Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Shasta and Aslan

Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

I've actually found this artwork of Shasta and Aslan.

Narnia Art ~ *

(This is a edit post, since not everyone was satisfied with the last one I've posted).

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 18, 2023 2:26 pm
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee

That's a lovely picture from an artistic point of view, but unfortunately I don't think it captures the awe and grandeur of that moment as it's described in the book:

He turned and saw, pacing beside him, taller than the horse, a Lion.... It was from the Lion that the light came. No one ever saw anything more terrible or beautiful.

Not only is the lion in that illustration much shorter than the horse, but there's only a vague glow around his head, not a "fiery brightness" as it's described several sentences later, and the expression on his face looks bland and gentle, almost smiling. Far from being "the King above all High Kings", he looks just like a tame lion!! Eyebrow  

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 19, 2023 4:59 am
johobbit liked
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

I like the picture, although Aslan could have been made more majestic than an ordinary lion. However, the picture is in good taste and very appealing.  Artwork depicting Narnia can be found on mugs and other gift items. Some of it is good, but it can be used just to sell a product.  While I like to see other people’s interpretations of the books I dislike to see Narnia commercialized.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 21, 2023 5:18 am
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

On that note, why not just enjoy the artworks as they are? I mean, Pauline Baynes illustrations are not always 100% accurate, but I still appreciate the work and effort she put into them.

Even if the artworks don't live up to your expectations, perhaps at least appreciate the work they put into it.

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 21, 2023 8:08 am
littlgriz
(@tina-cat-moma)
NarniaWeb Regular

@jasmine_tarkheena wow cool

in aslans paws have a good day

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 31, 2023 8:33 am