Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

HHB - Desert Crossing

Meltintalle
(@mel)
Member Moderator

For those who are unfamiliar with the concept of Inktober, it's an informal internet challenge where you create an ink drawing every day in the month of October. There's a prompt list, which you can follow or not; and even daily participation is up to you. As it happens, the prompt for October 13 is "Dune" and it eventually occurred to me that Shasta, Aravis, and the horses crossing the desert on their way to Anvard would make a good image.

We have hands that fashion and heads that know,
But our hearts we lost - how long ago! -- G. K. Chesterton

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : October 13, 2020 8:57 pm
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee

Love it, Meltintalle! Smile  

On again, trot and walk and trot, jingle-jingle-jingle, squeak-squeak-squeak, smell of hot horse, smell of hot self, blinding glare, headache. And nothing at all different for mile after mile. Tashbaan would never look any further away. The mountains would never look any nearer. You felt this had been going on for always — jingle-jingle-jingle, squeak-squeak-squeak, smell of hot horse, smell of hot self.

(p. 141 in my 1998 edition)

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 14, 2020 9:35 am
Meltintalle
(@mel)
Member Moderator

@courtenay, that is the exact passage I was thinking of while drawing. Smile  

We have hands that fashion and heads that know,
But our hearts we lost - how long ago! -- G. K. Chesterton

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : October 14, 2020 5:45 pm
Courtenay liked
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

That's beautiful!

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 21, 2020 1:26 pm
Sir Cabbage
(@sir-cabbage)
NarniaWeb Regular

What a lovely illustration! The placement of everything and the linework is great. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 8, 2021 10:43 am
Silverlily
(@silverlily)
NarniaWeb Junkie

I like the rippled shading on the sand, and the horses look very believably weary.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 20, 2023 2:28 pm
Share: