Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Symbolism of Colors in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

Col Klink
(@col-klink)
NarniaWeb Junkie

I rewatched The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (2005) recently for blogging purposes. I've always appreciated the movie's use of color, but I noticed something I hadn't before. I feel a little weird giving the movie credit for this since the book gift wrapped it for the filmmakers. (What I'm about to describe is true of the 1988 miniseries and will probably be true of any new adaptation Netflix might make.) But it's such a visual thing that I don't think about it when reading as I do when watching and I think it makes more sense for General Movie Discussion than Talk About Narnia.

Obviously, while the White Witch's spell is over Narnia, the landscape is white and when it's broken, it becomes green. The sky is also very gray during the winter part of the movie and blue during the spring part. But what's less obvious is that during winter, the good guy characters really stand out against the white world around them. The Witch, on the other hand, blends in perfectly. So do her reindeer and her wolves. Once spring arrives, the Pevensies, the beavers and the fox look much more like they're part of the landscape and the Witch is the one who stands out like a sore thumb against all the green. It really symbolizes how the power dynamics have shifted.

For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen check out my new blog!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 19, 2024 7:37 am
Courtenay liked
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

I don't believe I've noticed that. Maybe it's intended to represent light and dark- winter known to have shorter and darker days and spring longer and lighter days.

It is an interesting thought, and who knows how a new adaptation will be able to pull something like that off.

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 21, 2024 6:10 pm
Share: