Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Victorian London

Page 2 / 2
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

In 1900, automobiles were a new thing. But people still a lot of walking and talking. Yes, there was no such thing as processed foods. Though people did smoke and drink (Sherlock Holmes did, and Uncle Andrew would be asking for a wine or a brandy).

Now back on topic, what about the children during that time, especially for Digory and Polly? It makes you wonder what kind of outfit they would have worn.

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 15, 2023 3:14 pm
Eustace
(@eustace)
NarniaWeb Junkie

As for the fact that Digory was an old looking man, I think that really depends on genetics, I would use my father and his brother for an example. My uncle had a bald spot before he was 60 and his hair was all white, (if I did not know better, I would of thought he was the older one). My father on the other hand who is older than him even at 70 still has some black hair still and is moving towards gray hair but has the same amount of hair he has since his 30s. 

As for who Digory Kirke as the professor is based on, quite a few people think he based Professor Digory Kirke on his tutor, ''the Great Knock'', William Kirkpatrick. If this is true, We can use an image I provided of him to take in mind what people would have been wearing and what he looked like at 71. He died at 72 years of age. He was 66-68 when he tutored Lewis. Frankly, I think Digory's clothes should be based on what C.S. Lewis wore as a 12 year old in the 1900s. I would definitely take my inspiration from ''The Reluctant Convert'' movie. I fully suspect that even if Lewis got years wrong, he was talking about Digory wearing clothes similar to the clothes he would have worn as a child.

This post was modified 11 months ago 4 times by Eustace

Redeemed-Cousins-1
Homeschoolers taking over the World!
Member of RD's club.
VP of the CWM club
Dragon fan club
I Support Scrubb!

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 24, 2023 2:09 am
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

I wonder if children wore hats at that time.  I remember wearing a hat to church (boys and girls did that in the early 1960’s).  Now it seems so stuffy and formal and people do not wear suits very much anymore and not even to church. In Victorian England and here in America people did not care that much if they were comfortable.  Actually, I don’t know how they endured it in hot weather. But in the time of Charles Dickens or The Magician’s Nephew people probably would not have complained about wearing too much clothing because that would not have been socially acceptable. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 24, 2023 8:30 am
Cobalt Jade
(@cobalt-jade)
NarniaWeb Nut

Europe was cooler overall then. It was coming out of a period called "The Little Ice Age." Even in the 1960s, London in the summer still necessitated wearing a coat or jacket most times. I was there.  🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 24, 2023 12:08 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share: