Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Lady of the Green Kirtle

Page 10 / 12
StarAsterisk
(@starasterisk)
NarniaWeb Nut

The Lady Arwen Undómiel: Nice! I especialy LOVE the horse! The outfit is quite good, and yes I imagine her with red hair, but with a different face. kinda a pionty face, you know?

signature by Beginte

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 16, 2011 4:13 am
Group Hug
(@group-hug)
NarniaWeb Newbie

I have to agree with Warrior 4 Jesus on the dress covering the neck while the drawing is very good and beautiful as it is, it looks alittle bit stuffy, conservative, and to modest for LOTGK to wear. As her name implies Lady of the Green Kirtle she would be femine. You can show deception and slyness in a dress while still making it femine.

Lady Arwen Undomiel your first drawing is very amazing and beautiful. it embodies LOTGK.

Maybe we're incorretly labeled :S
"It's what you do with the time thats given to you." -Gandalf

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 25, 2011 7:39 am
puddleglum32
(@puddleglum32)
NarniaWeb Nut

I agree with you "group hug."

Founder of the Switchfoot Club.
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club! Check it out on the Talk About Narnia forum!

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 25, 2011 11:33 am
Lu_valient
(@lu_valient)
NarniaWeb Nut

By "Green Kirtle" Lewis was probably talking about what LOTGK was wearing

made by katherine

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 27, 2011 2:12 am
Anfinwen
(@anfinwen)
NarniaWeb Nut

Thanks so very much everyone for the encouraging comments!

I imagine her with red hair, but with a different face. kinda a pionty face, you know?

Profiles are a thorn in my side. I don't think I have ever got one quite right.

To every one who thinks (and I agree) that the LotGK would be less covered, I was considering that there was probably snow on the ground. Even witches get cold sometimes. I did intend for the fabric on the neck and sleeves to be sheer, only it isn't very apparent. The sleeves and neck are supposed to imply that more sensual side with out being immodest.

Screen-Shot-2018-10-13-at-1-35-56-PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 2, 2011 4:57 am
puddleglum32
(@puddleglum32)
NarniaWeb Nut

I think her dress is green.

Founder of the Switchfoot Club.
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club! Check it out on the Talk About Narnia forum!

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 2, 2011 10:28 am
ValiantArcher
(@valiantarcher)
BC Head and G&B Mod Moderator

Bumping this up again since there's been some recent discussion of the Lady of the Green Kirtle's dress during the Maying/when she enchants Rilian. :)

I don't have any great ideas, but I just glanced through this thread and a couple of things struck me that I thought I'd share in case anyone else wanted to bounce off of them:
a) Adeona had suggested a kind of Celtic feel to her costumes, which I thought was rather interesting.
b) Several people suggested a gradient colour scheme, usually ranging from a light or pale green at the beginning to a dark green or brown at the end.
c) Someone also suggested the idea of LotGK's final costume silhouette changing throughout the final scenes; starting out in a more flowing or pouffy manner and then narrowing in until she transformed into a snake. I'm not sure how that would exactly look, but it sounds kind of cool. ;))

Death is swallowed up in victory.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 5, 2013 12:24 pm
starkat
(@starkat)
Member Moderator

Celtic feel sounds great for a style. I do like the basic cut of Kellerman's outfit in the BBC version, but a progression of materials would be nice. Something soft, summery, and almost flirty for the scenes where Rilian is meeting her. Probably something in an almost spring green color.

Then progress to something a little deeper in color and maybe something actually done in a riding costume instead of a full on dress for the scene where she meets the children out on the trail. The seasons will have changed and it will be a better fit than a lady riding side saddle in a dress. The material would have to be sturdier for that.

For the underground "at home" scenes, something heavy in the material department so that it hangs much more severely on her figure. Probably something with sharp edges and a much deeper, forest green. Maybe with some kind of electric (almost) grass green accessories. Or something to compliment the serpent she turns into for accessory coloring. Make sure the accessories are entirely sharp and hard angles here as she is "at home" and doesn't necessarily have to hide her true character in her own realm.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 5, 2013 12:30 pm
Louloudi the Centaur
(@louloudi-the-centaur)
Member Hospitality Committee

That is an absolutely gorgeous picture! I love it!

I like how you made her have red hair. I've always thought that the Lady of the Green Kirtle should have red hair. It really brings out the green dress.

Keep up the great work!

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 5, 2013 2:27 pm
waggawerewolf27
(@waggawerewolf27)
Member Hospitality Committee

By "Green Kirtle" Lewis was probably talking about what LOTGK was wearing

Yes, a kirtle is something like a tunic or overskirt over a blouse or underskirt, something like an Austrian or German dirndl with an attached bodice. I've seen several green kirtles, including Barbara Kellerman as LOTGK, on google images, when I did a search for green kirtles, though I prefer the longer, plainer and darker ones myself.

A Celtic look is quite a good idea due to the sorts of snakey, swirling Celtic designs one sees in Scotland on jewellery, on Celtic crosses and inscription etc. Maybe, that might be the pattern, if any, on either her kirtle or her underskirt. I'd say that the LOTGK did not have really bright hair. More of a russet shade or maybe her hair might be bound into one of those Medieval headdresses that go under the chin so that nobody sees what colour hair she has. Barbara Kellerman did look marvellous in her LOTGK costume, but I think that the outfit the Lady of the Green Kirtle should be coloured olive, forest or leaf green, shining like poison, maybe, when she wants to be seen, but which would allow her to blend in with the foliage for fast getaways.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 6, 2013 1:14 am
Meltintalle
(@mel)
Member Moderator

I spotted this gown in a collection of Scarlet O'Hara inspired dresses, but it does look fit for an underground queen, doesn't it?

drawing of the same

We have hands that fashion and heads that know,
But our hearts we lost - how long ago! -- G. K. Chesterton

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 2, 2013 5:17 am
ValiantArcher
(@valiantarcher)
BC Head and G&B Mod Moderator

Oooh, that's beautiful, Mel! I could see a modified version of that for the LotGK! I'm not overly sure on the velvet for her---it seems too heavy and un-snakelike. Any thoughts, anyone? :)

Death is swallowed up in victory.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 7, 2013 2:53 pm
Meltintalle
(@mel)
Member Moderator

Velvet can be thick and unwieldy, but I'm sort of fond of the idea of it since she does live underground. What if it were embossed velvet?

I'm pretty sure this is part of a rose design, but it kind of looks like snakeskin too. I love the idea of a design that looks like something else until you look close.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 3, 2014 8:11 am
The Rose-Tree Dryad
(@rose)
Secret Garden Agent Moderator

Wow, that Scarlet O'Hara-inspired dress really does look like something the Queen of Underland would be wearing in her final scene.

I love the idea of embossed velvet; just a shimmering hint of a design, but you can't tell that it's the pattern of a snakeskin until right before she turns into a serpent. If I remember correctly, her dress actually morphs into her body, so that would work quite well. Hmm, I don't know how well velvet would work, though, from a transitional standpoint, because snakes certainly aren't soft. :-? Maybe a smoother embossed fabric would be better?

I'm hopeful that the LotGK will wear three different dresses in The Silver Chair film. One for the flashback (if there is one), one for when she meets the questers at the giant bridge, and one for the scene in Underland.

I'd love for the flashback dress to look very simple and sweet, maybe in a light, soft shade of green. (Don't want people to immediately associate her with the poison-green serpent.) Wish I could find a picture of the look that I'm thinking of! Probably an empire waist with a fluid, flowing skirt, since a kirtle is supposed to be a loose-fitting dress. I'd love to see a lot of Grecian flair in the design. (She is, after all, somewhat inspired by Lamia from Greek mythology.) The dress could possibly include a sheer, flowing overlay that is evocative of a shedding skin as well.

Not really sure about the dress that she would wear when she's out riding, though it needs to be "scrumptious," as Jill said. I'm wondering if it should also be paired with a beautiful cloak, since it would probably fit the weather/terrain.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 3, 2014 9:33 am
Meltintalle
(@mel)
Member Moderator

Maybe a smoother embossed fabric would be better?

Well, maybe, but then it wouldn't be embossed. Embossing crushes the pile of the velvet--you know how it feels smooth one way and then you can rub it the other way?--and I don't think there's anything else quite like it. There are different methods of dying fabrics that could give you the uneven snakeskin-type patterning... Or cut-work...that's often floral and it can be quite light and airy.

Maybe we're barking up the wrong tree with the light, flowing stuff. After all, snakeskin isn't all that flexible. What if her design was more stiff and starched and almost angular (similar to how the White Witch had very sculptured dresses)?

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 10, 2014 9:34 am
Page 10 / 12
Share: