Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

An interesting find

NiceMice2023
(@nicemice2023)
NarniaWeb Regular

So I was looking at an online version of the text of VDT, and it contains this image from Coriakin’s book.

This is the only picture included in the text, and I’m curious if anyone knows where it originated, since it’s not one of the original illustrations.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 25, 2023 4:12 pm
Col Klink
(@col-klink)
NarniaWeb Junkie

I'm not seeing the image in your post. Can you try uploading it again? 

For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen check out my new blog!

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 25, 2023 4:56 pm
NiceMice2023
(@nicemice2023)
NarniaWeb Regular

I’m having trouble uploading, so I’ll just share the link:

http://www.samizdat.qc.ca/arts/lit/PDFs/VoyageoftheDawnTreader_CSL.pdf

The picture is on page 83. There’s actually also some illustrations at the end of the last two chapters.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 25, 2023 5:31 pm
Col Klink liked
icarus
(@icarus)
NarniaWeb Guru

I would perhaps assume, given that the publisher of that PDF is doing so under a claim of Public Domain in Canada, that there must have been an extant copyright or trademark issue preventing them from using the original Pauline Baynes illustration... Therefore since they appear to be very keen to emphasize how above-board their republication of the text is with respect to Canadian Copyright law, but say nothing of the images, I would perhaps assume they are the copyright holders themselves for those images - i.e because they created them their selves.

Pure guesswork, but that's what I'd assume.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 25, 2023 5:52 pm
Col Klink liked
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

@icarus
In my experience of ebooks (5 years of Kindle), there are almost no pictures at all.

It is true that Narnia is out of copyright in Canada [this prevented the Estate stopping an awful stage production in the Niagara area, with a female Aslan among other abhominations]. I believe that the Estate did write to them about it, but couldn't force their hand.

The introduction suggests an earnest Canadian keeping up the national ethic of politeness and graciousness. 

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 25, 2023 8:41 pm
Col Klink liked
Cobalt Jade
(@cobalt-jade)
NarniaWeb Nut

I've got the Chronicles from Canada as well, I downloaded them as PDF files. In mine there are no interior illustrations because of copyright issues. But the Baynes  illustrations on the covers are there.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 26, 2023 10:02 am
Share: