewolf.

Hear me out.

Timing is everything, and it just seems odd to me that the Green Witch targeted Caspian’s family. Firstly his wife and then his son. Then it seems odd that the witch’s timeline to invade Narnia is set to coincide almost to the day of the death of Caspian. 

Coincidence? You decide, but it makes sense if the plan is to roll out Rilian as the long lost heir right at that moment, riding in on the wings of sorrow to claim his throne of a land she would  rule through him. Narnians would have clutched at a new hope and have hardly questioned the inconsistencies. 

Either way, she seems very aware, intentionally focussed even, on Caspian and his line. She even somehow knows the timing of his death as she plots her breakthrough into the sunlight with unerring accuracy. So could it be possible that the reason she knows so much about the king is that she is somehow bound to him through her parents’ death - a killing she holds him responsible.

What do we know?

1. The hag and the werewolf were together at that meeting in Aslan’s Howe. Just acquaintances, friends, or more?
  2. By dark magic they may both have been long-lived. Even the werewolf noted, “I can fast a hundred years and not die. I can lie a hundred nights on the ice and not freeze” Boasting or experience? The hag was an ‘old woman’. Deceptively old? Who knows.
  3. The werewolf was also a shapeshifter of a kind…something perhaps he also passed on via a union through the hag to father a daughter who could turn into a snake?
  4. The hag had power of a kind, too, at least enough to be able to attempt to bring back Janis, the White Witch, with some confidence.

So here’s the supposal (as Lewis would call it).

You have a daughter born of evil creatures and of magic and power. A woman now of an indeterminate age, who has an unusual connection to, and grudge, against a boy king—who was about 13 in PC—a creature who is hungry for revenge. In her eyes Caspian was responsible for her parents death, and he would be a focus of her lifelong anger. And it’s not hard to imagine in the intervening years, she makes her home in the north, befriends the giants, finds the caves under the ruined city and plots her revenge.

Around 53 years later, all her plans come to fruition. She has taken Caspian’s wife and son, and she will take his kingdom after his death.

So there it is, the daughter of a hag and a werewolf, hell-bent on revenge. Maybe it gives the daughter of Jadis theory (a pregnant Jadis slipping into Narnia from Charn, and that little morsel of the two empty chairs in the Pauline Baynes sketch of the Hall of Kings) a run for its money!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 4, 2023 7:14 am
Courtenay liked
icarus
(@icarus)
NarniaWeb Guru

How would the element of Silver fit into your theory?

Typically Werewolves are allergic to Silver, or at the very least can only be killed by a bullet made of Silver.

As such, you might imagine that someone who is half-Werewolf might prefer to build a chair out of a different metal altogether in order to avoid the risk.

That said, if you were going to give the physical Silver Chair some element of backstory, tying that in to Werewolf mythology and the associated magical properties of the metal Silver wouldn't be a bad place to start - I'm just not sure what the link would be.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 4, 2023 5:24 pm
Courtenay liked
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee

@tizzle Now that has got to be one of the most interesting and at least reasonably convincing origin theories for the Lady of the Green Kirtle / Green Witch I've ever heard! It may just end up in my own head-canon...  Grin  

Posted by: @icarus

Typically Werewolves are allergic to Silver, or at the very least can only be killed by a bullet made of Silver.

As such, you might imagine that someone who is half-Werewolf might prefer to build a chair out of a different metal altogether in order to avoid the risk.

That's a very good point and I've been thinking about it now too. I would say we don't know for certain that Narnian werewolves — or to use Lewis's spelling, Wer-Wolves — have all the same characteristics typical of werewolves in Earthly legend, and there are some notable indications that they don't.

For one thing, it's pretty standard in our world's mythology that anyone who is bitten by a werewolf, becomes a werewolf as well. (Major plot element in the Harry Potter books, of course, with poor old Remus Lupin.) This doesn't seem to happen with the one Narnian Wer-Wolf we encounter, who bites Caspian — badly enough to draw blood and to require a lot of cleaning and bandaging afterwards — during the fight in Aslan's How: "'Yes, I'm bitten,' said Caspian. 'It was that — that wolf thing.'" There's never any indication though that Caspian himself is now a Wer-Wolf, or in any danger of becoming one!

Another point: werewolves in our mythology are closely linked to the full moon. Usually that's said to be when they transform from human to wolf, and this happens automatically and there's no way the werewolf can prevent it. (See Remus Lupin again.) Whereas the Narnian Wer-Wolf can obviously change himself from man to wolf at will, and does so at the moment he's attacked, which is during the daytime. So again, apparently not the same as a typical Earth werewolf.

And then finally, if it's true that Earth werewolves can only be killed by a silver bullet, that clearly isn't the case with the Narnian Wer-Wolf, who is killed by an ordinary sword. In any case, a silver bullet would only be useful against a werewolf (or any other evil creature) in a world where gunpowder and firearms have been invented, and Narnia doesn't seem to have had those at any point in its history.

None of this absolutely proves or disproves whether silver is dangerous to Narnian Wer-Wolves, but given that they're clearly not the exact same type of creature as the werewolves of popular mythology, it seems quite likely that it isn't — or at least that that's not something Lewis had in mind when he created the one example we see in the Chronicles. Therefore if the Green Witch really was the daughter of the Hag and the Wer-Wolf in PC, that wouldn't necessarily mean she would have any problem with silver. But as it's all entirely theory anyway, we'll never know... Wink  

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 5, 2023 7:22 am
icarus liked
Col Klink
(@col-klink)
NarniaWeb Junkie

@tizzle Like you, I appreciate the idea of coming up with a backstory for the LOTGK that doesn't involve Jadis. But I don't understand why you think it's odd that she would target Caspian's family. Isn't the royal family who you would normally target if you were trying to take over a country?

For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen check out my new blog!

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 5, 2023 7:55 am
Courtenay and icarus liked
icarus
(@icarus)
NarniaWeb Guru
Posted by: @courtenay

That's a very good point and I've been thinking about it now too. I would say we don't know for certain that Narnian werewolves — or to use Lewis's spelling, Wer-Wolves — have all the same characteristics typical of werewolves in Earthly legend, and there are some notable indications that they don't.

That is true, when you consider the Werewolf from PC in isolation, you wouldn't say he has much in common with traditional Werewolf mythology at all... For one thing he appears to be permanently stuck as a 50/50 wolf-man, rather than turning from 100% man into 100% wolf....but also for all the other reasons you listed.

That said, I do feel the physical Silver Chair itself does have some hint at being related to Werewolf mythology.

As far as I remember (and it's been a while since I've read the book), when we are first introduced to the titular Silver Chair, the Black Knight explains that he has to voluntarily chain himself into the chair at night because both his mind and body undergo some form of enchanted transformation at night, and therefore he thinks he must be protected from himself.... This is obviously a fake-out and we later learn that this is actually the hour when he turns into his true self as Rilian.

To me, there are several things about this which lead me to believe that the fake-out is trying to make you think he turns into a werewolf...

• The implication of a magical transformation from man into beast (mentally and physically)
  • The fact that it happens at night
  • The fact that the chair is made of silver - the perfect metal for restraining a Werewolf

Again, I know it never says "werewolf" and I don't think it ever even says monster or beast, but the implication seems to be there that both his mind and body will be transformed into something terrifying....and why else make the chair from Silver?

Either way, even if it's just a narrative misdirection, and the whole Silver thing is just to try and subconsciously make you think "werewolf" as part of the misdirection, I'm not sure it especially helps with tying the Witch herself to a Werewolf heritage . But maybe there's something to work with there.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 5, 2023 12:09 pm
Courtenay liked
Tizzle
(@tizzle)
NarniaWeb Newbie

That said, if you were going to give the physical Silver Chair some element of backstory, tying that in to Werewolf mythology and the associated magical properties of the metal Silver wouldn't be a bad place to start - I'm just not sure what the link would be.

That’s a good point, and maybe as we try to find an answer, it makes sense  to ‘follow the silver’. 

In this ‘supposal’, we know as little about the actual silver chair as we do the Green Witch herself. Where did it come from? Did she make it herself? Steal it? Find it? Did the gnomes from Bism craft it? Or maybe it came from the race of giants that inhabited the long forgotten giant city?

And why was it a chair made out of silver in the first place? Maybe it was initially created to restrain a werewolf, employing the same magical properties of silver as the fabled bullet?

The witch uses things; people and even places, because she didn’t create the underworld. It was already there before she inhabited it and enslaved the gnomes of Bism. Perhaps she just used the chair, too, finding or inheriting it and subverting it for her own needs?

Posted by: @col-klink

@tizzle Like you, I appreciate the idea of coming up with a backstory for the LOTGK that doesn't involve Jadis. But I don't understand why you think it's odd that she would target Caspian's family. Isn't the royal family who you would normally target if you were trying to take over a country?

Perhaps odd is the wrong word. But it feels that having a plot that is in preparation for more than ten years, killing the wife and then enslaving the son, makes it quite personal.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 5, 2023 1:05 pm
Courtenay liked
icarus
(@icarus)
NarniaWeb Guru

Ok then, how's this for a grand unified theory to flesh out your original concept....

• A werewolf and a hag/witch are in love (doesn't necessarily need to be the same ones as in PC, but it can be if you want)
  • They have a child together, who being half of each species has some magic powers, and some trans-mutation powers (in this case turning into a snake)
  • In order to protect the child from the Werewolf father when he turns into an uncontrollable beast at night, the hag/witch creates the Silver Chair to constrain him on the full moon (silver being the best metal to restrain a werewolf)
  • At some point they relocate to live underground - the hag/witch because she wants to escape persecution and the Werewolf because he wants to avoid the light of the Full Moon.
  • Eventually the hag and werewolf die (killed by Caspian if you want) leaving the now teenage girl (LOTGK) with the Silver Chair in the Underground Kingdom to plot her revenge on the King and the Kingdom that wronged her.
  • However, since she is only half Hag/Witch by birth, she finds that her powers aren't as strong as a regular witch, so her enchantments only work during the day (at night her Werewolf DNA reduces the effectiveness) hence she decides to use her Father's Silver Chair to restrain her enchantment victims during these hours - also adding a sense of poetic justice to her revenge scheme.

Whilst I don't think the LOTGK necessarily needs a sympathetic backstory and motivations, nor that the Silver Chair needs an thorough in-universe explanation for it's existence, I do like that your Werewolf theory is capable of neatly connecting the dots on quite a lot of pertinent plot points without needing to add a lot of new concepts into the mix.

Also, bonus fun fact - in Michael Ward's "Planet Narnia" theory, the Silver Chair is the book which corresponds to the Moon, so that's another potential Werewolf tie-in.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 5, 2023 4:02 pm
Cobalt Jade
(@cobalt-jade)
NarniaWeb Nut

I still think the Green Witch is some kind of Naga (Indian snake-person.) Or a Dark Fae (Unseelie)

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 6, 2023 10:59 am
Tizzle
(@tizzle)
NarniaWeb Newbie
  •  

Whilst I don't think the LOTGK necessarily needs a sympathetic backstory and motivations, nor that the Silver Chair needs an thorough in-universe explanation for it's existence, I do like that your Werewolf theory is capable of neatly connecting the dots on quite a lot of pertinent plot points without needing to add a lot of new concepts into the mix

Loving your synopsis which is very much along the lines of how I was imagining it. 

It often seems that filmmakers are looking for a ‘red thread’ as they develop a storyline into a movie. Something that holds it together and gives the plot direction if they feel the original story lacks it . You could see that in the Dawn Treader movie with the idea of the malevolent green mist to add drama to the search for the seven Lords. One could quite imagine that a Netflix adaptation of the Silver Chair would look to widen the narrative to include more backstory, and then look for a new thread to pull it all together. Who knows, maybe they will find something in these ideas!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 6, 2023 3:17 pm
Share: