Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] A Shocking Opening!

Page 1 / 3
SParcher44
(@sparcher44)
NarniaWeb Regular

A few months back I know there was a thread on whether VDT should have an action scene for an opening. I never really saw the air raid and Caspian fleeing as big action scenes and I never really saw Caspian fleeing as the 'opening' of PC, I saw the birth scene of Miraz Jr. as the beginning. Both the air raid and the birth were big shockers to draw the audience in and I never expected them (but did like them!). Should there be a shocker opening (action scene or not) like this for Voyage of the Dawn Treader? I think so because I did enjoy the other openings and they really pulled me in quickly!

LWW
As a film - *** out of ****
As an adaptation - **** out of ****

PC
As a film - **** out of ****
As an adaptation - *** out of ****

VDT
As a film - ** out of ****
As an adaptation - (1/2) of * out of ****

Topic starter Posted : June 7, 2010 4:09 pm
Brylowman
(@brylowman)
NarniaWeb Regular

I had thought that they might start with the pirates attacking the Dawn Treader but I doubt now that that will happen. The tournament in Galma would be interesting, or how about this: they open with a kitchen scene then the camera changes focus onto a little bug crawling along the floor. Suddenly, a pin sticks into it and we see Eustace calling out to Alberta and Harold to come see it and have him know all about its genus and exclaiming his admiration of it as he adds it to his bug collection. That sure would be shocking! And a good introduction to Eustace and his family.

Psalm 37:25 "I have been young, and now am old; yet have I not seen the righteous forsaken, nor his seed begging bread."

Posted : June 7, 2010 5:02 pm
DamselJillPole
(@damseljillpole)
NarniaWeb Fanatic

That would be a very shocking opening Brylowman ;) I like the idea of Eustace being shown pining a bug to a card. But I'd like it better if Eustace didn't go with Alberta and Harold to meet up with his cousins at the station and after they show Alberta and Harold leave with Edmund and Lucy it could cut to a scene with a beetle on the wall and a pin suddenly went through it and that's how we meet Eustace instead of at the beginning.
I would love it if the movie opened up in Narnia like in PC, but with an attack from the Terebinthia pirates at an unknown place where people had disappeared, practically Gaels home and show her meet Caspian and the crew, then go to the earth scenes. I think this is more of a shocker. ;) :D

Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!

Posted : June 7, 2010 6:30 pm
Skilletdude
(@skilletdude)
Member Moderator Emeritus

I would prefer this film to start in our world. It would be nice to see the first glimpse of Narnia again from the flooding picture...not from an opening "shocker" scene. I think it would give the audience that initial excitement more effectively.

And if William Moseley does have a cameo, wouldn't we expect him to be part of an opening sequence? I'm guessing there will be a brief scene between the three of them talking about Susan in America and how jealous they are that they can't go as well. Peter would explain that he'll be busy with exams and school while the two of them are with their cousin. Then Harold and Alberta will come to take Edmund and Lucy to their home and Peter will say goodbye to them there.

Just a thought. But if I've learned anything so far, these movies don't tend to follow what you'd expect. We'll just have to see.

Mary Jane: You know, you're taller than you look.
Peter: I hunch.
Mary Jane: Don't.

Posted : June 8, 2010 10:02 am
Liberty Hoffman
(@liberty-hoffman)
NarniaWeb Master

I would prefer this film to start in our world. It would be nice to see the first glimpse of Narnia again from the flooding picture...not from an opening "shocker" scene. I think it would give the audience that initial excitement more effectively.

I agree! I hope it starts the way the book starts with Eusace.....but it would also be niv=ce to start with the Pevensies too!

NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ

Posted : June 8, 2010 10:08 am
MountainFireflower
(@mountainfireflower)
Member Moderator Emeritus

I agree with Liberty Hoffman, while it would be nice to start with Eustace, either way I don't really care.

I do wish there was some way to work in the opening sentence of the book - "There once was a boy named Eustace Clarence Scrubb, and he almost deserved it." (that was quoted from memory so I don't know how accurate it is.) I love that line! =))

av by dot

Posted : June 8, 2010 2:50 pm
RevelinginWonder
(@revelinginwonder)
NarniaWeb Regular

they open with a kitchen scene then the camera changes focus onto a little bug crawling along the floor. Suddenly, a pin sticks into it and we see Eustace calling out to Alberta and Harold to come see it and have him know all about its genus and exclaiming his admiration of it as he adds it to his bug collection. That sure would be shocking! And a good introduction to Eustace and his family.

I absolutely love that idea... that would be so funny. Comical and gripping at the same time. But perhaps it shouldn't be the very first opening scene... maybe just an introduction of Eustace.

I think a scene of epic proportions for a beginning would be wonderful... I have no real vision of what they will do though. It'll be interesting to find out!

Thank you to Djaq for the marvelous signature!

NWeb siblings: pogginfan and Windsong!

Posted : June 8, 2010 2:55 pm
AslanIsOnTheMove
(@aslanisonthemove)
NarniaWeb Nut

I agree with Liberty Hoffman, while it would be nice to start with Eustace, either way I don't really care.

I do wish there was some way to work in the opening sentence of the book - "There once was a boy named Eustace Clarence Scrubb, and he almost deserved it." (that was quoted from memory so I don't know how accurate it is.) I love that line! =))

This is not likely but what if it started with Eustace and Edmund arguing over something stupid, Eustace trying to boss Edmund around because it's his house. They are yelling and Edmund says something like "Eustace Clarence Scrubb you are such a pain. You almost deserve that name of yours!" Ed storms off into Lucy's room where they admire the painting.

I think someone else has mentioned this idea but I don't remember who or where so I won't actually take credit for it. If you don't like it you can blame me, though, as I am posting it here at this moment :)

Posted : June 8, 2010 4:43 pm
Aslans Country
(@aslans-country)
NarniaWeb Nut

I like the idea of Eustace being shown pining a bug to a card.

=)) I don't know why this idea makes me laugh so hard. :p Imagine if this was the very first scene.. like, him trying to catch the bug by trying to stick a pin into it.. yeah, I have a strange mind. ;)

I really hope it's not some big 'epic' thing.. luckily there isn't much room for this in VDT's opening.. I also want them to start in England. Both of the previous movies' openings were so unexpected.. :-s and I didn't like them that much.

Avie by flambeau.

"I'm there through your heartache, I'm there in the storm.. I don’t care where you've fallen, where you have been, I'll never forsake you, my love never ends, it never ends."
-Times, Tenth Avenue North

Posted : June 8, 2010 9:51 pm
daughter of the King
(@dot)
Princess Dot Moderator

Looks like I'm in the minority. I do not want a shocking opening. The first two had shocking openings and it really affected the overall pacing, especially PC. After that initial shock, the story slowed down and there was very little to hold the audience's attention for several minutes after the opening sequence. The audience's attention does not need to be grabbed instantaneously; it should be steadily drawn in. And I don't want the opening to be in Narnia. VDT needs more time in England to explain why the Pevensies are split up and where each one is. Eustace needs some time to establish his bratty nature before entering Narnia as well. That being said, I do like Brylowoman's idea of introducing Eustace by having him pin a bug; I don't think it would work as the opening, but it would work nicely for his character's introduction.

ahsokasig
Narniaweb sister to Pattertwig's Pal

Posted : June 9, 2010 8:25 am
Liberty Hoffman
(@liberty-hoffman)
NarniaWeb Master

you got the line right! I LOVE that line! =)) that would be awesome if they could get that line in the beginning of the movie! :D

NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ

Posted : June 9, 2010 10:20 am
ShastaTheSecond
(@shastathesecond)
NarniaWeb Regular

I like the idea of Eustace being shown pining a bug to a card.

=)) I don't know why this idea makes me laugh so hard. :p Imagine if this was the very first scene.. like, him trying to catch the bug by trying to stick a pin into it.. yeah, I have a strange mind. ;)

=)) I would be the person laughing in the theater the loudest.

Narnia forever!

Posted : June 9, 2010 12:25 pm
Shy Galadriel
(@shy-galadriel)
NarniaWeb Nut

I agree with you Daughter of the King... I didn't really care for the "shocker" openings. Unless they do a good job or something, I would prefer an introduction rather than a slap in the face. ;)
But at the same time the little bit with Eustace pinning a bug sounds like an interesting opening. I don't think it should be a bug, rather, make it a worm. Oh! And instead of pinning it, he would be putting it on a hook to go fishing with it!!! Yeah!
;)
There goes that (good) idea.

PS. for those who don't know, that's the opening of Return of the King :D .

I dreamt that I dwelt in marble halls

<3 As you wish <3

Posted : June 9, 2010 1:22 pm
beloved
(@beloved)
NarniaWeb Nut

With William's cameo I would expect it to start at a train station, Harold and Alberta brings a sulking Eustace along, Alberta in complete charge of the situation and Harold looking a bit like Eustace (thats what I always gathered since Alberta said Eustace had become "commonplace and tiresome") Peter will give the "youngsters" a good by hug, Ed will resist like he's always done, and Alberta will lead them off. Lucy will look back, as she always had done, and Peter will give her a kind of cute, good luck smile and a small wave as he walks briskly off to a car waiting for him.

And then Eustace forcing poor Lucy to look upon the newest insect he's collected (she's not to keen on insects Edmund says later on the Island of Voices)

"And this marvel of all marvels, that he called me Beloved, me who am but as a dog-" -Emeth

Posted : June 9, 2010 2:28 pm
Aravis Narnia
(@aravis-narnia)
NarniaWeb Nut

They definitely need a "hook"- an opening that will catch the audience's attention. Whether it needs to be as shocking as the LWW one- not necessarily. Just very eyecatching and alluring- perhaps with some action and fantasy, but not necessarily scary or startling.

Posted : June 10, 2010 1:29 am
Page 1 / 3
Share: