Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Chapter 16: What Happened about the Statues

daughter of the King
(@dot)
Princess Dot Moderator

1. The BBC mini-series, the Walden Movie, the animated version, and the Focus on the family radio version all leave out the scene with the other lion running around telling the other animals about what Aslan said and Aslan loading him up with a lot of creatures. What, if anything, does this scene at to the story? What do you think it was left of adaptations?

2. Lewis points out that the evil creatures ". . . looked even stranger and more evil and more deformed" in the daylight than they did at night. Why do you think he does this?

3. What caught your attention in this chapter? What were your favorite/least parts?

ahsokasig
Narniaweb sister to Pattertwig's Pal

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : November 16, 2013 4:38 am
ValiantArcher
(@valiantarcher)
BC Head and G&B Mod Moderator

1. I think the scene with the lion running around is kind of funny and shows that lions aren't inherently noble and wise. But, I think it was left out of all the adaptations because it kind of detracts from the whole joyous, fast-paced charge out of the castle. I think it could be worked in, but was probably more seen as something that breaks you out of the mood, if that makes sense.

2. I hadn't thought about this before, but maybe it has something to do with the fact that things usually look scarier during the night than they do during the day, and so when you see something during the day that looked scary at night, you usually think, "Oh, that's not so bad..." But I think Lewis is emphasizing that the evil creatures really are evil and not just misled.

Death is swallowed up in victory.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 16, 2014 12:56 pm
You Will Find Me Bigger
(@you-will-find-me-bigger)
NarniaWeb Regular

Maybe Lewis included the other lion to emphasize that Aslan wasn't special because he was a lion... he was special because he was Aslan. The other lion is cute and likable and just a little bit pathetic, eager to identify himself with the "big lion" (something a lot of us can relate to!). I think it's mostly a way of adding a touch of comedy to the scene, which as ValiantArcher noted, may be why it got left out of the adaptations - for pacing/ mood reasons, since that is generally not a "comic" part of the story. Also, for the movies, it might be a little harder to accomplish visually what Lewis accomplished with words, emphasizing that the other lion didn't have anything like Aslan's grandeur and majesty.

I think the evil creatures looked even more evil in daylight because daylight exposes what things really are. Daylight is healthy and normal and comforting, and makes evil look even worse by contrast.

You can call me Willow if you want to.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 21, 2014 3:15 pm
ValiantArcher
(@valiantarcher)
BC Head and G&B Mod Moderator

Oooh, very good point, Willow! I hadn't thought about how the other lion could be used to show that Aslan wasn't special because he was a lion. Especially because I don't really remember any other lions showing up in the series; am I forgetting them?

Death is swallowed up in victory.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 1, 2014 5:55 pm
Pattertwigs Pal
(@twigs)
Member Moderator

1. The BBC mini-series, the Walden Movie, the animated version, and the Focus on the family radio version all leave out the scene with the other lion running around telling the other animals about what Aslan said and Aslan loading him up with a lot of creatures. What, if anything, does this scene at to the story? What do you think it was left of adaptations?
This is one of my favorite scenes. I love the humor of it and the image/idea of Aslan calming him down that way. Budget reasons or to get to the action faster.
2. Lewis points out that the evil creatures ". . . looked even stranger and more evil and more deformed" in the daylight than they did at night. Why do you think he does this?
To highlight how bad and scary they were.
3. What caught your attention in this chapter? What were your favorite/least parts?
I like the part with the other lion and the giant and Lucy.

NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 1, 2014 1:33 pm
Ryadian
(@rya)
Member Moderator

As for why it's left out--I think it was probably left out of most adaptations because the creators thought it would kill the pacing. By that point in the story, most adaptations are trying to bring it around to the ending--either to the battle or just to the conclusion of the story. The book, having its chapter format, is a little bit more "episodic", and because of that having "aside" moments--like the romp with Aslan after his resurrection, and the moments establishing Rumblebuffin's character--are more concerned with fitting the tone and pacing of the chapter rather than the overall story, whereas movies are more concerned about fitting in every moment with its neighboring scenes.

Maybe Lewis included the other lion to emphasize that Aslan wasn't special because he was a lion... he was special because he was Aslan. The other lion is cute and likable and just a little bit pathetic, eager to identify himself with the "big lion" (something a lot of us can relate to!).

I never thought about this before, but I think that's a very likely reason, as well as what Valia and Twigs said about the humor. I also love this scene, and have very fond memories of my dad reading it to us and making us all laugh no matter how many times we'd heard it before.

I like what Valia said about the daylight making it clear that these creatures are evil. I also think, along the lines of what Willow said, that it's because these creatures don't belong in the daylight--they belong in the darkness of night, and being seen clearly by day makes them seem even more unnatural and evil than they do otherwise.

N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 15, 2014 4:07 pm
Movie Aristotle
(@risto)
NarniaWeb Junkie

It is certainly a comic element, which is probably why it was written.

The other lion was probably left out of the adaptations to make Aslan more unique as a character. Walden's lion, who only got a cameo, didn't even have a mane, and looked something more like a cougar (mountain lion).

Purely imaginatively, I'd assume that the shadows of the night hid some of their gruesome details, which were revealed by the daylight.

As to why Lewis chose to include that detail?... I'm not sure, other than to reinforce their horribleness during the climactic battle.

Movie Aristotle, AKA Risto

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 30, 2014 7:49 pm
Share: