Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] With Nary a Humbug in Sight, A Christmas Book SF!

Menelve
(@menelve)
NarniaWeb Nut

"I am here to-night to warn you, that you have yet a chance and hope of escaping my fate. A chance and hope of my procuring, Ebenezer."
"You were always a good friend to me," said Scrooge. "Thankee!"
"You will be haunted," resumed the Ghost, "by Three Spirits."
Scrooge's countenance fell almost as low as the Ghost's had done.
"Is that the chance and hope you mentioned, Jacob?" he demanded in a faltering voice.
"It is."
"I-I think I'd rather not," said Scrooge.
"Without their visits," said the Ghost, "you cannot hope to shun the path I tread. Expect the first to-morrow. When the bell tolls One."
"Couldn't I take 'em all at once, and have it over, Jacob?" hinted Scrooge.
"Expect the second on the next night at the same hour. The third, upon the next night when the last stroke of Twelve has ceased to vibrate. Look to see me no more; and look that, for your own sake, you remember what has passed between us!"

- "A Christmas Carol"

Everyone is familiar with "A Christmas Carol". It's a staple of our Christmas tradition encouraging us to celebrate Christmas with the proper attitude and not be a Scrooge. But, it has a good application, even for books!

As we enter the Christmas season, it's time to look back, to the present and forward to all the seasonal books written especially for Christmas. Don't be a Scrooge. Lock away those humbugs where they can't escape and instead bring forth lively discussion.

Do you have a favorite book which features Christmas? My family always tends to pick some sort of book to read for Advent. Does yours? And if you just can't lock your humbugs away, what's got you turned off of Christmas themed books?

"Come in!" exclaimed the Ghost--"come in! and know me better, man!"
Scrooge entered timidly...
"I am the Ghost of Christmas Present," said the Spirit. "Look upon me!"

Merry Christmas to all! Let the discussion begin!

Writer's Nook: My Writing Blog

Topic starter Posted : December 16, 2012 5:16 pm
Shadowlander
(@shadowlander)
NarniaWeb Guru

On Christmas morning we usually read the appropriate passages in Luke concerning the Christmas story. Other than that the only other story I typically read around this time of year is one that's become something of an annual tradition of sorts. Maaaaaany years ago around Christmastime in the early to mid 80's, when I was an angsty pre-teen, my sister gave me her slightly aged copy of the Chronicles of Narnia. Not just any copy, mind you, but the American edition, which is slightly different than the original Brit version (some changed names, etc.). Plus it's in the right order! So usually sometime in the beginning to middle of December each year I read The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe, which itself concerns Christmas quite a bit ;)). This is the first year in many that I haven't really read it, largely because of lack of time, but when my daughter turns 2 next year I think she'll be old enough for a read-through. B-)

Kennel Keeper of Fenris Ulf

Posted : December 19, 2012 12:05 am
Share: