Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Matthew Aldrich to oversee Netflix's Narnia adaptations

Page 2 / 2
fantasia
(@fantasia)
Member Admin

:)) Yeah, I don't understand why they couldn't just say showrunner.

I don't remember where I said this, but I mentioned that it could be because it's not quite the same thing? They keep saying film and series, so perhaps because they're planning to do something potentially unique, they've come up with a unique position? I don't know, I'm just speculating.
Whatever the case may be though, giving an oddball term cost them the hype that surrounds a big announcement. When Joe Johnston was announced for director for Silver Chair, and again when Netflix picked up the series, we had a small boost of new members and returning members ready to talk about the news. Not so with this story, and it's a pretty big deal.

To fantasia, narnia fan 7, and anyone else who has not seen Coco. If you can't find it, there's a pretty good review of Coco that is pretty honest (both positive and negative) on Youtube called "Coco Review: Go See It!" by CellSpex.

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind. Though I still subscribe to receiving DVD movies from Netflix as well so I can get it that way if they don't have the streaming version available.

ETA:

Mostly this announcement just reinforces my concerns about what Netflix is doing. I was staring to hope that maybe when they said they were making “series and films” that it meant they were going to do either just films or just a series, but hadn’t decided which. But I guess they are in fact going to do BOTH, which doesn't make much sense to me.

Yeah, I did the smart thing just now and actually went and READ the announcement. It's rather eye-opening isn't it?

The plan calls for a wide-range of stories from across the Narnia landscape told in a set of movies and at least one series.

My newest theory is that the set of movies will probably be the seven books. The series will be the new made-up bits? I dunno. :-?? Kind of like the Marvel movies and the 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.' TV spin-off.

I also want to add, Mr. Aldrich, if you come on here sometime, congrats on getting the position! :D

Posted : June 15, 2019 3:47 am
Cleander
(@the-mad-poet-himself)
NarniaWeb Guru

[
I also want to add, Mr. Aldrich, if you come on here sometime, congrats on getting the position! :D

A wee bit off-topic, but how high, in your opinion, are the chances of the filmmakers listening to our discussions as an aid to crafting the series? Do you think Aldrich might look at what fans are wanting? (I know that he hasn't had much chance to do that in the past, but...)

And yes, I was wondering why the news hasn't caused much of an explosive stir on Narniaweb. Hopefully we'll get something more decisive- sounding by the end of the summer that will get more folks interested.

PM me to join the Search for the Seven Swords!
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club!
Did I mention I have a YouTube Channel?: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCeuUaOTFts5BQV3c-CPlo_g
Check out my site: https://madpoetscave.weebly.com

signature by aileth

Posted : June 15, 2019 6:01 am
icarus
(@icarus)
NarniaWeb Guru

And yes, I was wondering why the news hasn't caused much of an explosive stir on Narniaweb. Hopefully we'll get something more decisive- sounding by the end of the summer that will get more folks interested.

I think as Narnia fans we have become more than accustomed to our fair share of false dawns over the years, with announcements made about writers, directors, shooting dates and even casting rumours all coming to nothing. So I think its only natural that people are going to need to start seeing tangible outputs before they can get genuinely excited about the prospects of things actually moving forward. I think a logo, or a piece of concept art, or something which is indicative of the creative vision, would be a good place to start.

Secondly, I think as movie fans in general, we've probably all grown accustomed to the grand promises made by various studios, announcing ambitious plans for their own multi-format interconnected cinematic universes to rival Marvel's, only to see them fall flat on their face after just one outing, or never getting off the ground at all.

DC Comics for example, after the first few films in its burgeoning cinematic universe bombed with audiences and critics alike, held a massive tv special where they announced legendary comic book writer Geoff Johns as the "chief creative officer" to oversee their entire universe going forward, and announced a tonne of movies which never came out (including Cyborg, Flash and Green Lantern Corps) and whilst the universe has stumbled on with the odd disconnected film here and there, any sense of having a cohesive crafted universe overseen by a singular visionary producer, pretty much lies in ruins.

Universal Studios similarly made a massive announcement (twice!) about setting up its own interconnected Monsters Universe - firstly with Dracula Untold, and then again with The Mummy - the latter being accompanied by announcements for Johnny Depp as The Invisible Man, Javier Bardem as the Wolfman and Angelina Jolie as the Bride of Frankenstein - again all of this came crashing down along with The Mummy's dismal boxoffice, and the entire thing was never to be heard of again.

Universal also made another ill-fated grand announcement about a massive interconnected adaptation of Stephen King's Dark Tower book series, which was supposed to span multiple movies and television shows.... production troubles ensued and Sony ended up picking up the scraps with just a single solitary, poorly received movie resulting (Amazon have now picked up the rights for a full reboot).

20th Century Fox, not to be outdone, did a big announcement at Comic Con one year where they officially announced the start of their expanded X-Men Universe, which was to include Channing Tatum as Gambit, and an X-Men vs Fantastic Four crossover event movie. To date Channing's only contribution to that film series was an awkward photo shoot at said event, and the less said about where Fantastic Four went the better. Again, one glance at Dark Phoenix's dismal box office returns probably tells you everything you need to know about how well all of their bluster paid off.

I could probably go on-and-on (Warner Bros' six-part King Arthur universe announcement, Paramount's Hasbro Cinematic Universe announcement, the Mattel Toys Cinematic universe, etc. etc. ) but suffice to say, the movie landscape is littered with promises of delivering massive cinematic universes spanning multiple movies and/or TV series, and to date the only one who has pulled this off has been Kevin Feige's Marvel Studios, therefore I think its only reasonably that this announcement be treated with a healthy dose of scepticism for now.

Posted : June 15, 2019 9:07 am
decarus
(@decarus)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Is it possible that they will do new stories in the Narnia universe? As in, completely new characters just in the universe. Is this all we know about the netflix show/movies?

There are no clouds in the sky. There is only the open sun and the Lord watches.

Posted : June 22, 2019 12:02 pm
narnia fan 7
(@narnia-fan-7)
NarniaWeb Guru

Is it possible that they will do new stories in the Narnia universe? As in, completely new characters just in the universe. Is this all we know about the netflix show/movies?

It's possible. Some of the wording in the press release like "stories from across the Narnia Universe" would seem to kinda, sorta, maybe suggest it, but that's just speculation. Netflix hasn't said anything official about what their specific plans are at this point. So we just have to wait and see what happens.

Topic starter Posted : June 22, 2019 12:30 pm
decarus
(@decarus)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Thank you. I would love for them to do anything Narnia, even if its just in the verse, but my initial reaction was thinking that they were going to do original stories. I guess it makes more sense that it will just be adaptions of the books, which sounds great to me. I think the difficulty of not having a character that follows through all the stories, beside Aslan, is the problem. I don't really get what they mean by movies and shows, but they are doing stuff like that in the walking dead universe.

There are no clouds in the sky. There is only the open sun and the Lord watches.

Posted : June 22, 2019 12:36 pm
Rogin
(@rogin)
NarniaWeb Regular

Little late to this.

Did we ever get any sort of quote or video from Matthew Aldrich? Kind of hard to get excited when we don't (really) know anything about him or what he thinks of the series.

But his involvement with Coco and Pixar is encouraging!

Posted : January 13, 2020 5:59 am
The Rose-Tree Dryad
(@rose)
Secret Garden Agent Moderator

Unfortunately we've yet to get a statement about Narnia directly from Aldrich, Rogin. I suspect we'll see an interview or quotes from him once Netflix is ready to announce their initial plans for the Narnia adaptation.

If you haven't read it yet, here's our article compiling everything we know about him so far.

Posted : January 13, 2020 9:33 am
Page 2 / 2
Share: