Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Ditto Town Holiday Mansion 2020

Page 4 / 14
ValiantArcher
(@valiantarcher)
BC Head and G&B Mod Moderator

Posted by: @Ryadian

"Well... it's usually just a social gathering, but the guests tend to provide their... own kind of entertainment."

Their own entertainment? Moira wondered exactly what that meant. She hoped she wouldn’t be called on to sing or recite a tale. She doubted her companion could be coaxed into indulging any such notion, especially as he’d stuck to his no-talking policy so far. She wondered if it would last the night, though – his constant shifting indicated he was either quite bored or getting there.

Moira directed her attention back to Faye in time to catch the introduction of their host, who was indeed the lady they had wondered about. She did wonder what Faye’s ideas of hospitality entailed, but she supposed one must expect different standards in different places.

“Thank you kindly,” Moira replied. “I feel much better prepared for the evening now.”

She spared a quick glance at the dog next to them, who had just been surrounded by several young girls. It didn’t look like either of them would be getting a chance to talk to her anytime soon. The bull snorted and nudged her in the shoulder. Well, if he wants to leave, he can – I don’t know how to cordially dismiss myself, nor did I come to go stand in the corner again, she thought. “How long have you run your general store?” she asked Faye, ignoring the second nudge as it came.

Death is swallowed up in victory.

Posted : December 20, 2020 5:08 pm
Arwenel
(@arin)
A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy? Hospitality Committee
Posted by: @mel

With the first exciting moments over, Mel remembered that Ian had been asking a question, and she turned back to bark a quick answer. "I know there's a gift exchange planned. If you want to be prepared, it's best to expect anything and everything. One year we had an informative talk on grape salads!"

Grape salads? Ian wondered. "Nice," he said aloud.

He bowed slightly to the girls, then turned to Mel. "My word, I had no idea there would be such fine ladies in attendance here, or I would have worn my fancy reindeer sweater! Mel, would you do me the kindness of introducing me?"

-----

Lauren grabbed something off the dessert table -- she hardly knew what -- as she looked around for a corner of the room that was less occupied. She wanted to make a good impression in this new community, more than good, which depended on her not blowing up in someone's face over something small. With her feet aching from walking in high heels, her worries about her gift for the exchange (and whatever ridiculous thing Ian had put in his), and Ian's comments getting under her skin, it wouldn't take much more to get her temper to flare up.

She glanced behind her, and saw Ian still chatting easily with the talking dog (!). Of course, Ian was making friends already. 

Lauren bit into the cookie she had grabbed: lemon, with a sweet frosting. She loved lemon cookies, but hadn't had a good one in months, not since she'd last visited her parents for Easter. Well, at least one thing was going right.

She decided not to leave the room -- it seemed quite big, after all -- and found an unoccupied chair that wasn't too close to anyone talking. Maybe a few minutes by herself, with her lemon cookie and hot cider, would be enough to improve her mood, and the evening could be salvaged.

Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it. - Rabbi Tarfon

Posted : December 20, 2020 5:34 pm
Zehya
(@zehya)
NarniaWeb Newbie

Meanwhile, elsewhere in Ditto Town...

Cosette was practically having a heart attack while venturing on her own, for the first time, to find the Mansion. 

She had seen the invitation to this holiday party slipped under her door and, fascinated at the sudden intrusion of such a festive letter, Cosette tip-toed as quickly and quietly as she could to reach her room upstairs. She had never seen such pretty mail like this at her house. She opened the letter only to realize it was an invitation to the Holiday Mansion Party! She had wanted to go so badly when her parents were living, but alas it could never be. Her grandparents would never allow her out on her own, especially with her condition.  However, an invitation actually arrived and she would not miss this chance!

Cosette looked through a couple of her desk drawers before finding what would become her white elephant present. She deftly wrapped it in newspaper, for she had quite the collection anyways since it was her looking glass to the outside world, and hid her gift within her coat.

The day came to make her trek to the Mansion.  She wanted to dress nicely and wore a ruffled cap sleeved blouse tucked into a muted baby blue knee length skirt that was adorned with similarly colored lace and ruffles.  To stay warm in the frigid weather Cosette wore a dark grey wool coat over top, the very same coat she tucked her gift in. To top off the look, Cosette fashioned some ribbons into her ringlet curls, her signature look.

After she was sure her grandparents had dozed off while sipping cider and reading in the parlor, Cosette made her way out the door and into the frigid weather all by herself. 

~

After some time of walking, Cosette had heard some festive music blasting from what she guessed was some type of loud car. 

"This must be the right direction," Cosette reasoned.

Cosette found her way up a nicely paved driveway and soon found the door to the spectacular Mansion. She paused for a moment, not sure what to do.  Should she knock? Were guests expected to walk in?  Well, she would be late at this rate, so Cosette decided to just walk in and apologize if necessary.

As she stepped in the door, Cosette was overwhelmed with the atmosphere.  It seems as if many guests have already arrived! Cosette thought to herself. Taking this in, and noting that many guests were busy chatting amongst themselves, Cosette resolved to go drop off her gift and lay her coat somewhere. 

While looking around, Cosette caught a glance of the table of presents.  She quietly made her way there and took the newspaper-covered gift and set it on the table next the the other gifts.  

Spoiler
Wrapped within layers of newspaper lies a handmade leather journal. It consists of about 150 blank pages. The front, spine, and back of the leather journal are adorned with a design hand worked into the leather.  It appears to be a pattern of trees and snowflakes.  

"Now what should I do?" Cosette asks, directing her questions to the air to her left.

"..."

"Hmmm," Cosette sighs, "you know what, grabbing a snack does sound marvelous!"

Posted : December 20, 2020 5:54 pm
Lady Arwen
(@wren)
The Mermod Moderator

Kaelin gave Mel's ears a tousle and smiled. 

"It's so good to see everyone again," she said, looking around at her little group. "I wonder what everyone's white elephant gifts are. I can't wait for everyone to open them."

She paused for a moment, seeing another young lady--perhaps her age or a bit older, lingering by the packages.

"Do you know her?" she asked, then, without waiting for an answer, cautiously walked over to the gifts table.

"Hello!" Kaelin said, extending her hand. "Did you just get to the party? I didn't see you before. I'm Kaelin."

Posted : December 20, 2020 6:30 pm
narnianerd
(@assistant-lord-of-the-little-ponies)
NarniaWeb Guru

Ainsley accidentally missed the grape and bit down hard onto her tongue. It was a good thing she did, as it prevented her from immediately firing back with a retort of her own. The few extra seconds that the bit of pain bought her granted Ainsley the time required to collect her thoughts.

"I don't know how much you think a beat cop makes in this podunk town, but it certainly ain't enough to cover our apartment on its own. The truth is, I do well enough for myself. But you are right about one thing; Jeff is a good man. I'm thankful to have him." 

~~

"Well, it's like my Pa always used to say. Life sucks and then you die." Jed replied with a shrug of his shoulders. 

"How about you, what are you doing these days?"

If you ain't first, you're last.

Posted : December 20, 2020 6:45 pm
Meltintalle
(@mel)
Member Moderator

"Of course!" said Mel. "That was Kaelin who just left to greet one of the new arrivals, and this is Grace and this is Emma, from the Baxter family. Their parents are over by the gift table."

It wasn't the most helpful of introductions, because there were several people by the gift table at the moment.

Mel wagged her tail, still grinning all over her furry face. "How have you been?" she asked Emma, though the question could end up being answered by anyone.

We have hands that fashion and heads that know,
But our hearts we lost - how long ago! -- G. K. Chesterton

Posted : December 20, 2020 7:01 pm
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

Emma's reply to Mel's question was a heartfelt hug for the big dog. "I'm good," she replied.  "So good to see you."

Grace followed suit and then glanced wistfully at Kaelin, who'd left to meet another person over by the gift table. But for the moment she'd stay close to her sister and Mel. There would be time to mingle later on.

But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.

Posted : December 20, 2020 9:55 pm
Arwenel
(@arin)
A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy? Hospitality Committee

Ian loved kids, though his only real experience with them was his cousins and Lauren's younger siblings. Hopefully the exaggerated act he put on for them would work with these girls, as well.

"Hello, Grace, Emma. I'm Ian." He looked between the two of them, then narrowed his eyes. "Now, hold on. Are you Grace -" he turned to one girl, "and are you Emma -" he turned to the other, "or are you Emma -" back to the first girl, " and you are Grace?" and back to the second. "I'm not sure I'm going to be able to tell you two apart. Hmm. What a puzzle."

He tapped his forehead thoughtfully. "I've got it! I'll just say Grace-and-Emma. Wait, no. What if there's just one of you nearby? I can't call just one of you Grace-and-Emma. Two names, for one person? Ridiculous. I'll just call you both ... Rose. There."

Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it. - Rabbi Tarfon

Posted : December 20, 2020 10:12 pm
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

Both girls giggled at Ian's antics. He'd managed to perfectly break the ice. "You're funny," Emma said, looking up shyly.

The older girl put a hand on the younger one's shoulder. "Sorry about that. I'm Grace, and this is my little sister Emma. You can call us Rose if you want, that's a pretty name."

But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.

Posted : December 20, 2020 10:20 pm
Ryadian
(@rya)
Member Moderator
Posted by: @valiantarcher

“Thank you kindly,” Moira replied. “I feel much better prepared for the evening now.”

"Don't mention it. It's always nice to see new faces around here." Though, of course, familiar faces were welcome as well. Faye looked up and noticed that the Baxters had arrived. Grace and Emma had, unsurprisingly, already left to talk to the other girls, so Faye waved to Dan and Angie. The two of them were likely to get caught up in conversation quickly, so she had to make her greeting now! Faye also noticed a young lady in a lovely dress that she didn't recognize, but Kaelin already had her attention, so she just gave her a friendly smile.

She turned back to Moira and added, "If you'd like, I could introduce you to a few of the people around here that I know."

N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren

Posted : December 22, 2020 1:28 pm
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

"Oh look, there's Faye," Angie said, waving back to her friend.  "Let's go say hi."

Dan had already snagged some cookies and eggnog, and after a glance at their children, he followed her over.

"Hello, Faye," Angie said.  "Who's your friend?"

And Dan was dying to learn more about a bull at the holiday party.

Posted : December 22, 2020 5:13 pm
Ryadian
(@rya)
Member Moderator

"Angie, this is Moira. She's a visitor to town." Faye decided to let Moira say more if she was so inclined. "Moira, this is Dan and Angie Baxter. They're something of fixtures around Ditto Town."

She turned back to the Baxters and added, "It's good to see you and the girls again. I can't believe they're growing up so fast!"

N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren

Posted : December 22, 2020 5:36 pm
Arwenel
(@arin)

"Rose is a pretty name, but not quite as pretty as Grace and Emma," Ian said. "So I'll just have to figure out a way to tell you two apart. Maybe you two could help me with something. My friend Lauren and I just moved here, and I was wondering: are there any good sledding hills around? It's not particularly snowy yet, but I have a lot of powdered sugar that I could use if we don't get any." 

Posted : December 22, 2020 6:22 pm
ValiantArcher
(@valiantarcher)
BC Head and G&B Mod Moderator

Posted by: @Ryadian

"If you'd like, I could introduce you to a few of the people around here that I know."

"I would like that very much, thank you," Moira said with a broad smile. The couple Faye had waved out came over, and Faye introduced them.

"Angie, this is Moira. She's a visitor to town. Moira, this is Dan and Angie Baxter. They're something of fixtures around Ditto Town."

"I'm very pleased to meet you," she said. Behind her, the bull had stopped his headbutts and now seemed intrigued by the treats Dan Baxter had in his hand.

Death is swallowed up in victory.

Posted : December 22, 2020 7:44 pm
Zehya
(@zehya)
NarniaWeb Newbie
Posted by: @wren

"Hello!" Kaelin said, extending her hand. "Did you just get to the party? I didn't see you before. I'm Kaelin."

Cosette turns to the girl who has just come to greet her. "Oh! Yes I did," Cosette said, pleasantly surprised and reached out to shake Kaelin's hand. "Hello Kaelin, my name is Cosette. Pleased to meet you," Cosette says with a smile. "This is my first time coming. I hope we can be friends." Cosette lightly chuckes from embarrassment. 

Posted : December 22, 2020 9:44 pm
Page 4 / 14
Share: