Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Chapter 10 A Warm Welcome

Pattertwigs Pal
(@twigs)
Member Moderator

1. Why do you think the Men of the Lake-town lived out over the water?

2. Thorin clearly announces who he is to the people of Lake-town. Do you think he had a strategy in this or do you think he said it because it w as true?

3. What are your thoughts on the Master's character? He shows himself to be a doubter and selfish. Why do you think he is that way, and what impact does it have on the dwarves and Bilbo?

4. What do you think would have happened if Thorin had met with the Master of the Town privately?

NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : November 24, 2012 2:41 am
Meltintalle
(@mel)
Member Moderator

1. Because it's cool? Because... because they had a giant fire at one time and thought that it'd be safer to have lots of water close at hand?
2. I really can't decide if Thorin was being smart or not in announcing himself. On one hand, they did need help, and getting thrown into the Lake-town jail wouldn't have been the smartest course of action... and I suppose one ought to make an effort to be on good terms with your neighbors...
3. At the moment, I don't think it has any affect on our heroes fortunes since the rest of the town forces the Master to be hospitable.
4. I suspect he'd have been kicked out, tossed in jail, or turned over to the elves.

We have hands that fashion and heads that know,
But our hearts we lost - how long ago! -- G. K. Chesterton

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 3, 2012 1:50 pm
GlimGlum
(@glimglum)
Member Moderator

1. They would be safer from land attack and perhaps it was a little easier to carry out their trading operations on the water with other Men from the South, Dwarves, and Elves.

2. Both. It was true and his strategy could be that he knew in advance that dwarves might be welcomed there as some of the townspeople still sang songs of the dwarf-kings of the Mountain.

3a. The Master strikes me as a slimy, calculating, and greedy political type. It is mentioned that he gave his mind to "trade and tolls, to cargoes and gold".
3b. That being his nature, Bilbo and company left just in time because lake-town's Master was starting to become impatient with the halt of business because of them.

4. He may have been turned over to the Wood-elves for a reward or perhaps have made a deal to help them if he thought he could get something out of their quest.

Loyal2Tirian
There is definitely no "a" in definite.
The Mind earns by doing; the Heart earns by trying.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 10, 2012 7:43 am
Pattertwigs Pal
(@twigs)
Member Moderator

1. Why do you think the Men of the Lake-town lived out over the water? I always thought it was to offer protection against the fire to the dragon. They would be safe from any fire that would spread over the land.

2. Thorin clearly announces who he is to the people of Lake-town. Do you think he had a strategy in this or do you think he said it because it was true? With Thorin it is hard to tell. He can keep quiet when necessary, but he also has a lot of pride. I could see him saying it simply because it was true. I can also see him using it as a method of getting help.

3. What are your thoughts on the Master's character? He shows himself to be a doubter and selfish. Why do you think he is that way, and what impact does it have on the dwarves and Bilbo? I'll have to come back to this one.

4. What do you think would have happened if Thorin had met with the Master of the Town privately? He wouldn't have gotten any help. The Master of the Town was clearly not happy to be helping them. He might have locked them up or simply sent them on their way. Whatever he did he would have to keep their presence and identity a secret so the citizens didn't get excited

NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 1, 2013 6:25 am
ValiantArcher
(@valiantarcher)
BC Head and G&B Mod Moderator

1. Like most of you, I think it was because they were driven from Dale by a dragon - if you have a strong chance of fire, it's smart to live by or on a good source of water.

2. I think it could be some of both; as shown, the townspeople were very friendly to him and the Dwarves (and Bilbo) because he was King Under the Mountain.

3. The Master is selfish and doubting because he just is that way? ;)) The Master is a coward as well. Like Mel said, he doesn't really have an effect on the party right now since the town is so excited and hospitable.

4. It wouldn't have gone well at all. :P The Master probably would've given very little, if anything at all, to the Dwarves, and Thorin probably would've just gotten mad. ;))

Death is swallowed up in victory.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 2, 2013 2:19 pm
Movie Aristotle
(@risto)
NarniaWeb Junkie

1. Perhaps someone just thought it was a clever place to live. Evidently the town used to be larger, but I'm guessing Smaug destroyed some of the old town, perhaps on his way to Dale, perhaps after.

2. I think he said it because it was true, but perhaps emphasized it for strategic purposes, somewhat like when Caspian landed in Narrowhaven to meet Gumpas, although Thorin's life was not in danger from anyone in Lake-town.

3. Not much is said of the Master of Lake-town, so I don't know how he got to be as he is. However, how the Master felt about these dwarves is not as important as how the rest of the town felt about them.

4. Nothing. The dwarves would be turned out, and that would be the end of it.

Movie Aristotle, AKA Risto

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 6, 2013 3:32 pm
Ithilwen
(@ithilwen)
NarniaWeb Zealot

1. Why do you think the Men of the Lake-town lived out over the water?

Tradition, perhaps. Plus, it would make for an interesting home. Maybe they were like the people in our world who want to live in Venice. ;))

2. Thorin clearly announces who he is to the people of Lake-town. Do you think he had a strategy in this or do you think he said it because it w as true?

I think he announced it because it was something he was proud of, and because he was like a King coming back to his subjects. The morale boost that would come from all the cheers didn't hurt either. ;)

3. What are your thoughts on the Master's character? He shows himself to be a doubter and selfish. Why do you think he is that way?

He is probably selfish because power corrupts.

4. What do you think would have happened if Thorin had met with the Master of the Town privately?

He wouldn't have been taken seriously, and probably would have been cast out of Lake-town.

~Riella =:)

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 30, 2013 8:17 pm
Varnafinde
(@varna)
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum Moderator

2. Thorin clearly announces who he is to the people of Lake-town. Do you think he had a strategy in this or do you think he said it because it was true?

I think there was strategy in it - they might be more likely to help him if he was an important person, someone they would have dealings with after he was established in his kingdom of old.

Also, it was the truth - and I don't think his pride would have allowed him to choose a strategy of pretending to be a poor beggar asking for charity.

(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 11, 2013 1:13 pm
Share: