Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] General Movie Questions

Page 4 / 18
Deadman
(@deadman)
NarniaWeb Regular

Adeona asks:

So do they just shoot green-screen and add the background digitally after or do they actually have small-scale sets for shooting these pick-ups in?

It depends. Sometimes, after seeing footage of a completed scene, the production team might decide that a few close-up shots are required, sometimes a director might decide that additional dialogue must be added, filmed and inserted. Sometimes previous sets are available as a backdrop, sometimes they need to be remade; sometimes a generic sky will suffice as a background, and sometimes digital trickery must be employed.
If you look at some of “The Lord of the Rings” documentaries available on the DVDs you’ll see good accounts of how Peter Jackson used old sets, new sets or green screens to do pick-ups, particularly for the extended versions.

Sometimes, of course, pick-ups don’t fit as neatly as they might. In in the extended version of “The Return of the King”, for instance, it is particularly noticeable that Eowyn’s hair is quite disordered as she fights but suddenly neat when she is with the dying Theoden, and Legolas has brown eyes in some added scenes because Orlando Bloom forgot to wear his blue contacts.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 6, 2010 1:54 pm
lullaby2rocknroll
(@lullaby2rocknroll)
NarniaWeb Newbie

In the movie The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, there are symbols on the four thrones at Cair Paravel. Susan's symbol is the magic horn, Peter's symbol is a sword (I believe, correct me if I'm wrong), and Lucy's symbol is the flask of fireflower juice. These are the gifts that Father Christmas gave them earlier in the movie. But since Edmund was not present on this occassion, he did not receive a gift. I can't figure out what his symbol is in the movie, although I have tried more than once to identify it... my guess would be a bow and arrow based on the shape of the carving on his throne, although that seems more befitting of Susan. I was just wondering if anyone knows... what is the symbol on Edmund's throne?

In case you were want to see the symbols yourself, this scene occurs at 0205 on the DVD.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 6, 2010 5:08 pm
Salem
(@salem)
NarniaWeb Regular

In the movie The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, there are symbols on the four thrones at Cair Paravel. Susan's symbol is the magic horn, Peter's symbol is a sword (I believe, correct me if I'm wrong), and Lucy's symbol is the flask of fireflower juice. These are the gifts that Father Christmas gave them earlier in the movie. But since Edmund was not present on this occassion, he did not receive a gift. I can't figure out what his symbol is in the movie, although I have tried more than once to identify it... my guess would be a bow and arrow based on the shape of the carving on his throne, although that seems more befitting of Susan. I was just wondering if anyone knows... what is the symbol on Edmund's throne?

In case you were want to see the symbols yourself, this scene occurs at 0205 on the DVD.

Is a sword breaking the White Witch' wand
http://costumes.narniaweb.com/pevensies ... ation5.jpg
http://costumes.narniaweb.com/pevensies ... ation3.jpg

- Sorry for my bad english =x -

Youtube
Orkut

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 6, 2010 7:09 pm
Narnian1993
(@narnian1993)
NarniaWeb Regular

This may sound like a random question but i cant find the answer anywhere! In the PC book, as they are traveling, they come across a bear, like in the movie. but my question is, why did they not take the meat from the bear in the movie, like they did in the book? They would need some kind of food to eat and Caspian's army didnt look like they had alot.

It seems like a simple question but i would apperciate it- thanks!! :)

~You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me.~ C. S. Lewis

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 7, 2010 9:28 am
wolfloversk
(@wolfloversk)
The Wandering, Wild & Welcoming Winged Wolf Hospitality Committee

They did, remember the scene, when Trumpkin takes out his knife and Lucy hides her face in Peter's arm? They just didn't show them eating it probably because of either time constraints, or the fact that in may be too disgusting/ upsetting for the younger audience members. Actually come to think of it the dvd comentary said they were gonna show him actually cutting the meat, but they took it out, because the didn't want to upset the younger audience members.

"The mountains are calling and I must go, and I will work on while I can, studying incessantly." -John Muir
"Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed." -Richard Adams, Watership Down

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 7, 2010 9:52 am
Glenstorm the Great
(@glenstorm-the-great)
NarniaWeb Fanatic

That was one thing I didn't like. They didn't make it clear they were eating the bear. None of my friends who saw the movie and hadn't read the book though Trumpkin was cutting the meat up to take with them.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 17, 2010 11:48 am
Liberty Hoffman
(@liberty-hoffman)
NarniaWeb Master

^^ I have had the impression that they didn't take and eat the bear meat in the movie! it looks like Trumpkin was just sticking a knife in the bear to make sure it was dead!

NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 21, 2010 12:53 pm
decarus
(@decarus)
NarniaWeb Junkie

That is what i thought as well. I thought he was just cutting it's throat to make sure it was dead. I didn't think they took any meat with them.

There are no clouds in the sky. There is only the open sun and the Lord watches.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 21, 2010 2:19 pm
wolfloversk
(@wolfloversk)
The Wandering, Wild & Welcoming Winged Wolf Hospitality Committee

^^I don't know, maybe I just thought of it because thats how it happened in the book. But I thought it was implied that he cut it open, rather than just stabbing it by the way Lucy squirmed.

"The mountains are calling and I must go, and I will work on while I can, studying incessantly." -John Muir
"Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed." -Richard Adams, Watership Down

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 22, 2010 9:15 am
Liberty Hoffman
(@liberty-hoffman)
NarniaWeb Master

but decarus is right: they don't have any meat with them! :p

Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 22, 2010 11:36 am
Glenstorm the Great
(@glenstorm-the-great)
NarniaWeb Fanatic

^^not that we know of. That was one thing the film makers could have made clearer.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 22, 2010 3:45 pm
Narnian1993
(@narnian1993)
NarniaWeb Regular

Ok thanks everyone!! I just watched it again and it does look like he cut the bear, but they do not have any meat with them. as far as I can tell. thanks everyone for your imput!

~You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me.~ C. S. Lewis

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 8, 2010 6:07 am
decarus
(@decarus)
NarniaWeb Junkie

I have to insist that they don't actually show them carry away any meat or cut the bear up or discuss that they need food back at camp, so there is no proof that they actually took some of the bear with them. It is all speculation.

The low point of that scene anyway was that Susan waited until the bear almost ran her sister down and still didn't take the shot. In the book the bear jumped out at them very quickly and she was out shot by the DLF by the difference of a split second reaction.

There are no clouds in the sky. There is only the open sun and the Lord watches.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 9, 2010 4:24 pm
Liberty Hoffman
(@liberty-hoffman)
NarniaWeb Master

^^ yeah, Susan was a bit slow..... X( but hey, at least Trumpkin got the bear! ROLE REVERSE!!!!! :D

Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 13, 2010 9:22 am
A_Narnian_Ship
(@a_narnian_ship)
NarniaWeb Nut

The low point of that scene anyway was that Susan waited until the bear almost ran her sister down and still didn't take the shot. In the book the bear jumped out at them very quickly and she was out shot by the DLF by the difference of a split second reaction.

In the book, Susan never shoots because she is afraid that it might be a talking beast, and in Narnia, killing a talking beast is like murder. Trumpkin, though, realizes the difference, therefore being able to make the shot. In the movie she says, "Why didn't he stop?" showing that she really wasn't sure if it was good or not. Trumpkin replies, "You get treated like a dumb animal long enough, that's what you become."

I saw the movie....and was disappointed

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 17, 2010 3:22 pm
Page 4 / 18
Share: