Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Bad Ideas for HHB, MN, & LB & Fears of what might happened

Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

Since The Horse And His Boy, The Magician's Nephew, and The Last Battle have never adapted to screen before (including BBC and Walden Media; Walden Media didn't do The Silver Chair, though BBC did, so it still counts), I'm sure a lot of us Narnia fans are anticipating that we're finally going to see it happening.

We still don't know a whole lot about them. We could start thinking about we don't want to happen and what we fear what might happened. What I mean is that there are a lot of things we think that are terrible ideas (we do tend to make a joke though, but trying to be sensitive here Smile ), but chances are, filmmakers would think it's a great idea. It's like you wonder what filmmakers are trying to think outside the box.

So here are my list of bad ideas-

1. Changes for the wrong reasons. I know I talk about it a lot. I'll expect to be changes. But if Netflix are going to make changes, they have to make it work within the universe. You could add where Lord Bar kidnaps Prince Cor and puts him in a boat to Calormen, where Arsheesh finds him. You could show Mrs. Lafey giving the box to Uncle Andrew, and have him create the rings. You could even show the seven friends of Narnia gathering together, talking about their times in Narnia. But there are changes for the wrong reasons, then no.

2. The White Witch in every Narnia movie. There had been speculations about the White Witch in every Narnia movie. She was a great villain in The Lion, The Witch, And The Wardrobe (she's undoubtedly one of the best if not the best villains). I kind of saw what they were trying to do with her in Prince Caspian. It's pretty impressive. It was rumored or speculated that she was going to make an appearance in Voyage of the Dawn Treader while it was still in development. However, it came true. There had been speculations that the White Witch and the Lady of the Green Kirtle are the same person (spoilers: they're not. I could list the reasons, but it would be too long). It's like, "Why aren't Prince Rabadash and Rishda Tarkaan the same person? Should I list the reasons?" (I could, but it would be too long). Obviously, the White Witch would be in The Magician's Nephew, because it's about how she got to be in Narnia anyways. But how would you find a way to squeeze her in The Horse and His Boy? And in The Last Battle, would they do her instead of Tash or have her and Tash working together? No! Isn't about time we move on from the White Witch?

3. Epic Climatic Battle- It's hard to say where each of the climax will be. The Battle of Anvard is seen through a pool by the Hermit of the Southern March. I think it would be good to see the battle through it. But making it about saving the world, then no. There doesn't need to be an epic climatic battle in The Magician's Nephew (lest they want to create tension where Jadis tempts Digory to the steal the apple). The Last Battle is a hard one to know where the climax is. The Battle of Stable Hill, Tirian taking Rishda with him into the stable and Tash showing up, Peter banishing Tash, and Tash vanishes, taking Rishda with him, Aslan bringing an end to the world of Narnia. There doesn't need to be an epic climatic battle with Tash in the stable, like with the sea serpent in Voyage of the Dawn Treader.

Now here is what we fear what might happened. While they could be "no's" as well, there's a fear of not knowing what filmmakers are capable of. Not only that, but history does a way to repeat itself.

1. Are the Calormenes going to be portrayed right? Are they going to get the right actors for the roles? The Tarkaans are known to wear a gold ring on their arm. I think there's a fear that they find a way to make it extravagant. Lasaraleen kind of already has an extravagant lifestyle. I guess you could have Rishda wearing the gold ring on his arm because he's a Tarkaan. But does it need to be extravagant? Another, I think the upper class society, if it's extravagant, it could be a distraction.

2. Romance and Villainous Crush- I'm sure we're all dreading a romance. While Shasta and Aravis eventually end up getting married, are they going to put a romance between them? Then Digory and Polly. It would seem they like each other. There's been speculations about Tirian and Jill circling around the internet. While I think the only villainous crush we need is Prince Rabadash and Susan, I fear they'll play it out in other Narnia movies. They could find a way to extend on Rabadash and Susan. They might even show them together at one point. I suppose it could work, since we might be able to see Rabadash as kind and courteous then see him reveal his true nature. The whole theme of The Last Battle is are their loyalties with the real Aslan or Tash or do they only care about "their own profit, such reward the Tisroc will give when Narnia becomes a Calormene province" like Ginger says in the book. Jill would have to decide between to stay with Tirian and Eustace and serve the real Aslan or give into Rishda's advances if he says to her, "Aslan wants you to be mine". Then there could be the idea of aging Jill up or aging Rishda down, which I don't think there's a need to (I've actually seen in movies where a villain twice the main heroine's age is crushing on her). While I think it's a dumb idea, there's a fear of not knowing what filmmakers will do. (I don't want to be held accountable. It wasnt me ).

3. So much tensions- The Horse And His Boy is a journey story. When Shasta and Aravis first meet, they already have tensions against one another. But I think there's a fear they could find a way to extend on that. Not only that, but what about tensions with Lasaraleen and Aravis. When Lasaraleen is trying to talk so much, and Aravis gets tensed. That could create a lot of tension between them. In The Magician's Nephew, there is tensions with Digory and Polly in Charn. There's a possibility it could get out of hand. In The Last Battle, there's a possibility there's so much tension with the dwarfs after Tirian and the rest free them. And about when Emeth volunteers to go into the stable? Could they create tension between him and Rishda? There are things to be fearful of.

What are some things you don't want to happened in The Horse And His Boy, The Magician's Nephew, And The Last Battle? What are you fearful of what might happened? 

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

Topic starter Posted : November 6, 2021 8:13 pm
The Rose-Tree Dryad
(@rose)
Secret Garden Agent Moderator

Since we already have a thread for Hopes and Fears of What Will Happen in Narnia Movies, please continue this discussion there! Thanks. Smile

Posted : November 7, 2021 5:10 pm
Jasmine liked
Share: