Share:
Notifications
Clear all

The BBC Version "extended edition"

Page 1 / 2
Skilletdude
(@skilletdude)
Member Moderator Emeritus

Chalk it up to having more time during the pandemic, I watched BBC's LWW and noted all the scenes and differences that were not on my childhood VHS copy. When I got my DVD copies in the early 2000's, I was quite surprised and excited to see these new additions, almost like an extended edition. It comes out to just over three minutes of extra footage:

-The first scene in Mr. Tumnus' cave, he says to make herself at home, then Lucy reads out loud the book titles she sees on his shelf, "Nymphs and Their Ways", and "Is Man a Myth?"

-When Edmund first sees the Witch pull up next to him on the sleigh, there is silence. On the VHS, there is music and a dramatic chime when she appears.

-A brief line in the tent where the White Witch tells Edmund, "and as much as you are the cleverest and handsomest man I have ever met, I wish to make you the prince."

-During the scene with Peter and Susan asking advice from the Professor about Lucy's story, Peter comments, "How can it be true, sir? If things are real, they are there all the time." "Are they?", challenges the Professor, along with further comments about Lucy's character and his mysterious house.

-When the four Pevensies are discussing how to help Mr. Tumnus after finding Maugrim's note, there's more talk about not having food, going back into the wardrobe to get some from the house, but Peter feels uncertain they can get back in to Narnia if they do.

-More shots of the children enjoying dinner at the Beaver's. Peter comments, "I couldn't eat another thing." Mrs. Beaver brings out the marmalade roll and everyone looks longingly at it. "Now will you eat another thing?", she jokes.

-After the coronation, a scene of the Pevensies playing on the beach in their crowns with Aslan watching in the distance. The Beavers dust sand off the children's robes, and Lucy asks where Aslan went. "He'll be coming and going..." Mr. Beaver says. He'll drop in again, he continues. "He's not a tame lion, he's wild and always will be, and he has other countries to attend to."

I think these differences can be explained by the episodic structure of the series originally. When they were edited together into a feature length film, maybe some scenes were cut out intentionally to save room on the VHS?

Have you noticed any other differences in your copies? Are there edits to PC, VDT, and SC as well?

Mary Jane: You know, you're taller than you look.
Peter: I hunch.
Mary Jane: Don't.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : February 6, 2021 11:47 pm
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee

As a watcher of the BBC versions from the time they were first on TV, I can confirm ALL those lines / scenes were in LWW as originally shown. In fact, we bought the VHS of LWW (the others we taped directly off the telly as they were broadcast) and all those things were definitely in the commercial video version as well. I watched it over and over as a child and can still see and hear those lines / conversations vividly! Grin  (I'm not quite certain about the music and dramatic chime for the White Witch, but it doesn't ring a bell — pardon the pun — and I don't think that was included in the VHS.)

Possibly there were cuts and changes to the VHS version released in America (assuming you're in the US, @skilletdude?) but not to the one released in Australia (where I grew up)? I don't know.

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 7, 2021 12:49 am
Col Klink
(@col-klink)
NarniaWeb Junkie

I remember the bit about Aslan leaving at the end and Lucy scanning the books were cut from the VHS version I watched growing up too. I wish they'd kept the part about the books because it's a memorable bit from the book. Yet weirdly I think cutting the bit about Aslan was an improvement even though it's a more important part of the book. I guess I just feel the book moment was better done and made more pacing sense.

For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen check out my new blog!

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 7, 2021 8:13 am
daughter of the King
(@dot)
Princess Dot Moderator

The VHS versions I grew up on had all of those scenes. However, perhaps it was a different edition? The VHS we had weren't cut like a movie but had each of the episodes complete with title and end credits. If I remember correctly, we initially would check out LWW and PC/VDT from Blockbuster but eventually bought all three from a catalogue (probably Christian Book?).

ahsokasig
Narniaweb sister to Pattertwig's Pal

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 7, 2021 2:45 pm
Pattertwigs Pal
(@twigs)
Member Moderator

We taped them off of the TV in the U.S.A. when they first came out. When I got the DVDs, I noticed in particular the beach scene difference. I also noticed the marmalade roll.I'm pretty sure I noticed some other differences as well. I actually watched them together and made notes. I wonder where I put my notes.  There was also something different in who reads Maugrim's note. I think there are other differences in other versions. The VDT DVD has the part of the storm scene played twice. I am sure there are two different versions of the scene in SC where they are trying to explain about Overworld, but I can't find my VHS copy of SC to make sure. Sad  

NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 7, 2021 3:58 pm
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

My VHS was a copy of what was recorded off TV in UK when LWW first screened. The items above are 'normal' in my memory, and I doubt I have seen a USA version.

The DVD set, and the tired old VHS are still in my possession. 
I need to use another video before I put this one in the machine - after a few years of non-use, nothing can be trusted.

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 7, 2021 7:04 pm
Skilletdude
(@skilletdude)
Member Moderator Emeritus
Posted by: @pattertwigs-pal

The VDT DVD has the part of the storm scene played twice. I am sure there are two different versions of the scene in SC where they are trying to explain about Overworld, but I can't find my VHS copy of SC to make sure. Sad  

I am glad you brought both of those up. The storm scene playing twice drives me nuts; it plays once without music and then another time with it. Pretty clumsy mistake from whoever edited the DVD.

And maybe someone else can confirm this for me if they still have the VHS, but in SC, I could have sworn there was more dialogue between Rilian and the Lady of the Green Kirtle. Rilian grasps the metal spherical lamp and exclaims, "Of course we've all seen the sun." On my DVD copy, the next line is the Lady saying, "Sun? The sun is but a children's story. There is no sun."

But didn't Rilian compare the lamp to the sun? "...only far greater and brighter. It giveth light to all Overworld and hangeth in the sky." Or was this just in the book?

Mary Jane: You know, you're taller than you look.
Peter: I hunch.
Mary Jane: Don't.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : February 7, 2021 7:57 pm
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

I no longer own the VHS edition, but I have two different editions of the DVD’s.  In some ways the edition which combines the episodes into longer movies is better for continuity since there are no interruptions for cliffhangers. But I guess it was originally broadcast on British television in separate half hour episodes. The American version showed the programs as video movies.  And there was a little additional material on the DVD’s. I wish that the BBC would release the series on blu-ray in a new edition similar to the classic Dr. Who season sets.  I noticed that the new format was quite an improvement. It is better technology. The video quality might not be much of an upgrade, but any improvement to the make the series look better would be welcome. I have often wondered if a clearer copies of the video existed. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 8, 2021 1:15 am
Pattertwigs Pal
(@twigs)
Member Moderator
Posted by: @skilletdude

But didn't Rilian compare the lamp to the sun? "...only far greater and brighter. It giveth light to all Overworld and hangeth in the sky." Or was this just in the book?

Yes! Yes! I remember that too. So either we both dreamed it or it was in there. I would love to get my hands on that version.

NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 14, 2021 6:10 pm
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

@pattertwigs-pal

I think Tom Baker was the best Puddleglum ever. Even if another Narnia series would be made it would be very difficult to find another actor who was as good as he was in the role.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 19, 2021 2:44 am
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee
Posted by: @skilletdude

And maybe someone else can confirm this for me if they still have the VHS, but in SC, I could have sworn there was more dialogue between Rilian and the Lady of the Green Kirtle. Rilian grasps the metal spherical lamp and exclaims, "Of course we've all seen the sun." On my DVD copy, the next line is the Lady saying, "Sun? The sun is but a children's story. There is no sun."

I'm pretty sure that line WAS in the programme as originally broadcast, but I haven't seen it for years and may be confusing it with the book too.

Posted by: @narnian78

I think Tom Baker was the best Puddleglum ever. Even if another Narnia series would be made it would be very difficult to find another actor who was as good as he was in the role.

Agreed!!! He had just the right deadpan, relentlessly morose, yet somehow lovable attitude. To this day, whenever I'm reading the book, I pretty much picture Puddleglum as the Tom Baker version.

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 19, 2021 3:24 am
Narnian78 liked
jewel
(@jewel)
NarniaWeb Nut

I never knew that was an extended version. The DVD versions are the only ones that I remember seeing. I like the BBC Narnia films very much. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 10, 2021 1:01 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

I never realized that there was an extend version of Narnia BBC-Mini Series on The Lion, The Witch, And The Wardrobe. I wonder if that's true of the other ones, Prince Caspian and Voyage of the Dawn Treader (for some reason, they've combined them) and The Silver Chair. I wonder what would've been like if BBC continued with the mini-series and did The Horse and His Boy, The Magician's Nephew, and The Last Battle.

And the White Witch and the Lady of the Green Kirtle were both played by Barbara Kellerman (she almost looks to me like Angelica Huston). I think that's where people kind of got the misconception that the White Witch and the Lady of the Green Kirtle are the same person. I don't think they were trying to say they are; I think they did it for budgetary reason.

So I have never thought about this. I own all of the BBC-Mini Series on DVD, which I haven't watched in awhile.

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 19, 2021 3:41 pm
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

I've got the whole set on DVD, after previously only having VHS from copied from TV. 
It will be 'complete' so I believe that the versions shown as a movie may have been edited.
The originals are therefore not extended editions; the versions issued as movies are shortened editions.

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 19, 2021 8:33 pm
Glenwit
(@glenwit)
NarniaWeb Nut
Posted by: @jasminetarkheena

And the White Witch and the Lady of the Green Kirtle were both played by Barbara Kellerman (she almost looks to me like Angelica Huston). I think that's where people kind of got the misconception that the White Witch and the Lady of the Green Kirtle are the same person. I don't think they were trying to say they are; I think they did it for budgetary reason.

Yep, that would do it alright. Even my boxed set of Narnia books insinuates that they're the same person (it has a series-wide character overview at the beginning). 

This is the journey
This is the trial
For the hero inside us all
I can hear adventure call
Here we go

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 20, 2021 8:53 am
Page 1 / 2
Share: