Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Ditto Town Holiday Mansion 2020

Page 2 / 14
Arwenel
(@arin)
A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy? Hospitality Committee

Ian's eyes lit up at Junior's story. "That sounds incredible. If I ever make it to the Adirondacks at Christmas, I'll have to keep an eye out for that." He caught sight of Lauren, and held up the cider he'd gotten for her. She started walking in his direction. "My friend Lauren and I just moved here, actually. We used to live in Memphis, but the guy we worked for suddenly, ah, stopped being in a position where he could pay people, so we decided to find someplace quiet, while we figure out what's next."

Lauren took the proffered mug, and gave Ian a pointed look. "Which is a very nice way of telling people we're unemployed." The people I wanted to make a good impression on, Ian, her expression added.

Ian winced. "Uh, kinda." Deciding it was best to change the conversation as quickly as possible, he pointed to Junior. "Lauren, this is Richard P. Gladstone Jr., known around here as Junior. Junior, this is my friend Lauren Winston."

Lauren nodded politely. If she had been going to say anything, she didn't say it before Maeve asked about the Adirondacks.

Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it. - Rabbi Tarfon

Posted : December 15, 2020 1:03 am
Delia Death
(@ms-death)
Ghost Wrangler Ditto Town Host

For all of our writers, new and old, and from near and far, a friendly reminder that Ditto Town exists in an alternate universe to our own--so landmarks you may know and love here do not exist there (nor do any characters, franchises, series, icons, chainstores, or particular stinkbugs--though we're not 100% sure about the last one).

Delia meandered out of the kitchen, a rather green cookie in one hand and smoking cider in the other. 

"Wooow, that new microwave, man," she said, grinning. "Looks like the party is already starting! I suppose I should find my gift and get it on the table."

Topic starter Posted : December 15, 2020 4:28 pm
Movie Aristotle
(@risto)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Junior turned to explain. “The Adirondacks is a wooded place north of here, although I’m not sure where it got the name from, come to think of it. It’s pretty in winter, but watch out for the stink bugs in the summer.”

Turning back to Ian he asked. “When you says Memphis, is that Memphis, North Plutonia or Memphis, Alagocia?”

This post was modified 3 years ago by Movie Aristotle

Movie Aristotle, AKA Risto

Posted : December 15, 2020 7:24 pm
Meltintalle
(@mel)
Member Moderator

Mel wrinkled her nose, sorting out the various scents. Delia's cider was strong, and close, and steaming hot. It smelled more like an applewood bonfire in high summer than Christmas; an impression helped along by the arrival of the young woman and the bull. Large animals made Mel think of hot days and bright sunshine. 

They also were very exciting. Mel had known sheepdogs that worked themselves up into a tizzy every time they met anything larger than themselves. She'd also learned that no matter how excited you were, it was impolite to rush at another guest. But her tail started wagging faster.

I hope they come over here, she thought. I really want to meet them and hear some stories!

Holding her position near the dessert table, she commented on the conversation taking place over her head. "Plutonia? I was there once, during avalanche season. It's a very pretty place when the landscape isn't shifting under your feet. A bunch of us rescue dogs went and visited the Charon ice caves on our day off."

We have hands that fashion and heads that know,
But our hearts we lost - how long ago! -- G. K. Chesterton

Posted : December 15, 2020 8:01 pm
ValiantArcher
(@valiantarcher)
BC Head and G&B Mod Moderator

"Wooow, that new microwave, man. Looks like the party is already starting! I suppose I should find my gift and get it on the table."

"Is that our host, do you suppose?" Moira nodded her head towards the woman who had just entered the hall. "Maybe we came too early and caught her off-guard."

The bull snorted. "She doesn't seem alarmed - and we arrived after the time on the invitation. If she is our host, she has a different idea of hospitality than you."

"It seems very forward to introduce ourselves, but the other guests appear to have done so - perhaps our host will think us rude for not greeting them!"

"I say you stop worrying about it; no one cares about a bull's manners. We should go over - no one else seems to be standing on ceremony and I spy another four-legged creature." The bull nudged Moira forward, and they crossed the hall towards the rest of the guests, arriving just in time to hear the St. Bernard make a remark about ice caves.

Death is swallowed up in victory.

Posted : December 15, 2020 8:48 pm
Delia Death
(@ms-death)

Delia pulled her surprisingly large box out of her pocket and placed it on the table. It was wrapped in a simple green paper and adorned with a black ribbon. 

"Now, how are you lovelies doing this evening?"

Spoiler
Delia's box includes a pomegranate, a sheaf of lavender, and a sheaf of grain. Why? I don't know. It just does.

Topic starter Posted : December 15, 2020 9:53 pm
Arwenel
(@arin)
A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy? Hospitality Committee
Posted by: @risto

Turning back to Ian he asked. “When you says Memphis, is that Memphis, North Plutonia or Memphis, Alagocia?”

"Memphis, Temsee actually," Lauren said. "Don't be surprised if you haven't heard of it, nobody has."

Ian made a soft sound of protest. "If nobody's heard of it, why do we get so many visitors every summer for Musicfest? Pretty sure some of them have mentioned it to other people, too."

Lauren rolled her eyes. "Okay, sure, some people. But fifteen hundred people coming for Musicfest isn't earth-shattering. Memphis, North Plutonia must get ten times that in tourist season."

"Well, you were the one paying attention in Geography, so I guess you'd know," Ian said cheerily. He took a gulp of cider.

Posted by: @mel

"Plutonia? I was there once, during avalanche season. It's a very pretty place when the landscape isn't shifting under your feet. A bunch of us rescue dogs went and visited the Charon ice caves on our day off."

Upon realizing the Saint Bernard had spoken, Lauren's eyes widened and Ian choked on his cider. Talking animals weren't unheard of in Temsee, but they'd never met one before.

Ian coughed a few times to clear his throat. "Ice caves?" he managed after a moment. "Sounds pretty."

Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it. - Rabbi Tarfon

Posted : December 16, 2020 12:03 am
narnianerd
(@assistant-lord-of-the-little-ponies)
NarniaWeb Guru

"Well, more often than not, quiet is the better option in my experience. Ain't that right, Ainsley?" Jeff replied.

Ainsley was preoccupied. She was currently tracking Miss Death with her eyes, following her as she crossed the room. She was so engrossed in this task that she had barely comprehended Jeff's question. 

"Wouldn't you agree, babe?" Jed asked again.

"Oh... Yeah. Quiet is good. Yup! I'll be right back." She replied cheerily. Then she set the box of doughnuts down on the nearby table and navigated her way through the ever-growing crowd. 

"Delia! How have you been?"

This post was modified 3 years ago 4 times by narnianerd

If you ain't first, you're last.

Posted : December 16, 2020 7:12 pm
Delia Death
(@ms-death)

"Not too busy," Delia replied cheerily, blowing smoke off the top of her drink and taking a sip. "Just, you know, working. Keeping an eye on wayward souls. That sort of thing. You?"

Topic starter Posted : December 16, 2020 7:59 pm
Meltintalle
(@mel)
Member Moderator
Posted by: @arwenel

Ian coughed a few times to clear his throat. "Ice caves?" he managed after a moment. "Sounds pretty."

"Have you ever seen pictures of what an iceberg looks like underwater?" asked the St. Bernard. "It's like that. Very quiet, too. I'm Mel, by the way, and I don't believe I caught your names. But it's very nice to meet you." 

We have hands that fashion and heads that know,
But our hearts we lost - how long ago! -- G. K. Chesterton

Posted : December 16, 2020 8:55 pm
Arwenel
(@arin)

Ian was still recovering, so Lauren answered. "They wouldn't be very quiet if Ian was visiting. He doesn't believe in silence."

"Lies and slander!" Ian said, throat finally clear. "Also, Lauren, remember you're badmouthing the guy who's known you since kindergarten, in front of him. I have some very interesting stories that I think Mel here would love --" He stopped as Lauren leveled a glare at him. "Wow. Are we in one of those ice caves now? I think the temperature just dropped thirty degrees."

Posted : December 17, 2020 4:15 am
Ryadian
(@rya)
Member Moderator

Faye found herself all-but panting for breath as she finally made it to the Mansion's front stairs. There had been an unusual number of holiday shoppers at her store this year, and her stock boy, Cody, was out of town this year to visit extended family. With both issues on her plate, she wasn't able to close as early as she would have liked. She'd just have to hope the inevitable shenanigans hadn't started yet.

She couldn't help but notice the limousine parked nearby, absolutely bedecked in lights. She shook her head. As if she should've expected anything less.

As Faye stepped inside, she saw that the party seemed to be... surprisingly normal. Well, as "normal" as a Ditto Town party ever was. Of course, there was Mel, Junior (that explained the car), Officer Evans, and a host of familiar faces... as well as some unfamiliar ones. But the one that really grabbed her attention was the bull. Well... after all, there was a talking St. Bernard and feisty squirrel frequently in attendance here, a bull should hardly surprise her.

Faye deposited her gift at the table, and walked over to the large group. She smiled brightly. "Oh, don't mind me. I just wanted to say hello."

Spoiler
Green box with a red bow
A spiral-bound notebook with a sturdy cover, and a black and gold ballpoint pen

N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren

Posted : December 17, 2020 7:05 pm
ValiantArcher
(@valiantarcher)

Moira stood at the edge of the group listening to bits of conversation and trying to figure out how to introduce herself. She had never had to before, since she had just recently begun traveling and her mother or sisters had done introductions to the few visitors they'd had. Was the polite thing to wait until someone directed a comment to her, or to interject into the conversation when she had something relevant to add?

She was still musing this over, and ignoring the bull's slight huffing in her ear, when her attention was attracted by a women entering the Mansion. The woman made her way over to the group after dropping her package at the gift table.

"Oh, don't mind me. I just wanted to say hello."

The woman looked friendly, so Moira screwed up her courage and gave her a smile back. "Good evening. My name is Moira. Was your journey long to get here? I hope it was a pleasant one."

Posted : December 17, 2020 7:32 pm
Ryadian
(@rya)
Member Moderator

"Oh, not long. I run the general store, which is only a few blocks from here." Faye blushed and admitted, "I was just... running a bit late, today. As you might imagine, it's a busy time of year for me! But, it sounds like you're visiting? In that case, welcome to Ditto Town! Where are you from?"

N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren

Posted : December 17, 2020 8:01 pm
ValiantArcher
(@valiantarcher)

"We were delayed as well in our arrival and without such a reason as you have! Running a general store sounds like a great responsibility," Moira said to the friendly woman. "But forgive me; to answer your question, I am from a little place, Kinnelmore - you wouldn't have heard of it, it's far from here. We were actually just passing through when we were very kindly invited to attend tonight. Is this party an annual occurrence? Have you been before -" Moira faltered. "I'm sorry, I don't know your name."

Posted : December 17, 2020 8:37 pm
Page 2 / 14
Share: