Share:
Notifications
Clear all

The Silver Chair- BBC Mini-Series

Page 3 / 3
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

The BBC also did a fairly good job with Harfang and the giants’ castle.  I especially liked the scene of Jill, Eustace, and Puddleglum finding the trench in the “E” of “Under Me”.  In fact, this is one of the parts of the book I remember from when I was a child. Our teacher read us the book in the fifth grade, which was decades ago, but I never forgot it. The BBC made the scene so well that it was almost exactly the way I pictured it, and Tom Baker was perfect as Puddleglum.  You could always say the adaptation may have been better, but it still was remarkable.  🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 6, 2022 4:24 am
Courtenay liked
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

@narnian78 for Harfang they used an excellent historic building that I got to visit about 10 years later. 

It has a second Narnia connection, as it was used for the main location for a 2006 TV serial of Jane Eyre; Georgie Henley had played young Jane, but not at this location. (oops, thought it was a photo, but the video is nice!)

It's Haddon Hall, Derbyshire,UK.

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 6, 2022 4:05 pm
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

@coracle 

What a beautiful location!  I recognized parts of the house which were shown on the BBC series. Thanks for sharing the video!

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 6, 2022 9:32 pm
Glenwit
(@glenwit)
NarniaWeb Nut
Posted by: @jasmine_tarkheena
Anyhow, the BBC-Mini series has a lot of walking and talking. Though there were things they had to cut out. They cut out Bism and even the snow dance. Those are hard things to do in movies.

Eh...it would have been hard to do 30 years ago.  Given the leaps and bounds in which technology and cinematography have advanced since then, I'm confident Netflix could pull it off now Grin  

This is the journey
This is the trial
For the hero inside us all
I can hear adventure call
Here we go

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 16, 2022 2:18 pm
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

@glenwit 

I guess they felt that the Snow Dance wasn’t so necessary for a television adaptation of the story.  I remember when I watched it the first time that the dance and the winter weather weren’t there.  I was a little disappointed since I remember that part of the book as a child when our elementary school teacher read the story to us. Leaving it out doesn’t change the plot of the story very much, but I missed that part of the book. Otherwise, the BBC did a pretty decent job with their adaptation of The Silver Chair, considering the small budget that was available.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 1, 2022 4:46 am
Courtenay liked
Glenwit
(@glenwit)
NarniaWeb Nut
Posted by: @narnian78

I guess they felt that the Snow Dance wasn’t so necessary for a television adaptation of the story...Leaving it out doesn’t change the plot of the story very much, but I missed that part of the book. Otherwise, the BBC did a pretty decent job with their adaptation of The Silver Chair, considering the small budget that was available.

I never said otherwise, my friend! 

This is the journey
This is the trial
For the hero inside us all
I can hear adventure call
Here we go

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 1, 2022 9:12 am
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

As I'm sure most of you know, the Talking Beasts Podcast has started a discussion of BBC'S The Silver Chair, episode by episode. 

ttps://www.narniaweb.com/2023/03/tu-whoo-or-not-tu-whoo-talking-beasts/

Hope you all enjoyed it!

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 17, 2023 11:33 am
Page 3 / 3
Share: