Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Gods and Goddesses of Calormen

Page 2 / 2
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

@jasmine_tarkheena in my youth we didn't have a lot of fantasy books full of dark evil spiritual beings. Children's books were not intended for study and spiritual discernment of evil beings. Smile  

50 years on, half the Children's books and most of the YA ones have that dark side.  I think I prefer the books from the 50s and 60s!

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 6, 2022 2:28 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

Well, I'm sure you all know that no writer is perfect. I'm sure CS Lewis was aware that his characters, except for Aslan, are not without flaws, because he himself wasn't without flaws.

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 6, 2022 2:44 pm
Cobalt Jade
(@cobalt-jade)
NarniaWeb Nut

I've always thought -- even as a child when I read the books -- that Lewis did not go into detail about the deities in The Horse and His Boy because they were just window dressing. The reader wasn't supposed to believe they were real. They were the markers of a pagan culture that didn't know Aslan (God, in the Judeo Christian sense) and didn't know any better. Because the deities weren't real they had no power.

In The Last Battle he retconned a bit, depicting Tash as evil, or rather a symbol for the evil that men do in his name -- like sacrificing humans and killing dryads and lying and cheating. When the symbol of evil actually turns out to be a real being, the caca hits the fan and everyone freaks because the Calormenes in power were so sure he wasn't.

Now I take the Aslan-Tash mashup to be an augument against moral relativism way before its time!

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 7, 2022 11:26 am
Courtenay liked
Page 2 / 2
Share: