Share:
Notifications
Clear all

The shot is up...and its good! General Sports Discussion

Page 3 / 33
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

It was nearly 5 hours (4 pm to almost 9 pm) - my stomach insisted on receiving some of the attention I was giving to the game. ;))

But what a game! I would have loved being there, but the tickets went too fast. Right now I'm trying for home tickets for the ALDS this upcoming weekend.

The Twins were 7 games back a month ago, and down 3 with 4 left to play, but went 17-4 in their last 21 games. Hopefully they won't run out of gas in the playoffs.

Random note: outdoor baseball is wonderful when it's 70F and the sun is shining - but today it was about 43F with haze or drizzle. The dome has its quirks but it does prevent rainouts/snowouts. ;)

In other news, Brett Favre became the first quarterback to lead his team to victory over every NFL team with last night's victory over the Packers.[/trivia]

But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 6, 2009 5:07 pm
Sparky
(@sparky)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Some interesting games going on in college football this week.
Alabama at Ole Miss: The Rebels find out if they belong with the big boys. Ole Miss has looked really shaky this season. Jeavan Snead, who was widely considered one of the best quarterbacks in college football at the start of the season, has been very average. Fortuneately for Ole Miss, their defense has been very good. However, the Crimson Tide are, in my opinion, still the best team in the country. The Rebels will put up a fight, and it'll be a defensive struggle, but Alabama wins.
Georgia at Tenessee: Tenessee is in trouble right now, with their only two wins coming against Western Kentucky and Ohio. Georgia, meanwhile, is 3-2 and coming off a heart breaking loss to LSU. Tenessee has a great defense and home field advantage, but Georgia's got A.J. Greene and a capable qb, and I've got a gut feeling that says Georgia wins.
Florida at LSU: This game has been hyped up ever since the preseason, and with Tim Tebow's injury, the hype has only built up. It's still unclear whether or not Tebow will play, but even without him, Florida has plenty of weapons on offense and a very backup quarterback in John Brantley. Florida's defense will be stout as ever, and they shouldn't have too much trouble with LSU's sputtering offense(dead last in the SEC in total ofense). LSU's defense, however, will give the Gators plenty of problems, and LSU won't be short on motivation for this game. They're still smarting from that whipping Florida put on them last year. This will be another defensive battle, and it won't be pretty, but the Gators will find a way to win.

Mark my words, someday I will think of something brilliant to put in my sig.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 9, 2009 6:01 pm
FencerforJesus
(@fencerforjesus)
NarniaWeb Guru

Baseball playoffs are on. LA swept the Cardinals tonight and advance to the NLCS. The Phillies/Rockies Game 3 was delayed today for snow and will be made up tomorrow. That series is tied 1-1.

In the AL both Yankees and Angels are up 2-0 in thier series to be continued tomorrow.

In College FB, Tebow played tonight for Florida. They are currently up 13-3 on LSU in the 3rd quarter.

Be watching for the release of my spiritual warfare novel under a new title: "Call to Arms" by OakTara Publishing. A sequel (title TBD) will shortly follow.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 10, 2009 5:31 pm
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

In the MLB playoffs, sweeps appear to be the order of the day. The Dodgers, Yankees, and Angels all defeated their division series opponents 3 games to none. The exception is the Phillies-Rockies series, which is tied at 1 game apiece with game 3 currently tied in the 8th inning.

Meanwhile the NFL season is young but the Vikings remain one of the 5 undefeated teams after winning in St Louis Sunday.

But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 11, 2009 7:36 pm
FencerforJesus
(@fencerforjesus)
NarniaWeb Guru

Rockies lost in the 9th yesterday 6-5. They are down 2-1 in the series with Game 4 this afternoon. It sounds like both clubs are throwing thier best pitcher for this game to either keep it going or end it. And the worst part of it for me is that I'm going to miss the end of the game due to fencing practice.

I watched the spectacular game between the Broncos and the Patriots. Truly the best game of the year so far. Denver is also 5-0 after Orton put up another flawless game. He has only one pick* this year. And yes, that pick deserves and astrick because it was on a hail-mary pass to end the half. As good as Cutler, Romo, Brady, and the Mannings are talent-wise, the Broncos have a QB that is very intelligent and doesn't make mistakes. And with thier defense, still ranked #1 by a long shot, they just proved they are Super Bowl Contenders. I only see the Colts being a real threat to them right now in the AFC. Its going to be a fun year.

Be watching for the release of my spiritual warfare novel under a new title: "Call to Arms" by OakTara Publishing. A sequel (title TBD) will shortly follow.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 12, 2009 4:42 am
Sparky
(@sparky)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Okay, so the Broncos probably will win their division, but I wouldn't count out the Chargers just yet. They oftentimes wait until later in the season to get hot.

Some noteworthy games in college football:
Texas vs. Oklahoma. During the preseason, this was the game everyone was pointing to. Texas/Oklahoma is always a big game, but this time it was going to be a grudge match, a matchup between two top five teams with the winner likely going to the National Championship game. Now, Oklahoma has two losses and is just trying to avoid having to settle for the Cotton Bowl, and Texas has been solid, but hasn't really looked like NC contenders. I have a sneaking suspicion that Oklahoma sneaks out a win in a largely defensive battle, throwing the Big Twelve into chaos.
USC vs. Notre Dame. Been a while since the Irish have been lucky in this game. They should at least be able to keep it respectable this year, but USC's defense is going to be a problem for Jimmy Clausen. Can Notre Dame's defense match USC's offense? I think not. USC extends their win streak against the Irish.
Alabama vs. South Carolina. This game is more important to South Carolina than it is to Alabama. The Gamecocks are the only team in the SEC East that can still catch Florida; everyone else has at least two losses. The Tide have been rolling over everybody, and I'd say South Carolina will get the same treatment.

Mark my words, someday I will think of something brilliant to put in my sig.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 16, 2009 3:52 pm
FencerforJesus
(@fencerforjesus)
NarniaWeb Guru

Sorry to the Chargers fan but AFC West division race is already over. Denver just took San Diego to the shed for a whipping with yet another shut-down 2nd half performance. Denver is now up 3 1/2 games in the division with the head-to-head tie breaker, which really means 4 1/2 games right now. Denver remains one of four undefeated teams (two in each conference).

And is the Patriots 59-0 win due to a Pats revival or just a horrid Titan team? I'd say both. The Pats are going to be in the playoffs against, but everything in the AFC is going to come down to Denver and the Colts. And they have a head-to-head this season. I could see both teams being undefeated for that match-up.

Onto Baseball, Angels beat the Yanks today to pull within 2-1 in thier series. And the Phillies just beat the Dodgers to take a 3-1 lead in thier series. Current WS match-up prediction: Yanks vs Phils.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 19, 2009 6:14 pm
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

The Angels dodged elimination in the ALCS with a 7-6 victory, even though the Yankees had the bases loaded in the top of the 9th inning. But the Angels have their work cut out for them - they have to win twice in New York to prevent that Phillies - Yankees World Series Fencer mentions.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 22, 2009 5:36 pm
Horse_Lover
(@horse_lover)
NarniaWeb Nut

Okay, this is general sports, so, does anyone here like to play Ultamite Frisbee? I LOVE it! :D

Nweb twin to ValiantPrincess, and Nweb sis to elvenbug
Proud member of the 10th Avenue North club!

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 24, 2009 6:26 am
FencerforJesus
(@fencerforjesus)
NarniaWeb Guru

I don't play it as often as I'd like but I love Ultimate Frisbee as well. If I get hot, you want me on your team. I can actually take off downfield at the same time as the frisbee and beat it. I love being open have a frisbee coming my way and being able to back up along with it to maximize the distance of the throw. It's so fun, but we don't play it much in my neck of the woods.

I just had a fencing tournament today, taking 4th place out of 6. It was a small event that didn't count for anything other than bragging rights and I had three very close direct elimination bouts, winning 15-14, losing 12-15, and losing for 3rd place 13-15. It was fun, but definately not my best day. I wanted to be in Colorado Springs going at it against 160 some fencers at the Air Force Academy, but transporation logistics fell through for me. Maybe next time.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 24, 2009 9:57 am
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

I've played Ultimate Frisbee before, but bad knees have kept me away from the more strenuous sports.

The Phillies took Game 1 of the World Series in the Bronx last night, beating the Yankees 6-1. It was a shutout going into the bottom of the 9th inning, and the TV commentators pointed out that the Yankees had never been shut out in game 1 of a World Series - and this was their 40th Series. A rather impressive achievement.

In the NFL, this upcoming weekend marks Brett Favre's first return to Wisconsin after signing with arch-rival Minnesota. It'll be interesting to see the reception given him at Lambeau Field.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 29, 2009 8:34 am
Gymfan15
(@gymfan15)
NarniaWeb Podcaster Moderator Emeritus

Grrrr. For a second year in a row, I get a whole bunch of teams I like in the play-offs, and the two that I like the least are the ones that actually make it. Maybe next year, I should start rooting for the Phillies or the Yankees and see if this "jinks" works backwards. ;)

Spareoom.net

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 29, 2009 8:40 am
Narnian_Warrior
(@narnian_warrior)
NarniaWeb Regular

Grrrr. For a second year in a row, I get a whole bunch of teams I like in the play-offs, and the two that I like the least are the ones that actually make it. Maybe next year, I should start rooting for the Phillies or the Yankees and see if this "jinks" works backwards. ;)

Ugh, I can't stand the Yankees. They're like the patriots to me in the NFL. (I love the Panthers and really, really, despise the Patriots X( X( ) Who were you pulling for in the playoffs?

sig by MementoMorrie

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 30, 2009 11:51 am
Narnian_Warrior
(@narnian_warrior)
NarniaWeb Regular

Arrgh. Just watched Miami beat Wake Forest with a touchdown in the last minute. X(
Very frustrating. X( X( X( X( X(

sig by MementoMorrie

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 31, 2009 1:40 pm
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

...Who were you pulling for in the playoffs?

This inquiry wasn't directed to me, but my idea of fun Series would have been Colorado vs. the Twins. Sure, both were eliminated early, but those were my favorite teams among those making the playoffs and I would have enjoyed seeing them face off.

As it is, the Phillies now have to take 3 straight from New York, including 2 games in Yankee Stadium - while the Yankees just need one more victory. Still rooting for the Phillies. ;)

In the NFL, Brett Favre returned to vigorous "boos" from a sellout crowd at Lambeau Field yesterday. The Vikings jumped out to a big first-half lead but sputtered in the second half, though they still pulled out a 38-26 win over the Packers to improve to 7-1.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 2, 2009 6:35 am
Page 3 / 33
Share: