Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Improvements Netflix Could Do For Voyage of the Dawn Treader

Page 3 / 3
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

Perhaps the most difficult thing to visualize, especially in film-making, would be the Dark Island. Both BBC and Walden kind of struggled with it.

The way that it is described in the book, a total darkness and each character hearing their worse nightmare.

In the Walden, Edmund's nightmare was the White Witch. I think it would be more fitting for Lucy, though. Maybe Edmund's nightmare was how remembering in HHB, when he talked with Rabadash that he grew angry and cold that he couldn't have Susan.

Besides of that, imagine seeing Aslan in form of albatross, hearing his voice, and a speck of light ahead.

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 29, 2023 7:33 pm
Crunchy-P
(@queencrunchytheweeb)
NarniaWeb Regular
Posted by: @jasmine_tarkheena

In the Walden, Edmund's nightmare was the White Witch. I think it would be more fitting for Lucy, though. Maybe Edmund's nightmare was how remembering in HHB, when he talked with Rabadash that he grew angry and cold that he couldn't have Susan.

This could work if they were made chronologically! I'm not sure how to do it should publication order be used. Maybe show a close-up of adult Edmund talking then hear a male voice yell at him with a negative/shocked expression of Ed's face to not fully reveal Rabadash but hint at him instead. (Making newcomers wonder "Who is that?" until HHB comes around)

"Have a Narnian Day!" (ナルニアの日を過ごしましょう!)

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 19, 2023 12:38 am
PrinceRillianIX
(@rilianix)
NarniaWeb Regular

I just had a thought that maybe having the sequences on Dark Island be almost black and white might be quite interesting?

As for what each character's fear would be, I suppose that depends on how their adapted and what aspects of their character are focused on. As @queencrunchytheweeb mentioned, it'd be difficult to reference Rabadash if they were done in publication order, and even if referenced, it would only be something hardcore fans would pick up on. Again it depends on what they focus on if we're talking about Edmund, whether its a person specifically or more emotional fears, like would Edmund fear the idea of becoming a traitor again as opposed to just fearing the White Witch specifically?

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 19, 2023 4:54 am
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

Right. In The Focus On The Family Radio Theatre, Lucy hears the White Witch's voice in the background during the Dark Island scene. In the book, we kind of get an idea of what Eustace is, indicating he asks in the book, "Can you hear a giant pair of scissors opening and shutting?"

Perhaps we don't see the nightmare themselves, but hear noise of them in the background while it's completely dark. That is, until the albatross comes and leads them into the light.

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 19, 2023 8:26 am
Col Klink
(@col-klink)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Am I the only one who doesn't like the idea of the nightmares being things we've seen before in previous movies? It just strikes me as so boring and obvious.

This post was modified 10 months ago by Col Klink

For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen check out my new blog!

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 19, 2023 8:29 am
Courtenay liked
PrinceRillianIX
(@rilianix)
NarniaWeb Regular

I mean it can be boring and obvious depending on execution, but I think it's just an obvious route to take when dealing with a visual medium.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 19, 2023 1:25 pm
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

Could the Dawn Treader ship be made better?  I thought the Walden movie’s ship was beautiful, although it did not actually have a bottom as was shown in videos about the making of the film. It was an improvement over the polystyrene covered boat used in the BBC Narnia, but I wish that the movie ship was a complete vessel, which would add some realism to the film. I don’t usually like it when movies use partial props to represent real buildings, ships, and other things that exist in real life. Even if you don’t see the part that isn’t there it seems that something complete should exist. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 21, 2023 3:42 pm
Courtenay liked
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

I thought the Dawn Treader movie had a very good actor to play Eustace.  Will Poulter was right for the character, and I am not sure if someone better could have been chosen.  I don’t know if another fine actor will be selected for the role in Netflix’s Narnia. He will have to be an effective nuisance and also someone who will make a complete turnaround when Aslan changes him. If the creators of that version of Narnia follow the books they should know what to do with the character. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 28, 2023 8:43 pm
Page 3 / 3
Share: