Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Hopes and Fears of What will Happen in Narnia Movies

Page 2 / 6
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

@courtenay And we’re not told what happened to Rishda after Peter banished Tash. All we know is that Tash vanished with Rishda still under his arms (I actually don’t want to think about it). 

Shift gets hurled into the stable, and we’re told later that Tash ate him. I don’t know if they’ll actually show that or keep it as after the fact.

We’re not told what happened to Ginger after he’s turned into a dumb beast and runs up in a tree. Most likely he was among the beasts that disappeared into the shadows. 

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : November 19, 2021 5:31 pm
Glenwit
(@glenwit)
NarniaWeb Nut

Guys, I need to apologize. There's a difference between an unpopular opinion and a poorly thought out one. My contributions the last 36 have been the latter. 

I still have a lot to learn, and I need to admit that. Will probably be stepping away for a while sooner rather than later but I definitely want to make this a line in the sand before that happens. 

Sorry again, everyone. 

This is the journey
This is the trial
For the hero inside us all
I can hear adventure call
Here we go

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 19, 2021 6:19 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

@glenwit We're all learning something. Mistakes are actually part of learning. The old saying goes "Those who don't remember history are doomed to repeat it."

Aslan scratched Aravis to teach her a lesson. She needed to know what it felt like for the maid who was most likely beaten.

Eustace was turned into a dragon to be taught a lesson. It's like those stories about someone who's turned into a beast for their beastly behavior.  I wonder how Netflix will do the undragoning of Eustace. I think they've said on the Talking Beasts Podcast that it's a very hard scene to do.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : November 19, 2021 6:41 pm
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

@courtenay This idea you reject is exactly in keeping with the one I rejected earlier - that Tash is a sort of equal opposite to Aslan. Some people in our world reinterpret Narnia based on very different spiritual beliefs, and the idea that Tash has his own kingdom, in any way equivalent to Narnia, is abhorrrent.
@glenwit  Sorry to have given you a shock. I'll tweak the start of my earlier post. But if you follow it down the thread, you can probably see why I disagreed.

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 19, 2021 8:22 pm
Courtenay and Glenwit liked
Glenwit
(@glenwit)
NarniaWeb Nut

@coracle 

You don't need to apologize, we're fine  🙂 

I understand where you were coming from - I was just trying to make sure nobody thought I held any counter scriptural beliefs.

This is the journey
This is the trial
Here we go

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 19, 2021 8:32 pm
coracle liked
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

@glenwit counter scriptural? No, I think you hold 'centaur scriptural' ones! Wink  

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 19, 2021 8:37 pm
Courtenay liked
Glenwit
(@glenwit)
NarniaWeb Nut

Hahahaha - wait, is that good or bad? 😆 

This is the journey
This is the trial
Here we go

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 19, 2021 8:41 pm
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee
Posted by: @coracle

@courtenay This idea you reject is exactly in keeping with the one I rejected earlier - that Tash is a sort of equal opposite to Aslan.

Yes, I was responding to your post as well — I just didn't quote it directly, but what you said was spot on.

Some people in our world reinterpret Narnia based on very different spiritual beliefs, and the idea that Tash has his own kingdom, in any way equivalent to Narnia, is abhorrrent.

I wasn't meaning disrespect towards anyone else's beliefs, either — just responding to the fact that a couple of previous posts were stating specifically that Tash has his own kingdom, and I can't see any evidence for that in the book. Even leaving theological arguments out of it — though those are vital to why this particular author wrote the way he did — if Lewis doesn't tell us that Tash has his own kingdom, then Tash doesn't have his own kingdom.

Possibly another source of the confusion (I didn't think of this last night) is Aslan's statement (to Emeth) about himself and Tash: "Not because he and I are one, but because we are opposites..." But in no way does he claim that he and Tash are equals — in fact, that's clearly not the case, precisely because Aslan is entirely good and Tash is entirely evil. If Lewis was basing his stories on a religion or philosophy where good and evil are equal forces that exist in balance with each other, then it would make sense to have Tash as the opposite-but-equal counterpart to Aslan. But no form of Christianity teaches that, and that's where Lewis was coming from. I just hope Netflix will respect that and NOT make Tash into some sort of universal cosmic supervillain who has any real power to use against Aslan!! 

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 20, 2021 12:59 am
coracle liked
icarus
(@icarus)
NarniaWeb Guru

This topic seems to have turned into quite a deep theological debate...

Posted by: @glenwit

I understand where you were coming from - I was just trying to make sure nobody thought I held any counter scriptural beliefs.

I wouldn't feel the need to apologize for this. Even if you did, it absolutely shouldn't matter. I think it's also worth reminding people that there are a lot of people on this forum who hold entirely non-Christian beliefs. Myself included. I do not believe that should however preclude people from enjoying the Chronicles of Narnia or having their own opinions about the stories.

For what it's worth, I actually agree with you on the original point raised - that it would be advantageous in the Netflix adaptation to provide greater character development for Tash prior to the Last Battle.

Tash is a character that exists in the Chronicles, he plays a significant role in the series finale, so developing his character throughout the entire run a bit more just seems like good storytelling to me and well within the scope of an adaptation to make.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 20, 2021 7:31 am
Glenwit liked
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

I'm sure non of us mean disrespect towards anyone's religion, @courtenay. Religion is kind of a sensitive topic, like politics.

I think Netflix should keep Tash more like Smaug in The Hobbit or Shere Khan in Disney's The Jungle Book or the raptors in Jurassic Park. We hear about Smaug terrorizing Dale, but we actually don't see him into midway through. In Disney's The Jungle Book, we hear about Shere Khan lurking in the jungle, but we don't see him midway through. Even in Jurassic Park, we hear about raptors being breed, but we don't see them until they make a sudden a appearance midway through.

So I would hope Netflix would keep Tash like that. He is talked about in The Horse And His Boy and The Last Battle. It was not until The Last Battle that he has come to life, either when Shift makes the claim that Tash and Aslan are one and the same or when Rishda uses Tash's name just randomly, though not believing in him.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : November 20, 2021 8:04 am
Glenwit
(@glenwit)
NarniaWeb Nut
Posted by: @icarus

This topic seems to have turned into quite a deep theological debate....

Yeah, I didn't mean for that to happen Sad  

For what it's worth, I actually agree with you on the original point raised - that it would be advantageous in the Netflix adaptation to provide greater character development for Tash prior to the Last Battle.

Tash is a character that exists in the Chronicles, he plays a significant role in the series finale, so developing his character throughout the entire run a bit more just seems like good storytelling to me and well within the scope of an adaptation to make.

You worded it much better than me but that's what I was trying to get at originally. 

@Courtenay

I like your above point as well.  Aslan does state that he and Tash are opposites.  They're just not equals, because Aslan's still stronger. 

This is the journey
This is the trial
Here we go

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 20, 2021 8:47 am
The Rose-Tree Dryad
(@rose)
Secret Garden Agent Moderator

As far as Tash's Country goes, I would like to point out that some countries can be very small, e.g. Monaco. Giggle I don't think Tash having a "country" would be that big of a deal, as long as he's not presented as being some sort of cosmic counterbalance to Aslan. He is described as having his own place and it appears to be within Tash's "authority" to take Rishda there, although I would expect it to be very shabby and uncomfortable (similar to the version of Hell in Lewis's The Great Divorce.)

But as far as fears go, I would be much more worried that they would try to make Jadis and Tash the same character. Please no multi-armed vulture Jadis. Tongue

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 20, 2021 10:29 am
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru
Posted by: @rose

But as far as fears go, I would be much more worried that they would try to make Jadis and Tash the same character. Please no multi-armed vulture Jadis. Tongue

I don't want that to happen either. The thought of making Jadis and the Lady of the Green Kirtle the same person is bad enough.

I think a way to avoid making the White Witch and the Green Lady the same person is they get a lesser known actress to play the White Witch, not a big Hollywood actress. Don't get me wrong, I loved Tilda Swinton's portrayal of the White Witch. I think they kept bringing her back because she's an Oscar-winner.

BBC-Mini Series cast Barbara Kellerman as the White Witch and the Green Lady. They never even said on there that they were the same person. I think it was for budgetary reasons.

It seems that in media these days, everyone is related to everyone now. Tongue Giggle  

Also, no green mist when Tash is coming into Narnia! The need to tie the green mist to the Lady of the Green Kirtle is bad enough. We don't need to tie it to another evil being! Also, the moment where Tirian throws Shift into the stable, there is a blinding green light in there. It might get the idea, "Oh, it's a green mist!" So no green mist connecting to Tash!

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : November 20, 2021 10:53 am
Courtenay liked
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

I have a fear of how are they going to depict the Calormenes and the culture, and is it going to be done right. I think that can be a very hard thing to do, and even try to explain it to a kid. The culture involves slavery, the upper-class Tarkaans and Tarkheenas looked down upon the slaves, human sacrifices offer to their chief deity, Tash, arranged marriages, young Tarkheenas were married off to much older Tarkaans a lot of times. I can kind of see Netflix struggling with the depiction of the Calormenes and the culture. It's a common problem for cinema and media. Disney kind of struggled with depicting the gypsies and its culture in The Hunchback of Notre Dame. When you try to explain the gypsy culture to a kid, it's a very hard thing to do. It's like, "Oh, they're all traveling thieves" then "No, they're not all like that" then "They're looked down upon!" So that could be a very hard thing for Netflix to do, trying to depict the Calormene culture. Like when you're depicting the upper class society, it would be the easiest thing to say, "Oh, they're all like that! They're self-indulgent!" While Aravis is arrogant at times, she does learned humility. She is annoyed at her friend Lasaraleen's extravagant lifestyle, being the wife of a wealthy Tarkaan. Emeth is the son of a Tarkaan, and he's actually not anything like Rishda. When you compare those two Calormenes that are the only ones named in the book, Rishda is after a higher power (though he is already an upper class Tarkaan), and Emeth is seeking out something greater. So trying to depict the Calormenes and the culture would be very hard thing to do, and even trying to explain that they're not all the same (notably Aravis and Emeth). So I think that would be my #1 fear.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 15, 2022 11:25 am
CalormenWarrior
(@calormenwarrior)
NarniaWeb Regular

@jasmine_tarkheena The scenes in the movie with the Wood Between Worlds have everything to be very pleasant! I liked your ideas.

That part of the story with Emeth is one of my favorites in the whole franchise, I hope they don't cut it out... it's beautiful. I agree with you about being hard to depict Calormenes, I'm very curious to see it. I'm also afraid of romance... Narnia's story doesn't need it. However, it's hard to see a Hollywood production without it. 

But what I'm really looking forward to see is how they're going to treat Susan in The Last Battle. Many fans get angry about how Lewis write her off, and I understand them. I think Netflix would show some scenes with her in our world and her reaction to the train accident?

"In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it."

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 15, 2022 12:03 pm
Jasmine liked
Page 2 / 6
Share: