Notifications
Clear all

Who should play Jadis, the White Witch?  

Page 3 / 3
  RSS
Cleander
(@the-mad-poet)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Not really familiar with Katie McGrath's acting, actually, but I think that if she can truly bring complexity to the character, she's worth trying out.
I think Jadis is slightly more deep than the standard wicked witch in children's stories, given her background. One has to question if she started out entirely evil, considering that (at least according to her) her sister's violation of their wartime agreements drove her to mass murder. (Then again, I suppose you could argue she held back only because she still wanted the people around as slave material. But even so, it looks like she had some kind of conflicting motives going on.)
Also, her near-embarrassment at the mocking obeisance given to her by the crowds in London shows us a glimpse of an almost human side in her. To me that was a moment that I never would have seen coming.

PM me to join the Search for the Seven Swords!
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club! Find it on the Talk About Narnia Forum!

signature by aileth

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 16, 2020 2:35 pm
JFG II
(@jfg-ii)
NarniaWeb Regular

Also, her near-embarrassment at the mocking obeisance given to her by the crowds in London shows us a glimpse of an almost human side in her. To me that was a moment that I never would have seen coming.

I agree. If Netflix adapts MN before LWW, I think it would be very powerful storytelling to go in a more obvious, humanly-evil direction with the witch, to an extent Lewis does in the book.

Jadis is more human and vulnerable in MN than in LWW, but that’s before she eats the apple. After that, she goes the way of Palpatine & Voldemort: from human-looking to all snow-white & scary-looking. ;)

(Hopefully Netflix doesn’t resurrect Jadis in the finale like Palpatine. ;) My Old Man’s not convinced that Voldemort is dead either.)

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 17, 2020 6:15 am
Page 3 / 3
Share: