Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Ideal Filming Locations for Netflix

Page 4 / 4
nathanael
(@nathanael)
NarniaWeb Newbie

I think a lot of what takes place in Narnia could be filmed in the UK and Ireland, as these are plenty of forests, plains, and mountains there.

As for Archenland, I don’t think the mountains in the British isles are high or snowcapped enough, and would look too similar to Narnia, I always pictured it being like the Alps. 

I don’t really know about Chalorman, any desert with sand dunes would probably do. I lived in Oman for a while and there were plenty deserts there that would do, as well as rocky coasts and arid mountains. There are also beehive tombs there (at Bat and Al-Ayn) which are similar to those outside Tashbaan. I pictured the lands of Chalorman that are further south so be more like a Mediterranean landscape, of say Cyprus or Southern Turkey.

As for the northern lands, there is a large open expanse in the Scottish Highlands called Rannoch Moor, which would do fine for Ettinsmoor I think. I believe there are also perfectly good open windswept landscapes in Iceland, with perhaps a darker colour of mountains nearby. I think the Black Cuillin, on the Isle of Skye in Scotland would be great as the Giant’s Country, as they are jagged and black mountains.

I pictured the mountains in the Magician’s Nephew, when they go to the garden on the hill, to be like those of the Karakoram Range in Pakistan; very jagged and covered in ice. 

Filming in all those places would probably be very expensive, and a lot of it is just similar to how I imagined it, and I guess many others may see them totally differently.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 31, 2022 10:13 am
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

Realistically, I think that a lot less 'on location' filming is likely, with more use of location shots taken for backgrounds for green screen filming.
Personally, I'd love it if filming came to New Zealand again, with special deals available from our government.
(I was sad and disappointed that Amazon uprooted its production from NZ after filming its first season of LOTR Rings of Power - I'd hoped for work).

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 31, 2022 3:44 pm
Courtenay liked
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee
Posted by: @coracle

(I was sad and disappointed that Amazon uprooted its production from NZ after filming its first season of LOTR Rings of Power - I'd hoped for work)

As a hobbit extra (or an extra hobbit)?? Giggle Grin Wink

(Only teasing, Coracle — and I'm aware the Amazon series is set before the rise of hobbit-kind anyway.)

Even if Netflix does use CGI for at least some of its locations, it'll be interesting to see what kind of "look" they give Narnia and the surrounding countries. Narnia itself has quite a diversity of locations and landscapes, which don't all necessarily match any one specific region of Britain or Ireland, let alone other parts of the world. I'm thinking of Bree's rather lyrical description in HHB, during his first conversation with Shasta:

"The happy land of Narnia — Narnia of the heathery mountains and the thymy downs, Narnia of the many rivers, the plashing glens, the mossy caverns and the deep forests ringing with the hammers of the Dwarfs. Oh the sweet air of Narnia!..."

(Now I think about it, a lot of that description sounds more like Scotland than anywhere else I know of, although I can't guarantee the presence of Dwarfs in the forests of Scotland. Grin )

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 1, 2022 2:30 pm
Glenwit
(@glenwit)
NarniaWeb Nut
Posted by: @coracle

Realistically, I think that a lot less 'on location' filming is likely, with more use of location shots taken for backgrounds for green screen filming.

This definitely makes the most sense for the winter scenes, logistically speaking. Although I do remember there being a few somewhat obvious green screen moments in both BBC and Walden adaptations (where you can actually see the outline of the actors against the background)....I am hoping somewhat that we can avoid that this time around!

This is the journey
This is the trial
For the hero inside us all
I can hear adventure call
Here we go

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 12, 2022 11:25 am
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

@glenwit 

I think the BBC did get it right with the location filming in the UK where there are castles and beautiful landscapes. You can notice the green screen with the scenes of Aslan flying in the air in the first production, but it can be forgiven with the small budget that the creators had to work with. With a bigger budget more realism is possible.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 13, 2022 9:28 am
Glenwit
(@glenwit)
NarniaWeb Nut

@narnian78 

That's a good point - it didn't happen too often with BBC, but it's understandable when it did.  Walden had a higher budget but they still had this issue from time to time.  That's what I hope Netflix can avoid with their budget (and how they allocate it).

This is the journey
This is the trial
For the hero inside us all
I can hear adventure call
Here we go

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 13, 2022 10:29 am
Narnian78 liked
icarus
(@icarus)
NarniaWeb Guru

For what it's worth, Green Screen seems to be on the way out as the primary film-making technique for this sort of production.

If you watched any of The Mandalorian you can get a good idea of why the new Digital Set technology looks so much more convincing:

For something like Narnia it's probably very unlikely you could ever shoot everything on location anyway, especially given how restrictive filming with Children can be from a legal standpoint (note how many unconvincing "day for night" shots are in the Walden films) but I think the technology now exists to make things like that less of a problem these days.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 14, 2022 8:22 pm
LentenLands
(@lentenlands)
NarniaWeb Regular

I'd argue Scotland would be an ideal filming location for at least The Magician's Nephew.

Not just due to the fact the landscape encompasses mountains, valleys, and wooded glens (perfect for the wood between the worlds) but also because it has Glasgow and Edinburgh.

Two cities that can (and frequently have) doubled for Victorian and Edwardian London.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 18, 2022 5:30 pm
Courtenay liked
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

So many to choose from.

I actually agree with most people on here that filming locations should stay away from California, because that's where most big Hollywood studios are located.

I would like to see a variety of landscapes for Narnia. England would be one thing; maybe Ireland would be idea.

Maybe some of Italy for Archenland. The Alps could be idea for Mount Pire.

I also think Spain could be a good location for Calormen. I don't believe anyone has mention Spain. It has some great landscapes.

So I would probably like to see a variety of landscapes, but mostly keep it in the UK.

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 3, 2023 8:23 am
Page 4 / 4
Share: