Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] 3 – The Sailing of the King

Page 2 / 2
Pattertwigs Pal
(@twigs)
Member Moderator

1. What do you think of Glimfeather?
I like him. I think he seems very owlish.

2. How do you feel about Glimfeather often ending sentences with “ooo”? Funny? Cheesy?

I absolutely love it. It seems just like how owls ought to talk. I did a bulletin board for Valentine’s Day with owls on it. The title was “Who’s your tu-wu love?”

4. Why doesn’t Glimfeather introduce himself to the children?
They didn’t ask him his name but rather where they were. Glimfeather was so interested in the two strangers who had just landed that formalities probably slipped his mind.

6. Scrubb says finding Caspian in his eighties is “worse than coming back and finding him dead.” Do you think this is how you would feel?
I don’t know. I think Movie Aristotle brought up a good point about how hard it is to be in a different life stage than peers. I also like Eustace’s (the NarniaWebber) example of someone she hadn’t seen since she was ten getting married. It is a disconnect. I think either way it would not be a pleasant feeling. I tend to think of my former Sunday school students or preschoolers as they were when I had them in my class. Then when I see how much they have grown or changed, it feels odd. It reminds me that even though I don’t feel any older I have gotten older. Eustace is in the unique position of not really changing when someone else has. I suspect he feels his inexperience and youth greatly. After all that, I am no closer to deciding which I would prefer then when I started.

7. Why does it never occur to Jill to simply write down the signs?

Aslan told her to memorize them. If she had to keep looking at her notes, she would very well be looking down at them when she should be looking at her surroundings. It is better to memorize somethings than to rely on notes. I can write down definitions to words but it would make reading very cumbersome if I had to keep looking at it. It makes me think of these verses: 18 “Therefore, you shall impress these words of mine on your heart and on your soul, and tie them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as [h]bands (frontals, frontlets) on your forehead. 19 You shall teach them [diligently] to your children [impressing God’s precepts on their minds and penetrating their hearts with His truths], speaking of them when you sit in your house and when you walk along the road and when you lie down and when you rise up. Deuteronomy 11:18-19

8. Why does Lewis bother to describe the story Jill and Scrubb hear over dinner? Is it anything more than a fun tease for The Horse and His Boy?

The chronicles are rather loosely connected so this is a way to connect 2 stories that otherwise wouldn’t connect and establish the history of Narnia.

NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King

Topic starter Posted : March 21, 2020 11:42 am
Col Klink
(@col-klink)
NarniaWeb Junkie

When I was a little kid and I'd read in a book that the characters heard a story or read a book, I'd want to know what that story or that book was about. (This was before I understood how hard it is to come up with just one story, let alone a story within a story.) So I really like that Lewis tells us what the story Jill and Eustace heard was. ;))

For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen check out my new blog!

Posted : March 21, 2020 2:25 pm
aileth
(@aileth)
Member Moderator

7.Why does it never occur to Jill to simply write down the signs?

Don't know why--but I can think of one reason why she maybe shouldn't have written them down. What if she had, and they had fallen into the wrong hands? Enter the villain! I think she would have had to lose them one way or the other. After all, there wouldn't be much story if they had followed the signs exactly (or at least a very different story).

Too, if she had done it perfectly, and consequently had no remorse and no striving to do better, she might not have learned the real lesson she needed, which was to trust Aslan, no matter what happened. Or imagine if they had got the first three signs right, became complacent, and muffed the fourth.

When I was a little kid and I'd read in a book that the characters heard a story or read a book, I'd want to know what that story or that book was about. (This was before I understood how hard it is to come up with just one story, let alone a story within a story.) So I really like that Lewis tells us what the story Jill and Eustace heard was. ;))

Yes, and often he did leave us hanging, without explaining details, so it's nice that he was kind to us. But if all the other hinted-at stories were as good as HHB, I wish he had written them all :((

Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle

Posted : March 21, 2020 5:46 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share: