Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

How are you feeling about Netflix running Narnia? Poll was created on Nov 14, 2020

Poll results: How are you feeling about Netflix running Narnia?
Voter(s): 43
Poll was created on Nov 14, 2020
My opinion hasn't changed.  -  votes: 19 / 44.2%
44.2%
I'm feeling more optimistic.  -  votes: 6 / 14%
14%
I'm feeling less optimistic.  -  votes: 18 / 41.9%
41.9%

How's everyone feeling about Netflix?

Page 5 / 5
KingEdTheJust
(@kingedthejust)
NarniaWeb Nut
Posted by: @lady-jill-the-loyal

So if I had a choice I would prefer Netflix to essentially give us an updated version of the BBC's Narnia, with better effects, et cetera. Still the same faithfulness to the books

I love the BBC Narnia as well and I absolutely adore the child-like, peaceful vibes it gives you. It very much puts Narnia to life. However, I love the films just as much because of how family-like the Pevensies act. I like both adaptations for different reasons and that is why I personally don't want Netflix to be an updated version of BBC. Each adaptation has it's pros and cons, no matter how closely we hold either one to heart. In fact, one of the reasons I don't want Netflix to be based on BBC is because of it's faithfulness. I feel it makes the adaptation a little bland, because you're just seeing the book on screen, and that's not what an adaptation is. It changes things, and I like that particularly about the films. Now don't get me wrong, It's not that I don't want Netflix to refer to BBC when it makes it's adaptation. In fact, I want the films to be faithful like BBC, but not too faithful. 

Overall, I want Netflix to never base it's adaptation on just one thing. The films or BBC. I want it to refer to both when making it's adaptation, while also creating some of it's own. Maybe something that Narnian fans may like or dislike, but something new. Of course, it's too early to know what Netflix is going to do, or how they are going to do it. All I hope is that they make something original, faithful and pure Narnian. 

"But even a traitor may mend. I have known one that did." - (King Edmund the Just, Horse and his Boy)

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 30, 2021 7:28 pm
Col Klink liked
mm1991
(@mm1991)
NarniaWeb Junkie

I went with optimistic, for the fact I can't imagine Netflix wasting this opportunity. They have also provided updates here and there. 

Netflix already has children's programming, but as previously pointed out, not a ton of their own genuinely original creations. If there is any pessimism I have, it's actually the opposite of what seems to be popular thought in this thread - I think they are aiming for a very young crowd, a very family-friendly version that will make our recent movies seem "dark," which pains me (not that I want anything too gloomy). And I do think the pandemic probably put a wrench in any plans and development, as it did many other projects in Hollywood. 

Netflix just keeps getting more subscribers by the year, and that's not going to go away any time soon. So I hope whatever direction they choose to take it, they'll use decent finances towards it so it can be the best it can be. 

"Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than you!"
- Dr. Seuss

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 31, 2021 11:24 pm
Pete
 Pete
(@pete)
NarniaWeb Newbie
Posted by: @fantasia

Fast forward a few years... My husband and I just recently cancelled Netflix due to the fact that every time I would watch a new show they had produced, there was always some little snipe they seem to have gone out of their way to put in to attack personal beliefs I have. That's fine, they have the right to make whatever they want, but I'm not going to use my money to support it. And for the record, no, I'm not boycotting Netflix, just taking a break for an undetermined length of time. 😉 

To be honest I understand where you're coming from on this @fantasia.  My wife and I cancelled Netflix for similar reasons.  This said, I am not writing this off completely, rather I have a wait and see approach to this Netflix Narnia deal.  It has the potential of being really great, but could also be potentially disappointing.  My biggest hope is that they respect the author, really appreciate the source material, respect Doug Gresham and respect the C.S. Lewis Estate - if this is the case then I'll be happy, if not, I won't.

I voted my opinion hasn't changed, when I heard that Netflix had the rights to all 7 books, I was very happy and intrigued to hear that they had the rights to all 7 books - which of course as was reported hadn't been the case in previous deals with the books.  This had my attention to begin with.  But I also had concerns about the deal when I became more aware of some of the content that Netflix has on their service.

What am I hoping for in any films/series Netflix makes?  Well, obviously their own version, it doesn't have to be copies of any previous versions, but somethings I like from the films - the casting & all the special effects.  Somethings I loved about the BBC series too though that I think the movies lacked - they didn't give enough screen time to Aslan, for the audience to really appreciate him, and they took out the cozy, magical, nice things like the dinner with the beavers, the resting in the in the beaver's hide out - these sort of things should be included and something that none of the productions I've seen had - the romps.  Keep the magic, don't make it all epic and action.  That's my hopes, and I think Netflix could do well at this...I hope they do.

This post was modified 2 months ago 5 times by Pete

*~JESUS is my REASON!~*

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 2, 2021 6:58 am
Courtenay liked
Jasmine
(@jasminetarkheena)
NarniaWeb Nut

I am looking forward to it. I just hope they don't ruin it.

“I said, Lord, Thou knowest how much I understand. But I said also (for the truth constrained me), Yet I have been seeking Tash all my days. Beloved, said the Glorious One, unless thy desire had been for me thou wouldst not have sought so long and so truly. For all find what they truly seek!"
(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 10, 2021 2:37 pm
Page 5 / 5
Share: