Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Misreadings From Childhood (or your first read)

Page 2 / 2
The Bulldog
(@reshpeckabiggle)
NarniaWeb Regular

"Yes," said Queen Lucy, "In our world, too, a Stable once had something inside it that was bigger than our whole world."

I guess I was around 10 when I became immersed into the Narnia Chronicles. In my first reading of the final chapters of The Last Battle,  Lucy's statement did not register with me properly because I had no knowledge or belief of the life of Christ. So I attributed Lucy's odd statement to the fact that in Lucy's world a wardrobe seemingly contained inside of it the entire world of Narnia. In the ensuing years I became a believer, but in subsequent readings of the Narnia books never bothered to rethink my careless interpretation of this quote. I must have been about 30 years old, at least a dozen visits through these stories, when I read that passage and the enormity of what Lucy was actually saying finally reached my little brain.  It would be impossible to communicate the stunning “O…my…dear…God” feeling I experienced when this happened!

I object to that remark very strongly!

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 24, 2022 9:16 pm
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee
Posted by: @reshpeckabiggle

I must have been about 30 years old, at least a dozen visits through these stories, when I read that passage and the enormity of what Lucy was actually saying finally reached my little brain.  It would be impossible to communicate the stunning “O…my…dear…God” feeling I experienced when this happened!

That's quite beautiful, honestly, Bulldog. I can perhaps imagine a little how it felt, as I've had some moments like that in my own faith journey — not in the same way or with that same passage, but enough that I can only conclude He definitely has a sense of humour!! Wink Star  

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 25, 2022 1:29 pm
Kokoro Hane
(@kokoro-hane)
NarniaWeb Regular

The only one I can recall, and probably the only "misreading" I ever done (I think anyway lol), was when I read LWW for the first time concerning Jadis' bloodline. The part about her being related to Lilith, I had misread it as Jadis being Lilith herself lol and thinking whoa... that's.... very weird... well I still think seeing anything related to Lillith showing up in the book at all (but never brought up again) is just weird in general due to all the theological problems it causes, but when you think about it that detail is pretty much retconned in MW anyway which fits so much better. But anyways, that's about the only misreading I remember lol.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 28, 2022 6:46 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share: