Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Watercolor illustrations

Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

I really like these watercolor illustrations.  In fact four of them depicting Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy are on a travel mug that I own.  🙂

https://www.behance.net/gallery/1754012/Narnia

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 1, 2023 2:31 am
Jasmine, The Rose-Tree Dryad, Glenwit and 1 people liked
Glenwit
(@glenwit)
NarniaWeb Nut

and they made Lucy blonde Thumbs up   (is that grammatically correct?)

This is the journey
This is the trial
For the hero inside us all
I can hear adventure call
Here we go

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 1, 2023 9:57 am
Narnian78 liked
The Rose-Tree Dryad
(@rose)
Secret Garden Agent Moderator

I love Natasha Tabatchikova's artwork! My favorites are the one with Aslan and Jadis talking about Edmund and the one at Aslan's Camp. The one of Cair Paravel is also so pretty and unique, although I'm not sure it's a very defensible castle. Giggle

Thanks for finding this portfolio! It has several pieces I'd never seen before.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 1, 2023 10:33 am
Narnian78 liked
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

@rose 

You’re very welcome. I was looking on Pinterest and I recognized the pictures from my travel mug. I like them about as much as Pauline Baynes’.  Thanks for giving us the artist’s name in the English alphabet.  I don’t know much about her, but I like her paintings of Narnia very much. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 1, 2023 11:24 am
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

@narnian78 interesting.

Is this actually published? 

I don't like illustrations modernising the children or making them or other characters cute, but there's one I do like - Lucy in her huge coat!

And yes, blonde Lucy is how Lewis described her.

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 1, 2023 12:19 pm
Narnian78 liked
The Rose-Tree Dryad
(@rose)
Secret Garden Agent Moderator

@Coracle, I'm thinking this is illustration concept art — it's not uncommon for illustrators and concept artists to pick a favorite book and create a sample portfolio to show potential clients.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 1, 2023 1:35 pm
coracle liked
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

@coracle 

I don’t know where you can actually buy Natasha’s artwork other than on the mugs. I think it probably deserves to be published in books or something like that. But I am no expert in art.  I only know what I like, and the paintings are among the best Narnia pictures I have ever seen. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 1, 2023 1:37 pm
Impending Doom
(@impending-doom)
Adventurous Stranger Knight of NarniaWeb

These are simply 😍 

Some of these are a little too cutesy for my tastes (Mr. & Mrs. Beaver, specifically) but her style is beautiful. 

"Tollers, there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves." - C.S. Lewis

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 7, 2023 6:43 am
Narnian78 liked
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

@impending-doom 

At first I thought the illustrations were almost too cute, but I liked them anyway.  I think that the pictures of  Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy as adult kings and queens were closer to the books.  Probably a female artist would show children as being more cute. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 7, 2023 7:10 am
Sir Cabbage
(@sir-cabbage)
NarniaWeb Regular

There are some really lovely pictures here! Some styles work more effectively than others – (not a fan of the animals in waistcoats and whatnot here) – but all very well put together. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 9, 2023 10:58 am
Narnian78 liked
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

@sir-cabbage 

In fact I think Lewis was more realistic about his talking animals than Graham was in The Wind in the Willows.  Lewis made them act and look like real animals, which is the way they should appear in the illustrations.  Pauline Baynes portrayed them like that, and she probably was the best artist to illustrate Narnia.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 11, 2023 3:28 am
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

I’m not sure if the people here would like these, but I think they are rather charming:

https://www.deborahmaze.com/portfolio/the-chronicles-of-narnia

They are by Deborah Maze, and are very colorful and close to the spirit of the books. I am not sure if they are watercolors. And of course they are child friendly.  I really like them, and they appeal very much to my taste.  🙂

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 17, 2023 2:34 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

Nice artwork. I never understood why Lucy could never be blond in illustrations. I don't have as much as problem with it in live action movies or series. But in illustrations, they could never get her hair color right.

I will say though that Peter and Edmund almost look a bit like the elves in Lord of the Rings. But overall, the artwork is nice.

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 17, 2023 6:14 pm
Narnian78 liked
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

@jasmine_tarkheena 

I loved the old fashioned quality of the artwork. It is like the pictures in classic children’s books many years ago. In fact it is almost as appealing to me as Pauline Baynes’ illustrations. But of course, I am very old fashioned in my taste and will usually like something that looks vintage. 🙂

Lucy’s red hair color doesn’t make that much difference to me. I think the children look much like they do in the book, and the places in Narnia and our world are pretty accurate to those in the original stories. The colors that the artist used are bright, and the backgrounds are beautiful. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 17, 2023 7:01 pm
Share: