Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Who should play Jadis, the White Witch?

Page 4 / 5
Anfinwen
(@anfinwen)
NarniaWeb Nut

Hello all! I've been absent a while but just started browsing the forum again today. I love the look and height of Elizabeth Debicki. As far as age goes for Jadis in MN, isn't she referred to twice in London as either a young person or young woman? I feel that Jadis in that book is much more fresh and fiery. So I'd be ok with a young actress who could be matured up a bit for LWW. 

Screen-Shot-2018-10-13-at-1-35-56-PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 23, 2021 3:20 am
LostinEarth
(@lostinearth)
NarniaWeb Newbie

I recently watched a movie and Rosamund Pike was in it. After watching a friend told me they thought she was terrifying. (haha) I think she does have a scary quality to her. She's beautiful and scary. That just seems like the white witch. She may not be super tall, but she looks quite tall so I think she would be a great white witch. 

oh and I do think Elizabeth Debicki would be good, but shes about to play Diana in the crown so Netflix might not cast her

This post was modified 3 years ago by LostinEarth

“If we find ourselves with a desire that nothing in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that we were made for another world.”
- a Narnian lost in earth

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 3, 2021 1:14 pm
The Rose-Tree Dryad
(@rose)
Secret Garden Agent Moderator

Belated, but it's great to see you back on the forum, @Anfinwen! Wave And that's a good point about Jadis being referred to as a young woman in The Magician's Nephew. Obviously that sort of thing is relative depending on who is doing the talking, but it makes sense that she would at least seem youthful (or unnaturally youthful, post forbidden apple).

I don't know if this is the movie you saw, @LostinEarth, but I follow Netflix accounts on Twitter (hashtag news poster life Giggle ) and I saw a tweet with the trailer of a movie Rosamund Pike was in recently called I Care A Lot I won't link it because there's strong language, but at the end she does this insane yell of crazed rage. When I saw that bit I remember thinking yep, I could totally picture her as Jadis. LOL

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 6, 2021 9:33 pm
The Scribbler
(@scrib)
NarniaWeb Regular

I feel like I saw the name Katie MacGrath on here but I couldn’t find it, so I’m sorry if this is a repeat. I only just watched a little bit of Merlin last night, and her aesthetic at least seems so classic Jadis! I haven’t seen enough of her acting to be sold... Can anyone attest to her abilities? 

This post was modified 3 years ago by The Scribbler

"Hello there!" - Obi Wan
aafouch.blogspot.com
Copywriter, Academic Writing, Fiction, Children's Literature

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 7, 2021 10:11 am
LostinEarth
(@lostinearth)
NarniaWeb Newbie

@rose Thats actually the movie I saw her in that made me think she would be a great Jadis! 

“If we find ourselves with a desire that nothing in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that we were made for another world.”
- a Narnian lost in earth

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 29, 2021 4:43 pm
Son of Eve
(@son-of-eve)
NarniaWeb Newbie

Personally, I'd love to see Gemma Chan as Jadis. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 9, 2021 3:11 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

Emma Stone, who recently played Cruella. She would be fitting as the White Witch.

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 9, 2021 3:37 pm
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

What about Michelle Dockery, who is only 7cm shorter than Tilda Swinton? She is slim, dark haired and pale skinned, does a wonderful job as a cold bossy sort of woman in Downton Abbey, and has a long history of great roles and awards for many of them.

No, she wouldn't be cheap, but I could imagine her in the role.

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 9, 2021 7:20 pm
icarus
(@icarus)
NarniaWeb Guru
Posted by: @icarus

How about Saoirse Ronan? (seen in the attached photo as Mary Queen of Scots in the movie of the same name)

Oddly enough, as well as it turning out that one of my suggestions for Mr Tumnus was a Greta Gerwig favourite (Timothee Chalamet) but it turns out my White Witch suggestion was also a two-time Greta Gerwig casting choice as well, in the form of Saoirse Ronan.

I think my pick was partly because I wanted to see a younger, fresh new take on the character, but at the glacial pace they are going with the production she'll be the perfect age by the time they start shooting.

Go and watch Mary Queen of Scots if you've got the time - she is plenty cold and stern in it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 26, 2022 5:10 pm
Son of Eve
(@son-of-eve)
NarniaWeb Newbie

Recently, after finishing the Wednesday Addams series on Netflix, it dawned on me what a great Jadis Gwendoline Christie would be. She's an incredibly talented actress all around, but especially on Wednesday they gave her this very classy cold look that just screamed Jadis! And she's certainly got the height. 

If not Christie, I was also thinking of Ruta Gedmintas. She played Serafina Pekkala on His Dark Materials, and did a really good job. I could imagine her playing Jadis. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 6, 2023 2:14 am
icarus liked
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

Obviously they will want to give Jadis the White Witch a different look than BBC and Walden. BBC got it about right with skin white as snow and red mouth. I thought Walden got creative when they had her hair frozen and slowly melting at the arrival of spring.

So how will she look? You could do her with black hair and have her hair frozen. Though it would be nice if she had actually white skin, maybe icy-blue eye shadow.

So who should play her? I'm kind of thinking Katie McGrath. She has played an enchantress, Morgana, in the series Merlin, so I think she would be fitting.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 27, 2023 10:41 am
KingNainofArchenland
(@king-nain)
NarniaWeb Regular

Tilda Swinton is now too old for the role.

The actress should be not more than 40, very tall, and unquestionably beautiful. I think Rebecca Ferguson is a great choice.

This post was modified 1 year ago by KingNainofArchenland
ReplyQuote
Posted : March 27, 2023 2:51 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru
Posted by: @coracle

Maybe she can be green-skinned in MN and then turn white for LWW. :P ;))

No way! [-x [-x [-x

We absolutely can't have Jadis linked with the other Green Witch (LOTGK). Here's our chance to get away from misplaced greenness (mist or otherwise).

You've said it! Certainly no Green Mist in MN, "Oh, the Green mist, it all came from Charn!" No no  

I imagine that Jadis would have somewhat pale skin and she turned white as snow after eating the silver apple.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 28, 2023 3:52 pm
KingNainofArchenland
(@king-nain)
NarniaWeb Regular

Some of the people suggested have faces that are too sweet-looking, like Saorise Ronan. Jadis is not subtle, in that sense. She literally turns people to stone, but I think implicit is that she can turn you to stone with a look, and should look severe and otherworldly from the get-go.

Since Jadis is younger in MN, Anya Taylor-Joy would be the perfect choice. She already looks imperious and scary, not to mention totally unique, at age 27, and is quite tall at 5' 8".

I'm Weird-Looking

This post was modified 1 year ago by KingNainofArchenland
ReplyQuote
Posted : March 29, 2023 3:55 am
PrinceRillianIX
(@rilianix)
NarniaWeb Regular

So, in terms of actresses for the role, I still think Elizabeth Debicki would be perfect

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 4, 2023 12:05 pm
Page 4 / 5
Share: