Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Ideal Filming Locations for Netflix

Page 2 / 4
SilverSea
(@silversea)
NarniaWeb Nut

I bet the Dawn Treader episodes will be filmed on some studio water tank like how the 2010 movie was supposed to be done.

I'd prefer if the series was filmed on location instead of a studio. Studio sets tend to look extremely soundstage-y in the final product. Granted that kind of aesthetic worked for the Series of Unfortunate Events TV series since it had a stylized fakeness to it, but Narnia has to look real.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 15, 2019 6:42 pm
icarus
(@icarus)
NarniaWeb Guru

Last week I watched the Netflix adaptation of The Witcher books, which was shot predominantly in Hungary.

Then this week I watched the Netflix adaptation of William Shakespeare's King Henry V (simply titled 'The King') which was also shot in Hungary - I'm pretty sure they filmed it on the exact same studio backlot as the village set looked identical to the one in The Witcher.

I am currently tempted to start watching the BBC / Netflix adaptation of The Last Kingdom, which you guessed it, was filmed predominantly in Hungary.

All of which is a long way to say that if I were a betting man I'd put my money on Narnia shooting at least in part in Hungary.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 29, 2019 12:23 pm
Cleander
(@the-mad-poet-himself)
NarniaWeb Guru

Hmmm, there may be something in that. Perhaps a Netflix had a multiyear deal of some kind with somebody in Hungary...

PM me to join the Search for the Seven Swords!
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club!
Did I mention I have a YouTube Channel?: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCeuUaOTFts5BQV3c-CPlo_g
Check out my site: https://madpoetscave.weebly.com

signature by aileth

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 29, 2019 1:29 pm
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

I'd like to think they will vary the scenery!! Narnia needs to look different from other fantasy locations.

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 29, 2019 2:41 pm
jewel
(@jewel)
NarniaWeb Nut

I bet the Dawn Treader episodes will be filmed on some studio water tank like how the 2010 movie was supposed to be done.

I'd prefer if the series was filmed on location instead of a studio. Studio sets tend to look extremely soundstage-y in the final product. Granted that kind of aesthetic worked for the Series of Unfortunate Events TV series since it had a stylized fakeness to it, but Narnia has to look real.

Agreed! Film Studios have given in too much to making movies in studios rather than actual locations.
I read the question to this topic again, and as I thought about it, I thought Middle Europe would be good because of all the mountains. Maybe Austria? ''The hills are alive because of the sound of music!'' Oh wait, that's not Narnia! Haha! There are plenty of good locations for the Silver Chair.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 29, 2019 3:50 pm
coracle
(@coracle)

Not just The Silver Chair, jewel, but the entire Narnia series.
(Netflix is not beginning with the next film we were previously awaiting, but we assume it will begin with The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe, or The Magician's Nephew).

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 29, 2019 7:47 pm
Glenwit
(@glenwit)
NarniaWeb Nut

DAE think that Mapperton House in Dorset would make an absolutely stunning Kirk Mansion?

It is a lot like the house I've always seen in my mind's eye when reading the books.
It also bears an uncanny resemblance to Pauline Baynes' illustration of the house on page 55 of LWW (which I never noticed until like a year or two ago) and would also bring a level of authenticity regarding the location of the house in the book (I believe it was implied in MN to be in Dorset).
Plus the grounds would make for some really cool outdoor scenes/shots.

This is the journey
This is the trial
For the hero inside us all
I can hear adventure call
Here we go

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 30, 2019 9:15 pm
Impending Doom
(@impending-doom)
Adventurous Stranger Knight of NarniaWeb

Do let's stay away from New Zealand. It's synonymous with Middle Earth. Its grandeur, in my opinion, just doesn't fit Narnia's aesthetic (in most instances). I'd like to trade in the soaring mountains, giant forests, and vast plains for a more cozy version of Narnia.

Narnia is quintessentially British. The more time I spend there, the more it reflects the Narnia I read in the books. It's inescapably Narnian.

I have seen landscapes, notably in the Mourne Mountains and southwards which under a particular light made me feel that at any moment a giant might raise his head over the next ridge. I yearn to see County Down in the snow, one almost expects to see a march of dwarfs dashing past. How I long to break into a world where such things were true.

Bring Narnia back to its home in the UK!

"Tollers, there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves." - C.S. Lewis

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 31, 2019 8:00 am
coracle
(@coracle)

Although I would love to work on Narnia films or TV, and I live in New Zealand, I agree with you. The natural landscape is generally not as cosily British as Narnia needs.
I'd love to see some of Ireland used, especially the areas Lewis grew up in. It's a beautiful country.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 31, 2019 3:15 pm
Courtenay liked
mm1991
(@mm1991)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Norway and Finland would be very interesting locations to film, very beautiful.

"Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than you!"
- Dr. Seuss

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 1, 2020 10:28 pm
Reepicheep775
(@reepicheep775)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Do let's stay away from New Zealand. It's synonymous with Middle Earth. Its grandeur, in my opinion, just doesn't fit Narnia's aesthetic (in most instances). I'd like to trade in the soaring mountains, giant forests, and vast plains for a more cozy version of Narnia.

Narnia is quintessentially British. The more time I spend there, the more it reflects the Narnia I read in the books. It's inescapably Narnian.

I have seen landscapes, notably in the Mourne Mountains and southwards which under a particular light made me feel that at any moment a giant might raise his head over the next ridge. I yearn to see County Down in the snow, one almost expects to see a march of dwarfs dashing past. How I long to break into a world where such things were true.

Bring Narnia back to its home in the UK!

It would be really cool if they filmed in the magic-looking locations Lewis knew from his childhood. I don't think you could get any more authentically Narnian than that. The more I think about it, the more I think Ireland should be where they film the new series - at least the portions that take place in Narnia.

I've also been thinking about how to film the portions of the story that take place in England. I think it would be best to minimize the use of nature shots while in England and instead show the more industrial, urban side of it. Or maybe have every nature shot have some kind of ugly man-made structures that go along with it. If you show a forest, show loggers. If you show the sea, show shipyards. etc. Make it look like there's nothing that humans haven't "defiled" (to use the language of PC).

It would create a contrast when the kids go to Narnia. The Walden movies did this a little bit, but it mostly focused on the war, the kids being powerless, and grey camera filters contrasting with the bright colours of Narnia.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 2, 2020 5:19 am
coracle
(@coracle)

And the wartime English scenes weren't even shot in UK.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 2, 2020 7:03 am
Impending Doom
(@impending-doom)
Adventurous Stranger Knight of NarniaWeb

DAE think that Mapperton House in Dorset would make an absolutely stunning Kirk Mansion? Plus the grounds would make for some really cool outdoor scenes/shots.

I just had the chance to look into the Mapperton House today... What a beautiful location! The gardens would make an excellent set. I wonder if they'd allow an entire crew to film there. Though, it would only be exterior scenes being filmed so it wouldn't cause a large disturbance to the House.

I've also been thinking about how to film the portions of the story that take place in England. I think it would be best to minimize the use of nature shots while in England and instead show the more industrial, urban side of it. Or maybe have every nature shot have some kind of ugly man-made structures that go along with it. If you show a forest, show loggers. If you show the sea, show shipyards. etc. Make it look like there's nothing that humans haven't "defiled" (to use the language of PC).

It would create a contrast when the kids go to Narnia. The Walden movies did this a little bit, but it mostly focused on the war, the kids being powerless, and grey camera filters contrasting with the bright colours of Narnia.

Love that idea! It's actually very Narnian, thematically.

"Tollers, there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves." - C.S. Lewis

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 3, 2020 7:09 am
coracle
(@coracle)

It's a bit unfair to England though. PC and VDT did the wartime city scenes well, only missing showing people's lawns converted to grow vegetables.
But the countryside remained beautiful and unspoiled. It wasn't Isengard. ;)

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 3, 2020 8:01 am
icarus
(@icarus)
NarniaWeb Guru

Hmmm, there may be something in that. Perhaps a Netflix had a multiyear deal of some kind with somebody in Hungary...

I don't know. It's hard to assess exactly what Netflix's business model is when it comes to original productions, and how much direct involvement they have in the day-to-day filming, however if you exclude the material they simply license from other producers and re-brand as Netflix "Originals", I do tend to notice the same filming locations re-appear again and again in their own-branded productions.

Some of it is perhaps inevitable, particularly with the various shows set in New York (Russian Doll, the Marvel shows, etc.) however even then there are some oddly specific city blocks and individual buildings they return to shoot in time and time again. Maybe its just a convenience thing, maybe its just a case that when you watch enough TV shows and movies in general you realise there are only a finite number of easily accessible filming locations for certain types of scenes.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 3, 2020 12:28 pm
Page 2 / 4
Share: