Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Chapter 7 - Queer Lodgings

Lady Arwen
(@wren)
The Mermod Moderator

1. What do you think of Beorn? Do you think he is a human who can change into a bear or a bear that can change into a human? In other words, which set of characteristics (human or bear) are more dominant?
2. Why did Gandalf tell Bilbo he was supposed to be taking care of the Dwarves for him?
3. Why do you think it was so important for the dwarves and Bilbo to stay inside at night? Why do you think the bears had a dancing night?
4. How did Beorn know what Bilbo had said about the Wargs and goblins after Gandalf had returned?
5. Why do you think the dwarves seemed to expect Gandalf to come with them, even after he had told them so many times when he would be leaving?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : November 3, 2012 7:43 am
ValiantArcher
(@valiantarcher)
BC Head and G&B Mod Moderator

1. Gandalf seems to indicate that Beorn is a human that changes into a bear. He certainly has both characteristics, but I think he does seem more human than bear-ish.

2. ;)) Maybe because Bilbo is less likely to rush into situations that are going to get him killed? The Dwarves are on a grand heroic quest to take back the Mountain from Smaug---Bilbo pretty much just wants to go home. The Dwarves also seem more stubborn than Bilbo, and a little less adaptable/clever. There's a reason one of the Dwarves isn't the Burglar. ;))

3. I don't think Beorn can "control" the other animals, at least certainly not to the extent to guarantee that a party of intrusive Dwarves and a Hobbit would be safe from harm, much less being eaten. I'm guessing that the dancing night is similar to the one in PC---an actual council as well as a party.

4. Well, the animals that served Beorn were still about in the house, and I think it very likely that they passed on what Bilbo had said to Beorn. :)

5. Probably because they almost died several times already, and he's the only thing that's been saving them. ;)) Also, they were likely hoping he'd change his mind---they don't know what his other business is, and they probably secretly think it's not near as important as keeping them alive. ;))

Death is swallowed up in victory.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 3, 2012 1:23 pm
GlimGlum
(@glimglum)
Member Moderator

Good answers, Valia.

1. My impression with reading has always been that he is human who can shift into animal forms.

2. Bilbo is probably a bit more thoughtful than emotional. I wonder if Gandalf suspected Bilbo may have a special aid (the ring) without knowing exactly what it was?

3a. Obviously a dangerous situation; especially if Beorn went off somewhere and therefore would not be around to protect his guests.
3b. Agree with Valia.

5. I think they were hoping more than expecting that Gandalf would continue on with them. He had been invaluable to them up that point; and in more ways than one.

Loyal2Tirian
There is definitely no "a" in definite.
The Mind earns by doing; the Heart earns by trying.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 6, 2012 9:19 am
Meltintalle
(@mel)
Member Moderator

1. I lean toward the human who can become a bear answer, mostly because there are instances of shapeshifters in the Silmarillion (though not a human one that I can recall).

2. Because Bilbo is the one with a non-dwarvish point of view, and less likely to group-think. I agree with Valia on the 'there's a reason one of the Dwarves is isn't the Burglar'.

3a. Personally, I would rather stay inside when there are a lot of bears hanging out outside... I bet Hobbits and Dwarves have similar sentiments and Beorn is making sure they feel secure. (There's a bit of an echo of Tom Bombadil's instructions to the hobbits to "fear no nightly noises"?)

3b. Beorn called it to talk about the story Gandalf had told him

4. Did he? I just assumed he was referring back to the story of fifteen birds in the fir trees. ;))

5. Because he hadn't given them a specific time and date and they'd made good time through the mountains so obviously he'd still be with them for a long time yet.

One thing I noticed on this read through was that the bees at Beorn's house are ENORMOUS and SCARY. Is that foreshadowing, do you think?

We have hands that fashion and heads that know,
But our hearts we lost - how long ago! -- G. K. Chesterton

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 15, 2012 7:19 am
Movie Aristotle
(@risto)
NarniaWeb Junkie

1. I personally like Beorn. Perhaps because his house was a hospitable one in the midst of the wilds. Perhaps because his house is a safe haven in the midst of the wilds. (Perhaps because I'm drawn to characters that aren't safe, but are good?)

2. Because he isn't a dwarf himself and is less likely to make the mistakes that a dwarf would. Besides, even though Bilbo contracted with Thorin as the burglar, Thorin isn't really the authority figure in the same way that he is to the dwarves. Thorin may be boss to Bilbo, but he is king to the dwarves. Therefore I think that when Thorin starts to pull rank, it is important that there is someone who is not his subject around to question and council him.

3. Bears aren't safe. I wouldn't want my guests to step out my front door to meet a group of bears while I'm away.

4. Someone might have told him when he arrived, but basically I agree with Mel. I think he was just referring to the wargs and goblins that are after them and the bears as mention in question 3. -Although if this is the case, Beorn's use of the word "wicked" to describe the bears would have to be taken as sarcastic or playful. At least, I hope that Beorn doesn't allow wicked bears to dance in his lawn at night. :-s

5. I'm not sure, other than Gandalf doesn't ever seem to be too clear as to when he is coming and going. Perhaps they are surprised that he is leaving so soon. Perhaps they thought he'd have left sooner if his plans were the same. After all, mightn't Gandalf have changed his plans after hearing that the goblins and wargs were out searching for the dwarves? (Evidently he did to some extent, as he rode with them several days to get them safely to Mirkwood. But then again, maybe he always intended to get them to Mirkwood, but since the plans changed and they are now taking the northern path instead of the old road, Gandalf is heading out of his way, and that is what has made him late.) In any event, we all know that everyone wished to see him continue with them on their journey, but that his business drew him away.

Movie Aristotle, AKA Risto

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 24, 2012 6:10 pm
Pattertwigs Pal
(@twigs)
Member Moderator

1. What do you think of Beorn? Do you think he is a human who can change into a bear or a bear that can change into a human? In other words, which set of characteristics (human or bear) are more dominant?
Generally, he seems to be a good person. His exterior is a bit rough but someone who cares for animals as he does must have a good heart. They seem to serve him out of love rather than fear or obligation. That being said he does seem to have a temper. I wonder if he doesn't have a mixed ancestry - descended from both man and bear. I think he is more human than bear. If he were more bear, his dwelling would be more bear like. As a human he still resembles a bear with his dark thick hair, strength, and temper.
2. Why did Gandalf tell Bilbo he was supposed to be taking care of the Dwarves for him?Gandalf foresees that Bilbo will have a part to play so he might be giving him a push. He might have been joking because right when he said it he laughed. He has told the dwarves to look after Blibo before so maybe the company will be better looked after if they are worrying about each other instead of themselves. Bilbo has shown that he can get out of a mess by himself. the dwarves have yet to do that.
3. Why do you think it was so important for the dwarves and Bilbo to stay inside at night? Why do you think the bears had a dancing night?
Valia, I also thought of PC but I didn't finish the thought to think about the council too. Beorn probably didn't stay the whole time the bears were there, since he went to check on the dwarves story. He mentioned that the travelers were well guarded. The bears might not know the difference between people coming and people leaving. It seems the bears danced both nights the travelers were there. Either it was normal for them or Beorn wanted them there both nights.
4. How did Beorn know what Bilbo had said about the Wargs and goblins after Gandalf had returned? I guess one of his animals told him. The horses at least seem to understand the common speech, since Beorn used it with them when Gandalf and Bilbo arrived. It was after dark when Bilbo made the comment so it is possible the bears were outside but I'm not sure Bilbo was loud enough for them to hear him.
5. Why do you think the dwarves seemed to expect Gandalf to come with them, even after he had told them so many times when he would be leaving? He hadn't left so far. Tolkien writes, "They had begun to think Gandalf was going to come all the way and would always be there to help them out of difficulties." They are motivated by greed and thus expect that Gandalf can be persuaded to stay by offering him money. They also have an elevated sense of their own importance and the importance of their quest.

NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 26, 2012 1:45 pm
Ithilwen
(@ithilwen)
NarniaWeb Zealot

Perhaps neither are dominant, but equal.

2. Why did Gandalf tell Bilbo he was supposed to be taking care of the Dwarves for him?

I think that was half-meant to be a joke. Similar to how a mother will leave her child at home with the father and say, "Now you look after your father for me. ;) " Although, I'm sure Gandalf knows that, deep down, Bilbo is a lot more moral and responsible than the Dwarves.

3. Why do you think it was so important for the dwarves and Bilbo to stay inside at night?

I would assume it's to protect them from the animals outside, and probably Beorn himself.

5. Why do you think the dwarves seemed to expect Gandalf to come with them, even after he had told them so many times when he would be leaving?

It was probably wishful thinking for the most part. Also, perhaps they assumed that, since they had been confronted with so much danger, that Gandalf would see they needed him and change his mind.

~Riella =:)

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 30, 2013 7:53 pm
Varnafinde
(@varna)
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum Moderator

I think he is a human who can change into a bear. It is said later (in the Appendices in LotR) that his descendants have the same ability. And he has built a house for himself, not a den or even a cave - an indication that he is part of the human society.

(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 11, 2013 12:48 pm
waggawerewolf27
(@waggawerewolf27)
Member Hospitality Committee

I think that it depends on who Beorn is with whether which set of characteristics of human or bear predominate. He eschews hunting to avoid any conflict between his two identities, and uses both identities for the betterment of not only the bears but also his household. He is clearly able to communicate not only with the bears but also with horses, sheep and dogs.

Because Bilbo doesn't even want to go on the dwarves' quest, is not influenced by mere monetary gain, and isn't so likely to arrogantly get on the wrong side of other people, something the dwarves are noted for.

I'd say if they refused to stay inside at night as they had been asked to do, they would have been in deadly danger, not only from the wargs and goblins. Of course the bears had a corroboree (dancing night) to discuss the presence of wargs and goblins, to pass on new information, and to corroborate what Gandalf and friends had told him.

4. How did Beorn know what Bilbo had said about the Wargs and goblins after Gandalf had returned?

Discussed a lot with Gandalf? Or were the animals tending to them able to say something as well?

I think that no matter how the dwarves saw themselves as adventurous, brave and the rest, they wouldn't have gone on any excursion at all if it weren't for Gandalf, and after he had helped them out so many times already, they had become rather dependent on his wizardry. Maybe, also, they were terrified of being on their own.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 2, 2013 8:35 pm
Share: