Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Improvements Netflix Could Do For Prince Caspian?

Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

We've had a discussion on Improvements Netflix Could Do For Voyage of the Dawn Treader. But how about improvements that Netflix (if they're still on the edge) could do for Prince Caspian?

First, a bit of a side note, both BBC and Walden had originally thought about skipping Prince Caspian and go ahead to do Voyage of the Dawn Treader. I'm glad that neither of them did that, and I humbly pray that Netflix or whatever company doesn't do that. Praying  

While I enjoyed the Walden movie, it's still not a perfect movie. There's still impressive things about it, though. I liked the BBC fine, though it felt a little rushed at times. That comes to show that no company is perfect.

So what are some improvements that Netflix or whatever company could do? Here are some that come to my mind-

1. Include the Nurse. Both BBC and Walden cut out the Nurse, which I was kind of saddened by it. They should find a way to include her. Perhaps have her show up in Caspian's bedroom to tell him stories or even at the freeing of the school children.

2. Perhaps some more sympathetic Telmarines would be nice. The only sympathetic Telmarines that Walden had that I could think were Prunaprismia and Glozelle. It didn't quite fit Prunaprismia's character from the book, but it did fit Glozelle, given that he wasn't all that loyal to Miraz. Walden gave him a character arch. The scene where Miraz manipulated Glozelle to lie is perhaps one of my favorite scenes. Plus, in the Walden, he was the first to volunteer to go through the doorway. But I would like to see some more sympathetic Telmarines.

3. Friendship without romance. Yes, I'm sure you saw this coming. I felt the romance between Caspian and Susan was a bit forced. If they want to find a way to give the girls more interaction with Caspian, I'd be fine with that. But romance doesn't belong in Prince Caspian. It can work for Caspian and Ramandu's Daughter in Voyage of the Dawn Treader and Cor and Aravis in The Horse And His Boy and even Frank and Helen in The Magician's Nephew. I know people are into shipping, but could we please not pair two characters, and have them be close friends? Eyeroll I am still kind of afraid of it, though I am pretty confidant it won't happen again.

4. Is there a way not to include the White Witch? I mean, I kind of saw what Walden was trying to do with her. It's actually a really creative and impressive scene. But wouldn't it be nice for a change if they don't go the route of bringing the old villain back? Walden tried to squeeze her in Prince Caspian and I think they did it too much in Voyage of the Dawn Treader. So no need to bring back the White Witch again.

5. Susan not participating in the battle scenes. I don't think that's quite fitting for her character, especially if she is titled "Queen Susan the Gentle." Her character should be gentle and sympathetic.

6. Include the freeing of the school children. Both BBC and Walden cut the freeing of the school children. While they did a good job with the sadness, "I wish things was the same as they were", but they didn't sell on the joy, how they were happy that the old days are back. So I would like to see the freeing of the school children be included.

What are some improvements do you think Netflix or whatever company could do for Prince Caspian?

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 24, 2023 3:30 pm
KingNainofArchenland
(@king-nain)
NarniaWeb Regular

I don't think it can be filmed without ruining it as Walden did. The non-linear story is difficult to deal with, and the Walden version was awful. The Walden LWW worked because they had a simple, straightforward story to begin with, but all the others are too complex, they will only ruin them.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 25, 2023 8:17 pm
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

The story of Prince Caspian could be made in a way similar to the Focus on the Family radio dramas.  While it is true that the Focus on the Family Narnia is an audio drama I believe the movies and TV series could follow its example in preparing the scripts. There could be more faithfulness to the books without necessarily copying the radio dramas.  It wouldn’t be perfect, but it might be a more complete Prince Caspian. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 26, 2023 5:43 am
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru
Posted by: @narnian78

The story of Prince Caspian could be made in a way similar to the Focus on the Family radio dramas.  While it is true that the Focus on the Family Narnia is an audio drama I believe the movies and TV series could follow its example in preparing the scripts. There could be more faithfulness to the books without necessarily copying the radio dramas.  It wouldn’t be perfect, but it might be a more complete Prince Caspian. 🙂

I actually thought of that. It is certainly an option.

I wonder that in the Walden, it have made more sense that the Night Raid, even though it wasn't in the book, was placed before Caspian called the Pevensies. When they realize that many of their Narnians have died, they head for Aslan's Howe, and Doctor Cornelius tells him, "It is now the time to blow Queen Susan's Horn to call for help."

I don't know if a new adaption of Prince Caspian would start at the railway station like the book and BBC or would it start in Narnia like Walden. Those are both options though. I think it would be a nice addition if they actually had they nurse tell Caspian the stories of the old days.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 26, 2023 1:38 pm
Narnian78 liked
Cobalt Jade
(@cobalt-jade)
NarniaWeb Nut

I don't know if a new adaption of Prince Caspian would start at the railway station like the book and BBC or would it start in Narnia like Walden. Those are both options though. I think it would be a nice addition if they actually had they nurse tell Caspian the stories of the old days.

It would be a great idea to combine them, showing Nurse, or Dr. Cornelius perhaps, telling young Caspian the stories of old Narnia, ending with the Pevensies sitting on their thrones, and then the scene fades into the railroad station with the now-young Pevensies sitting in the same positions on the railway bench.

If Prince Caspian must be made (and I'm one of those fans who is fine with skipping it) I'd put the focus on the Pevensies, with them, and the watchers, only finding out about what happened only after Trumpkin tells them.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 26, 2023 3:28 pm
coracle liked
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru
Posted by: @cobalt-jade

It would be a great idea to combine them, showing Nurse, or Dr. Cornelius perhaps, telling young Caspian the stories of old Narnia, ending with the Pevensies sitting on their thrones, and then the scene fades into the railroad station with the now-young Pevensies sitting in the same positions on the railway bench.

There's an idea. Though I lean towards the nurse to tell Caspian stories of the old days. Then he spills the beans to Miraz, and Doctor Cornelius comes in to the picture.

Perhaps we should also address the freeing of the school children, which both BBC and Walden cut out. I suppose they would have to cut the battle scene (though I would still like for the duel between Miraz and Peter to be included). Then another thought, I suppose you could cut the camera back and forth between the battle with the boys and the freeing of the school children with the girls. It would be kind of like what the animated LWW did, cutting back and forth between the battle with the boys and freeing of the statues with the girls.

Posted by: @cobalt-jade

If Prince Caspian must be made (and I'm one of those fans who is fine with skipping it) I'd put the focus on the Pevensies, with them, and the watchers, only finding out about what happened only after Trumpkin tells them.

I'm sure there are some who would be alright with Netflix skipping Prince Caspian. Though I'm sure that @rose and @courtenay would like to see it to be adapted.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 26, 2023 5:09 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

So I'll admit that Walden's Prince Caspian is not perfect, but it is well done cinematically.

1. The acting- The acting was well done. It's nice to see all the Pevensies actors to come back to reprise their roles. Ben Barnes brought out the Caspian in him (though I felt he acted like a rebellious teenager at times). I thought Sergio Castellito was well cast as the villainous Miraz. I know it's almost too cliche to have a bad guy, but he wasn't like the "murderous uncle" stereotype. He was not so much of a coward as Claudius in Hamlet. So all in all, the acting was well done.

2. The transition- It's not that easy to do in movies. In the book, all it is that the Pevensies felt that something was pulling or dragging them. In the movie, it had the epic train station going away and the train going by. So sometimes film adaptions had to re-imagine transitions from earth to Narnia and back. For the most part, I'm actually okay with that.

3. The duel- The duel between Miraz and Peter, while intense, it was actually well done. It was nice to see Peter back in the same armor that he wore in the first movie. Miraz's armor was in bronze, as oppose to the rest of the Telmarines.

So are there any problems I have with the movie? Well, not a lot. But if I had to pick a couple-

1. Caspian and Susan romance- Yes, I'm sure you saw this coming. It's not that I hated it, I just wasn't a huge fan of it. I thought it was a bit forced. Though I was glad that they the girls more interaction with Prince Caspian. But I would have preferred if Caspian and Susan had more of a sibling like relationship. It almost didn't made sense anyways, since Caspian actually goes on to marry Ramandu's daughter.

2. Peter and Caspian tension- Peter wasn't willing to give the throne to Caspian. The whole point in the book was, "I haven't come to take your place but to place you in it." The movie was in totally contrast to that. I kind of saw what they were trying to give Peter a character arch.

So as far as improvements go, I wouldn't mind if the girls got some more interaction with Caspian, but I think he needs to have a relationship with the Pevensies like they're his siblings, perhaps give him some brotherly and sisterly advice on what it means to be a leader.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 3, 2023 7:00 pm
Courtenay liked
Share: