Narnia In Translation

Page 2 / 2
Cobalt Jade
(@cobalt-jade)
NarniaWeb Nut

I've seen two Spanish translations for The Horse and His Boy:

El Caballo y el Muchacho

El Caballo y su Nino

I suspect the Nino one is from Mexico. Here's the cover. Bree was NOT a Pinto!

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 3, 2020 12:28 pm
Crunchy-P
(@queencrunchytheweeb)
NarniaWeb Regular
Posted by: @courtenay

Or, if you haven't read the Chronicles in another language yet, is there a language you'd especially like to read them in some day?

I would like to read them in Japanese! I have the Kadokawa Tsubasa Bunko version of LWW so far and PC is currently on the way! I can only read Katakana right now so I recognize a lot of the character's names but can't understand a lot of the text. I am teaching different hiragana to myself so I can read it easier and the Tsubasa Bunko version has hiragana under the kanji to make it far easier to understand. Another reason why I want to read that version is because of the art style. No more Pauline Baynes' art and hello to Nardack's art! Nardack stylized the illustrations to be of an anime style which is very unique something no other Narnia translation has done as far as I'm concerned. Please keep in mind this translation is very new only coming out only in 2018, which is 5 years after Lewis' work entered public domain in Japan.

The title for the Voyage of the Dawn Treader is very unique as it is called 竜の島と世界の果て in Japanese which when Google Translated means "Dragon Island and the End of the World."

"Have a Narnian Day!" (ナルニアの日を過ごしましょう!)

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 27, 2023 6:00 pm
Courtenay liked
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee

@queencrunchytheweeb Ooer, gosh, I did Japanese to Year 12 level (last year of high school in Australia, where I grew up) and I wouldn't have had enough fluency to read a full-length children's novel!! Not such a difficult language grammatically, but a big effort to read it with those three writing systems in play simultaneously.  Good that you've got the furigana (hiragana transliteration of the kanji) there — that's always a huge help. Do you have a connection with Japan, then? 

That's quite a unique title for VDT! I'd be interested to hear what they translated the ship's name as. "Dawn Treader" is an unusual name for a ship even in English, since a ship (not having feet) can't literally "tread" anywhere! Giggle  

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 27, 2023 6:14 pm
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee

@queencrunchytheweeb Ooer, gosh, I did Japanese to Year 12 level (last year of high school in Australia, where I grew up) and I wouldn't have had enough fluency to read a full-length children's novel!! Not such a difficult language grammatically, but a big effort to read it with those three writing systems in play simultaneously.  Good that you've got the furigana (hiragana transliteration of the kanji) there — that's always a huge help. Do you have a connection with Japan, then? 

That's quite a unique title for VDT! I'd be interested to hear what they translated the ship's name as. "Dawn Treader" is an unusual name for a ship even in English, since a ship (not having feet) can't literally "tread" anywhere! Giggle  

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 27, 2023 6:15 pm
Crunchy-P
(@queencrunchytheweeb)
NarniaWeb Regular
Posted by: @courtenay

I like Japanese though I don't have enough fluency to read it though I am planning on it once I learn. I have no blood relations with Japan as far as I'm aware and according to Drinian's profile when Google translated it says he's the captain of The Beyond the Dawn which I assume is the name for Dawn Treader in Japan.

"Have a Narnian Day!" (ナルニアの日を過ごしましょう!)

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 27, 2023 7:02 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share: