Notifications
Clear all

The BBC Version "extended edition"

Page 2 / 2
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru
Posted by: @glenwit

Yep, that would do it alright. Even my boxed set of Narnia books insinuates that they're the same person (it has a series-wide character overview at the beginning). 

I just hope Netflix doesn't make them the same person. It seemed Walden was going in that direction (Voyage of the Dawn Treader seemed to setting the White Witch up to become Lady of the Green Kirtle). It would almost be like making Prince Rabadash and Rishda Tarkaan the same person, which they are not.

I guess because BBC had a limited casting. Maugrim in The Lion, The, The Witch, And The Wardrobe and the ware-wolf in Prince Caspian were both played by Martin Stone; Reepicheep in Prince Caspian and Voyage of the Dawn Treader and Glimfeather in The Silver Chair were both played by Warick Davis, who actually went on to play Nikkibrik in Walden's Prince Caspian.

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 20, 2021 8:59 am
Glenwit
(@glenwit)
NarniaWeb Nut

Same here. And I guess I managed to dodge a bullet when I watched the BBC adaptations as a kid, because I remember all the scenes missing or shortened being present, that were mentioned here. 

I wonder if it depends on where the VHS/DVD is produced.  I was also thrown of by the storm scene in VDT being looped. 

This is the journey
This is the trial
For the hero inside us all
I can hear adventure call
Here we go

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 20, 2021 9:04 am
Jasmine liked
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

@glenwit oh that's the edition where the unwise editor decided that BBC casting and its implications were canon. Why he never checked it with the Estate we will never know!

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 20, 2021 12:36 pm
Glenwit
(@glenwit)
NarniaWeb Nut

HarperTrophy, that's the one! Such a shame.  I think BBC ended up setting a lot of modern Narnia takes, like that (other examples I can think of include the White Witch yelling "NO!!" when Edmund asked for more Turkish delight, and stabbing Edmund when he broke her wand). 

This is the journey
This is the trial
For the hero inside us all
I can hear adventure call
Here we go

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 20, 2021 1:23 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

@glenwit I think they did that in all of the adaptations, though. However, in the book, she says it with a laugh. I think BBC Radio 4 and Focus on the Family Radio Theatre stayed true to it.

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 20, 2021 2:24 pm
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

The edition with the three BBC movies as movies seemed like it was a little shorter than than those with the 25 minute episodes.  But I thought that it was because the cliffhangers were cut out, which for American television were not necessary. In fact I think it is better for the story adaptations to be complete in one program for each of the stories since they are not so episodic.  If you saw the series broadcast on American TV during the 1980’s they were shown as Wonderworks movies on PBS stations. I’m not sure how many people here remember that since it was so long ago. The Wonderworks series also had other children’s series such as Anne of Green Gables and A Little Princess, which we enjoyed viewing as adults. We were happy that the PBS stations offered these shows as an alternative to the lesser quality programs shown on the commercial networks. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 22, 2021 1:04 am
NiceMice2023
(@nicemice2023)
NarniaWeb Regular

I remember Wikipedia’s article about the BBC editions mentioned the Caspian section of PC being told as a flashback and I assumed that’s what it was in the original (I had only seen a VHS version at the time), but I watched the TV version on YouTube and it wasn’t. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 11, 2023 10:49 am
Col Klink
(@col-klink)
NarniaWeb Junkie
Posted by: @nicemice2023

I remember Wikipedia’s article about the BBC editions mentioned the Caspian section of PC being told as a flashback and I assumed that’s what it was in the original (I had only seen a VHS version at the time), but I watched the TV version on YouTube and it wasn’t. 

I'm guessing that was just a mistake on the part of whoever wrote that Wikipedia article. I've never heard of a cut that presents Caspian's story as a flashback. 

For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen check out my new blog!

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 11, 2023 2:11 pm
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

@col-klink Wikipedia used to be free for anyone to write on, so it wasn't absolutely trustworthy as some of it was opinion or guesswork.  Perhaps that information was like that?

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 11, 2023 2:19 pm
NiceMice2023
(@nicemice2023)
NarniaWeb Regular
Posted by: @coracle

@col-klink Wikipedia used to be free for anyone to write on, so it wasn't absolutely trustworthy as some of it was opinion or guesswork.  Perhaps that information was like that?

Haha, I’m guessing so

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 11, 2023 5:25 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share: