Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Greta Gerwig to direct Narnia movies?

Page 4 / 4
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

@rose 

Noted. On that note, I would say it might be interesting to see a woman's take on directing a Narnia movie. Who knows? Maybe Greta Gerwig will end up directing all seven.

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

Posted : June 27, 2023 7:12 pm
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee

Considering it's about 8 months since this rumour came up and we've heard absolutely nothing about it since, I'm guessing it's pretty safe to assume it was never true at all. Or if Netflix did approach Greta Gerwig with a Narnia proposal, presumably she turned it down and nothing more was said. Either way, it now looks pretty much certain that this isn't going to happen.

For myself, I'm not particularly interested in the gender or nationality or whatever of the director of the next Narnia adaptation, if and when there is one — I'm mainly concerned that it'll be someone who truly loves the original books and wants to bring them to life on the screen in a way that does them justice, rather than heavily rewriting them to turn them into something more "exciting" or "relevant to modern audiences"... Eyeroll Eyebrow  

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

Posted : June 28, 2023 1:50 am
coracle liked
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

It may or not happened. Nothing has been confirmed about Greta Gerwig as of 8 months ago.

I'm not worried about whether it would be a male or a female director doing Narnia. I would like the Narnia films or series to stay close to the books as much as possible. Though I understand that some things will have to require changes to make it work for a new medium. Though I don't really like saying, "Books and movies aren't the same thing." While it is true, we've heard it so many times. Yet there are book purists who wouldn't even like the smallest changes.

I'm not a purist. I like Narnia film or series adaptation to stay close to the book. Though I acknowledge the need to make some changes or have some additions. I also understand some things they'll probably have to tweak. For instance, I would like so much for my favorite scene, where Emeth meets with Aslan to be 100% from the book. Yet, it may not happen that way. I understand that they may have to tweak it or even rush through it.

As for Greta Gerwig, as nothing has been confirmed, it may not happen.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

Posted : June 28, 2023 8:55 am
Col Klink
(@col-klink)
NarniaWeb Junkie

@jasmine_tarkheena I noticed you keep saying that you don't mind the director being a woman. Has there actually been someone on this forum who has expressed displeasure with the idea of a female director for Narnia? It seems an odd thing to keep repeating.

This post was modified 10 months ago by Col Klink

For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen check out my new blog!

Posted : June 28, 2023 10:57 am
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

@col-klink 

It's nothing against male or female directors. Though to your point, I'm sure there are some who would object to a woman directing Narnia, whether it's Greta Gerwig or not.

Regardless if Narnia has a male or female director, I am just as concerned as any fans of the books on here.

I think what Andrew Adamson got right was the child like wonder in Lucy when she first encounters Narnia. There was a minor change where she went into the wardrobe during the game of hide and seek instead of the exploration like in the book. But the child like wonder still counts for something.

So regardless of whether the director will be a man or a woman, there's still things about Narnia to be concerned about. Though I'm sure there are some Narnia fans out there who would not be a fan of the idea of a woman directing Narnia.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

Posted : June 28, 2023 11:15 am
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
Posted by: @jasmine_tarkheena

I'm sure there are some who would object to a woman directing Narnia, whether it's Greta Gerwig or not....

... I'm sure there are some Narnia fans out there who would not be a fan of the idea of a woman directing Narnia.

This is again getting off the specific topic of this thread and it would perhaps better go somewhere else if we're going to have an extended discussion about it... but seriously, I'm baffled. Why on earth would anyone think — let alone be sure — that there are Narnia fans who would object to having a female director for a Narnia movie?

This isn't a religious argument as to whether or not women should be allowed to preach or lead worship services (a debate that is as old as Christianity itself and about which different denominations have come to different conclusions, which naturally is not a subject for discussion in this forum). Directing a film or TV production is a secular occupation, even if the production has religious themes. There is no logical or valid argument whatsoever that a woman should have less of a right to do that, or would be less capable of doing it, than a man. And if anyone did object to a woman directing a Narnia adaptation simply because she was a woman, that would be far more sexist than anything the Narnia books themselves have ever been accused of.

I'm pretty sure everyone here so far is in agreement that having a director who loves the Narnia books and sticks closely to the spirit of them is far more important than the gender of the director. And just going by the community here on NarniaWeb, let alone worldwide, there are clearly just as many women as men who love the Narnia books! Smile  So where could any objections possibly be coming from? (Again, if this is going to become an extended discussion, we've already been advised that it should go in another thread.)

(Prince Caspian)

Posted : June 28, 2023 1:42 pm
Col Klink
(@col-klink)
NarniaWeb Junkie

@jasmine_tarkheena the reason I brought it up is that you mentioned the director's gender twice in this thread (three times counting your response to me), like you're trying to get people to argue about it. Since the only people who have responded to you have been indifferent on the subject, you (unintentionally, I'm sure) look like you're looking for controversy where there is none. 

By now, I imagine some Narnia fans would be happy to hear that their least favorite director on Earth had been hired to do a Narnia adaptation. LOL  

This post was modified 10 months ago by Col Klink

For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen check out my new blog!

Posted : June 28, 2023 2:29 pm
Courtenay liked
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
Posted by: @col-klink

By now, I imagine some Narnia fans would be happy to hear that their least favorite director on Earth had been hired to do a Narnia adaptation. LOL  

Oh, don't... now I'm suddenly having visions of some "slasher film" director turning the Chronicles into a blood-and-gore fest!! Shocked D\'oh ROFL   (that laughing one is to show this is a joke — well, I hope — and NOT something I actually want to happen)

(Prince Caspian)

Posted : June 28, 2023 2:36 pm
icarus
(@icarus)
NarniaWeb Guru
Posted by: @courtenay

Considering it's about 8 months since this rumour came up and we've heard absolutely nothing about it since, I'm guessing it's pretty safe to assume it was never true at all. Or if Netflix did approach Greta Gerwig with a Narnia proposal, presumably she turned it down and nothing more was said. Either way, it now looks pretty much certain that this isn't going to happen.

There is a part of me that thinks you are right, in that its been a long time since the story broke and nothing has come of it.... However there is part of me which thinks it is odd that we haven't heard any other names in the frame since.

I can kind of imagine a sequence of events whereby late last year Netflix re-committed themselves to finally doing something with their Narnia franchise, and they approached Greta Gerwig as their number 1 choice to direct. She might not have necessarily turned them down outright, but obviously with her commitment to finishing Barbie, and her pregnancy to focus on, she very likely would not have been in a good position to say yes to Narnia right then and there.

The question is then, how dead-set on Greta Gerwig was Netflix? Enough for them to wait a year or so for her to finish Barbie and then take a period of maternity leave? Perhaps? The fact that Netflix haven't noticeably moved on to anyone else perhaps is an indicator that they are willing to wait for the director they want, rather than take a second choice?

Maybe that's all just wishful thinking, but there's maybe a 10% chance for me that this story isn't entirely dead. See what happens in the New Year maybe.

Posted : June 28, 2023 3:41 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

@col-klink Oh, I'm not trying to find any controversy. If I did, as you said, it was unintentional. I am just as a skeptic as any Narnia fan.

@courtenay I wouldn't want Narnia to be turned into slasher films either. I've watched murder mystery shows and I am a fan of thriller. Narnia is full of mysteries. But no slasher film Narnia.

Now back on topic, if Greta Gerwig did end up as the director for Narnia films or series, obviously, I can't expect her to do 1 on 1. And non of us should expect 1 on 1 adaptation.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

Posted : June 29, 2023 8:28 am
PrinceRillianIX
(@rilianix)
NarniaWeb Regular
The Rose-Tree Dryad
(@rose)
Secret Garden Agent Moderator

Now that this rumor appears to be confirmed, please continue your discussion here in General Movie Discussion! Exciting news. Smile

Posted : July 3, 2023 9:47 am
Page 4 / 4
Share: