Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Favorite Narnian Villain

Page 7 / 9
Aslanisthebest
(@aslanisthebest)
NarniaWeb Fanatic

I'm not really into enjoying their villainy, or pardoning their villainy on account of their brilliance, because I feel they were placed in the story to convey a deep purpose. Some were part comic relief, which is why Uncle Andrew gets a part vote from me. (and, too, he wasn't the direct villain in TMN; Jadis was.) I think he was one of the most well-developed semi-villains, considering he was nigh half mad, yet still had a large amount of villainy in him. Rabadash, also, had some funny moments. If judging who was over-all the most vile, as the poll states, I'd have to say Jadis strikes me as the worst. Maybe this is because LWW was the first book written and for that reason, she was the direct force of evil. Tash probably came off as the most frightening to me, Shift the most crafty; Jadis had a certain cold evilness. Even though I say "Jadis," pretty much all the major villains come off to me as vile/creepy/never-want-to-meet-this-person-without-Aslan-ever. ;))

RL Sibling: CSLewisNarnia

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 9, 2012 6:20 pm
SnakeEyes
(@snakeeyes)
NarniaWeb Regular

The White Witch of course! She was so cold-hearted and mean it was hard not to see her as completely evil. I used to call her something else though :)

Proud Satanist

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 23, 2012 7:11 pm
7chronicles
(@7chronicles)
NarniaWeb Guru

Jadis/White Witch, She was the first villain in Narnia!
She really is cold-hearted.
She destroyed all of Charn and put Narnia under the 100 years winter enchantment.
And I love how she ties into the overall story of Narnia. :)

Uncle Andrew gets second place! ;)

The Value of myth is that it takes all the things you know and restores to them the rich significance which has been hidden by the veil of familiarity. C.S. Lewis

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 7, 2012 8:45 pm
Andriel
(@andriel)
NarniaWeb Nut

Maugrim.
No Doubt about it! He is SO creepy!
Especially in the BBC version!

~Andriel

Previously DP Dessa
My RL sibs are Adeona, NarnianCricket, and DancingPrincesses.
Im a HUGE Fan of The Avengers!!!!!!!!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 7, 2012 8:59 pm
Ithilwen
(@ithilwen)
NarniaWeb Zealot

I voted for Jadis. I loved her fierce temper. And she has so little knowledge of how our world works, it made MN quite amusing. ;))

I also like Ginger and Uncle Andrew. :)

~Riella =:)

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 8, 2012 10:35 am
AstroWolfD
(@astrowolfd)
Member Hospitality Committee

Jadis is the most evil of them all by far, but I voted for Miraz as my favorite. Why? I guess it's because it seems like you could run into someone like him in our world in some shape or form (as weird as that sounds :p ). I guess that might even apply to others on the list as well...

Sig by the Wonderful wolfloversk
AROOOOOOO!!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 8, 2012 5:43 pm
DancingPrincesses
(@dancingprincesses)
NarniaWeb Junkie

I voted Tash, the description where he is seen gliding through the trees always terrified me more than any of the other descriptions of the villains C.S. Lewis had in the Narnia books.

My RL sibs are Adeona, Mars Aviator, Lizzle, NarnianCricket, and Andriel

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 8, 2012 6:15 pm
Varnafinde
(@varna)
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum Moderator

I voted for The Lady of the Green Kirtle.
She's such a clever villain.

She tricked Eustace and Jill by talking very sweetly to them (in such a lovely voice, too) and encouraging their desperate desire for warm rooms and hot food. Then she almost got them to submit to her magic when they had met Prince Rilian. And what she did to him ...

It's interesting that at last - when Puddleglum destroys most of her magic fire - she gives up trying to sound lovely, and shouts at them.
Before changing into her serpent form ...

(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 9, 2012 4:10 pm
Narnian_Badger
(@nbadger)
Mushroom mushroom Hospitality Committee

This is quite the toss-up. In terms of "favourite", I suppose you could say it'd be Jadis, especially in MN. She's... I don't know, evilly regal? Regally evil? Her complete disregard for human life is chilling, and her monologue in Charn, when she exposes its end, is... gah. That freaked me right out when I was younger. Now it just freaks me out somewhat. :P Jadis's magic was never explored as much as I'd have liked, but I do find it interesting that she was so willing to use the Deplorable Word almost as soon as she got to Earth. She intrigues me.

In terms of which one I find most interesting, I think that'd be The Lady of the Green Kirdle. Her method for taking over Narnia was on a smaller, more intimate level than Jadis's, the Telmarines', or Rabadash's, and the break from the norm was appreciated. And of course there's the ever popular question, Where did she come from?

In terms of the vilest, though, that'd be Shift. I can't stand that monkey, at all. He made me so, so angry the first time I read it, and I still skip his parts and just read Puzzle's whenever I read LB over again. Tash is frightening, I suppose, but he's not the top villain (mainly because he doesn't have enough material to work with).

youtube

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 13, 2012 11:53 am
ncfan
(@ncfan)
NarniaWeb Newbie

For me, it has to be Rabadash. He's one of those villains that I didn't think much of when I was a kid, but when I read The Horse and his Boy again as an adult, and realized exactly what his intentions for Susan were, I shuddered. What an utterly vile man.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 26, 2013 9:10 am
PhelanVelvel
(@phelanvelvel)
NarniaWeb Nut

Jadis in The Magician's Nephew is one of the best villains in any book I've ever read. Of course, Narnia is my favourite series, so I'm a bit biased. But she's not just evil. This is no shallow villainy. This is arrogance, fierceness, hunger for power and the desire to subjugate. There is something I almost like about her. Her tenacity, perhaps? The way she is just so confident and wild and just doesn't care about anything or anyone. She just thinks the world belongs to her and owes her something. And she rebels against Aslan in a way that I find almost courageous, if she were not so cruel. At the end of the day, she's bad, I don't want to hang with her and get enslaved or killed. But she's more complex than simply evil, just as Aslan is more complex than simply good, if you take the time to analyse things more closely. Dare I say, "a dem fine woman"? :P MN probably had the best closing paragraph of all the books.

I don't know who on earth they would cast to play her in a film adaptation, but they would have to do better than Tilda Swinton's White Witch. She wasn't fierce, proud, cruel, alluring, tempting, or wild enough. Jadis reminds me a bit of Queen of Pain from Dota 2, but that's a reference I don't know how many people here will get.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 28, 2013 7:50 pm
AnimalOfNarnia
(@animalofnarnia)
NarniaWeb Regular

I'd have to say Maugrim.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 9, 2013 6:52 pm
aaronnz
(@aaronnz)
NarniaWeb Regular

Mine is Maugrim (LWW) is is SO awesome.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 24, 2014 3:39 pm
aileth
(@aileth)
Member Moderator

While I wouldn't say that he is the worst villain in the Chronicles, I think he is my favourite. I love how he is hoist on his own petard, and how it is his own fault, because he was offered grace and the chance to repent, and refused it.

He struck me as being ridiculous from the start, but dangerous as well. After his conversion to another form, he was just plain ridiculous. Definitely not the picture of the most knightly of characters.

Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 12, 2014 5:12 am
The Rose-Tree Dryad
(@rose)
Secret Garden Agent Moderator

I chose the Lady of the Green Kirtle, with Jadis being in second place.

While Jadis is terrifying, she never quite gets under your skin the way the LotGK is able to do so. The LotGK is very good at reading people, and she knows just what to say to get you to do what she wants and she plays on your worst fears. Jadis is so obviously evil and it's easy to know that you should steer clear from her, but the LotGK is insidious and she creeps up on you. She is also very clever and even has an intellectual debate of sorts with the questers and Prince Rilian, which is really fascinating to read.

And lastly, she can turn into a giant snake! How terrifying is that?! ;))

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 12, 2014 9:56 am
Page 7 / 9
Share: