Share:
Notifications
Clear all

The Television Discussion Thread

Page 98 / 98
Ryadian
(@rya)
Member Moderator

So... my brother and I successfully lured my mom into watching The Mandalorian with us. 😉 (By "lured" her, I mean we were watching it when she happened to be in the room, and Baby Yoda is simply too cute to resist). We finally caught up with season 2. I'd (mostly) avoided major spoilers, but without knowing specifics, I'd gotten the impression that there were really mixed feelings about this season.

Maybe that set my expectations low enough, because I ended up liking it pretty much as much as I did the first season. In fact, I think I liked this season better, but I think that had way more to do with my state of mind while watching than the actual quality of the episodes.

I think what have the most mixed feelings about is kind of an unfair criticism (it's more worries about the show going forward), but it's still on my mind.

Spoiler
Spoilers, including for other Star Wars shows
Mainly, it was just the amount of time they spent on characters like Boba Fett and Ahsoka, basically giving them backdoor pilots for their own shows. I didn't object to any specific moments of this kind of fanservice, and I'm actually kind of looking forward to the Ahsoka show, but I hope it's a trend that doesn't continue too much in the future - The Mandalorian, I hope, has enough story to stand on its own. Maybe. Assuming the creative team isn't splitting their focus too much by having two spinoff shows....

I will fully admit to two moments of squealing in delight over the nerdiest things, both from episode 5:

Spoiler
1. Mando mentioned the "HK-87 assassin droids" - the first, to my knowledge, spoken reference to the Knights of the Old Republic games in the new "canon". I don't care that they acted nothing like HK-47 - I was too happy with the reference.

2. Ahsoka is looking for Grand Admiral Thrawn. Easily my favorite part of Star Wars Rebels. Implying he'll be the villain of her show, or that he'll at least show up. Admittedly, that's basically the entire reason I want to see the Ahsoka series.

N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 28, 2020 7:10 pm
Reepicheep775
(@reepicheep775)
NarniaWeb Junkie

I just finished WandaVision

Spoiler
WandaVision spoilers

...and I want to say that I loved it, but there's one significant scene that bugged me.

First, the positives. I loved how inventive and different this was for the MCU. I've never been a huge sitcom guy, but the overall concept of this show I thought was brilliant. I really liked the creepiness in the earlier episodes. I liked how this show wasn't afraid to basically throw out the superhero formula for most of the episodes. There's very little action and the tension is mostly kept up with intrigue and I thought that was very effective.

Now for the scene I didn't like. It's the scene where fake Vision gives white Vision his memories and "becomes" the "real" Vision. I actually liked the scene itself, with the reference to the Ship of Theseus, and I don't have any technical problems with it (i.e. Would adding memories to Vision's body actually restore him? Ehh... it's superhero fantasy, I'll go with it.). It's more the implication it has for the rest of the show. If Vision is really back, then the whole storyline of Wanda getting over her grief and denial is kind of... pointless? It also removes the human element. I know these stories are about fantastical super beings, but I would still like to relate to them on a human level. As a human, I can relate to grief and moving on. I can't relate to reconstructing my loved ones and bringing them back to life.

I'm not sure where this leaves me. I like basically the entire show except that one scene, but it kind of casts a shadow over the rest of it in retrospect. Apart from that, I think it would be one of my favourite MCU things and I guess it still is. To be fair, we don't know for sure that white Vision is going to be exactly the Vision that died in Endgame, so I guess we'll see.

This post was modified 3 years ago by Reepicheep775

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 29, 2021 12:06 pm
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

I also liked WandaVision a lot.

Spoiler
spoilers
I loved the spoofs/references to so many old sitcoms - many of which I'm old enough to remember seeing, like Dick Van Dyke, Bewitched, and The Brady Bunch, among lots of newer ones. I looked online for info about newer shows and found descriptions of the attention to detail here, such as matching sets and furniture from the source material.

Generally it was impressive visually for a TV show, including the final battle - though it was a bit disappointing to turn out to be simply a battle between witches.

You raise an interesting point, Reep, and I'm curious to see how they'll treat this in later shows.

But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 29, 2021 5:30 pm
The Old Maid
(@the-old-maid)
NarniaWeb Nut

Dear fans of EMERGENCY, one of those shows that quietly, inexorably, and blessedly changed the world:

Mantooth and Tighe have been busy. The documentary INTO THE UNKNOWN: A PARAMEDIC'S JOURNEY has hired the director of the documentary BURN. See link at https://intotheunknowndoc.com/

(Beware: there is a FROZEN documentary with a similar title. Include the word Paramedic if you lose the above address.)

This post was modified 2 years ago by The Old Maid

It's back! My humongous [technical term] study of What's behind "Left Behind" and random other stuff.

The Upper Room | Sponsor a child | Genealogy of Jesus | Same TOM of Toon Zone

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 18, 2022 9:28 am
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

I have been rewatching Twilight Zone since I now have a set of the complete episodes in the definitive edition.  The show had an amazing quality which is lacking in today’s television. It aired from 1959 - 1964 and its strength was in the acting and stories.  Some of the episodes I remember watching many years ago.  “Walking Distance” was always one of my favorites. I love the nostalgia of revisiting one’s youth from so many years ago.  Twilight Zone was a wonderful series which will always endure as a classic.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 19, 2022 8:36 pm
Kokoro Hane
(@kokoro-hane)
NarniaWeb Regular

So I've been watching a Filipino telesyre with my mom called "My Love From the Star" which is an adaption of a Korean drama of the same name. I have always wanted to see the K-Drama version (which I still plan to), but when I saw there was a telesyre version of it I was like "okay we're watching this one first!"

It's about an alien that crash landed on earth 300 years ago and has since been stuck there. Now in modern times, he finally finds a chance to go home when a comet is supposed to pass... that's 3 months away though. But his life soon gets intense when he meets a woman that looks like his love he met 300 years ago! Anyway, 7 episodes in so far, and it's a lot of fun! The series gets down right hilarious, but also very emotional too--especially with Matteo's flashbacks which slowly shows us more and more of what he went through back then, which has caused him to be the way he is now about not meddling. I'm really curious how this is gonna end!

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 8, 2022 7:21 pm
Narnian78 liked
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

@Narnian78, The Twilight Zone is one of my favorite TV series. A friend also has the definitive DVD series and we've watched through it, and are generally impressed with how good many of the episodes are (but by the fifth season, a few of the plots are recycled).

I'm old enough to remember when it originally aired, though my parents discouraged us from watching it since we were pretty young. I remember a few episodes from when they originally aired, like "The Midnight Sun." Definitely scary for a little kid in the early 1960s!

Bill Mumy (of Lost in Space fame) appears in several episodes, and I quite enjoyed listening to his commentary on them. One of them, "It's a Good Life" (in which he plays a kid who "sends people  to the cornfield" if they displease him), had a sequel of sorts in one of the later TZ reboots. In it Mumy is an adult now and has a daughter with similar powers. It's noteworthy because his daughter is played by his real-life daughter, Liliana, who is a cute little girl who manages to have that same creepy expression on her face when she's about to send someone away. It's fun to see daughter and father acting together too.

But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 13, 2022 1:41 pm
Narnian78 liked
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

@stargazer 

I know of some people who dislike Lost in Space because of its campiness. But I think Bill Mumy’s acting was quite good in that series as it was in Twilight Zone. The campiness of the show was mainly because of Irwin Allen’s way of making science fiction. Twilight Zone was much better quality science fiction, and today it is remembered along with Star Trek as being among the best series of that time.  I won’t despise a TV show for being campy, but I have to say that Lost in Space was not the best quality when compared to the well crafted science fiction such as Star Trek, which had far better stories and greater depth and intelligence.  I guess some episodes of the series were worth watching for entertainment, but they weren’t much more than that.  I kind of enjoyed some of the first season episodes since they were less campy than than those of the other two seasons.  But Star Trek was far better quality and much more thoughtful in its stories.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 14, 2022 6:46 am
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

@Narnian78, I agree with your  remarks in the post above.

I remember seeing a few episodes of both Star Trek and Lost in Space when they first aired back in the '60s, but it wasn't until Star Trek went into syndication in the 1970s that I saw them all. I'm not sure I've seen all of the Lost in Space episodes even now.

In the US, there's a channel (MeTV) that has a programming bloc called "Sci Fi Saturday Night" that includes both Star Trek and Lost in Space (along with some other shows I'll mention in a moment). Each series is aired in episode order, and they started anew with Lost in Space recently, so I've tried to watch them from the beginning. The series premiere was, I thought, pretty entertaining. The campiness comes later. Doctor Smith is actually kind of a sinister character who sabotages the robot on the Jupiter 2 before launch. Sadly, it didn't take too long for him to become the whining buffoon he's remembered being (though, kudos to Jonathan Harris for acting like that).

There are other Irwin Allen shows in that bloc: Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea (which I also saw some of as a child; I didn't really remember its campiness - lots of bug-eyed monsters under the ocean - that I notice now); Land of the Giants and Time Tunnel. They're all fun to watch in the very wee hours of a Sunday morning should I have insomnia. 😉

The bloc starts off with Svengoolie - a show in a similar vein to Mystery Science Theater 3000 except that he doesn't riff the movies as they play, but offers his comments (including casting comments and a clever, unique song pertaining to each movie) during commercial breaks. Most of the time, he plays movies from the classic Universal monster collections of the 1930s-1950s with some newer movies thrown in.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 14, 2022 5:43 pm
Narnian78 liked
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

The more educational shows such as Voyagers will sometimes get cancelled.  It lasted for only twenty episodes, but it did well with the critics, and today still has many fans.  The time travel stories were much better than The Time Tunnel, which also lasted for only one season. There were also historical stories on the old classic Dr. Who, which were very entertaining, and most of them were well done.  Actually, Voyagers might have lasted longer on PBS if it had aired on that network instead of on NBC.   Educational shows do not make a whole lot of money for commercial networks, however good they may be.  The original Star Trek struggled to stay on the air for three seasons.  Its audience was mainly educated people, and the NBC network thought that the first pilot was “too cerebral”.   But the show was given another chance, which was very fortunate.  Thank goodness that PBS still offers intelligent shows for its audience.  🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 15, 2022 10:37 pm
Kokoro Hane
(@kokoro-hane)
NarniaWeb Regular

Finished Season 4 of Cobra Kai and man was this season an intense ride! Action scenes were great, the emotional bits brought tears to my eyes, some of the teenage drama was frustrating but that aside, a great season! I am really hyped for Season 5 because the way this season ended.... just wow. How dare they leave us hanging lol. Gotta wait 'till December, I think, is when the next season is. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 25, 2022 6:02 pm
Reepicheep775
(@reepicheep775)
NarniaWeb Junkie

About a year ago I watched Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles for the first time and I had quite the experience with it. I've watched through it two more times since then. I considered posting this in the Vintage Television thread because this show has been off the air for quite some time, but I thought a show from 2008-09 might be pushing the label "vintage" too far.

During the COVID pandemic, I was re-watching a bunch of movies I saw when I was younger but haven't seen in a long time. Many of them were better than I remembered, but the first two Terminator movies stood out. I remembered them as fun sci-fi action movies with classic Arnold Schwarzenegger one-liners, but didn't think much more of them. Watching them now was a completely different experience, and I know count them among my favourite movies. They just hit me in the right time and place. I was feeling concerned about artificial intelligence and the loss of our humanity in the machinery and algorithms of the modern world, and what once felt like a crazy sci fi premise when I was young suddenly felt poignantly relevant as an adult. They are much better movies than my memory gave them credit for.

So I decided to watch the other movies at long last. I always heard they weren't good past the second one, so I never really bothered, but now I was curious. I can confirm that the movies past T2 aren't worth watching (with the possible exception of Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines... it's at least a fun movie, but not as good as the first two). The Sarah Connor Chronicles blindsided me though. I remember this show being on when I was in high school and I remember people talking about it at the time, but I never gave it much thought.

It is one of the best TV shows I have ever seen. Terminator  has always been a mix of horror, action, and science fiction, but if The Terminator is predominantly horror and Terminator 2 is predominantly action, then The Sarah Connor Chronicles is predominantly science fiction. It takes the themes of man vs. machine, humanity, and moral choices of the films and takes it to some truly thought-provoking places. This show is very well written and feels almost literary. If I was still in high school, I could imagine writing about one of these episodes for English class. The nature of TV (e.g. a lower budget plus a longer overall run time) forced it out of the two-hour chase movie formula into something a lot more thoughtful and character-driven. Cameron, the main Terminator character, is probably the most fascinating fictional portrayal of a robot (fine, "cybernetic organism" 😉 ) I have ever seen. The only problem is it ended on a tantalizing cliff hanger and, fifteen years and several bad reboots later, it is highly unlikely to ever get resolved. 

Has anyone else seen it? It's strange because this is the first new thing (new to me) in a long time that I want to geek out over and discuss, but it seems like the world has largely moved on or forgotten about it. 

This post was modified 8 months ago by Reepicheep775

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 3, 2023 7:29 pm
icarus
(@icarus)
NarniaWeb Guru

I very much enjoyed the fact that the season finale for Star Wars: Ahsoka this week had the episode title of "The Jedi, the Witch, and the Warlord". 😀 

Not that the rest of the episode had any great Narnia parallels, but I still had a lot of fun with it,

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 6, 2023 11:52 am
Reepicheep775
(@reepicheep775)
NarniaWeb Junkie
Posted by: @icarus

I very much enjoyed the fact that the season finale for Star Wars: Ahsoka this week had the episode title of "The Jedi, the Witch, and the Warlord". 😀 

Not that the rest of the episode had any great Narnia parallels, but I still had a lot of fun with it,

I was grinning ear to ear when I saw the title card. 😊 

On a related note, Dave Filoni was also inspired by the Wood Between the Worlds when creating the World Between Worlds for Rebels before it appeared in Ahsoka.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 7, 2023 9:32 am
Ryadian and icarus liked
daughter of the King
(@dot)
Princess Dot Moderator

My brother and I both burst out laughing when we saw the title card because it was so unexpected. Giggle Very cool though. I admit we spent more time dissecting the statues at the end and wondering why it took the bird so long to show up. The title did make me wonder about Thrawn and the Nightsisters though. There was an offhand comment about how he "woke them up". You woke up the witches? Was there perchance a bell involved? Nerd Giggle  

ahsokasig
Narniaweb sister to Pattertwig's Pal

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 17, 2023 2:49 pm
Page 98 / 98
Share: