Share:
Notifications
Clear all

The Road Goes Ever On and On: Everything Tolkien - Book 2

Page 43 / 49
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

I started listening to the radio dramas of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. I believe that they were respectively made in 1979 and during the 1980’s. They were broadcast on the BBC and National Public Radio.  Bilbo was played by Ray Reinhardt and Frodo was acted by Ian Holm. I don’t know how many people here have listened to these dramas, but I would recommend them to any Tolkien fan.  If you want another alternative to Peter Jackson’s movies and like audiobooks, they are a different experience. I don’t see them as competing with Peter Jackson’s films, but rather as another interpretation. They have less technology, but for me they work at least as well.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 28, 2022 7:24 am
coracle and johobbit liked
johobbit
(@jo)
SO mod; WC captain Moderator
Posted by: @narnian78

Do you like the Tolkien calendars?

Yes! But more the calendars created by Tolkien artists—Ted Nasmith (whom I had the privilege of getting to know when the movies first released), John Howe, Alan Lee, etc—than those based on the movies ... although we have had our share of these in the past too. Giggle My brother started me on collecting Middle-earth calendars back in 1978 (Hildebrandt brothers), and there has rarely been a year when we have not had one hanging on our wall. Such beautiful and faithful artwork.

Jef Murray, who sadly died suddenly, far too young, 7 & 1/2 years ago, was a friend of mine, and painted many faithful depictions of the Narnia world. He also drew numerous Middle-earth scenes and characters, which are also of excellence. His wife, Lorraine, keeps his inimitable legacy alive.

I used to be on the leadership team for a Tolkien journal publication, now defunct, and strongly supported by Nasmith and Murray, to which we had superb artists submit their work—some names very well known; others not known at all, but equally as talented as the household names.

I did not have a chance to order the 2023 Tolkien calendar (various artists) before Christmas, but am ordering it this week. It looks like they are still in stock, hurrah! Smile  

Signature by Narnian_Badger, thanks! (2013)
7,237 posts from Forum 1.0

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 4, 2023 11:23 am
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

I have the 2023 Tolkien calendar and an old one from 1980.  I have also saved Star Trek and lighthouse calendars from a few years ago. The artwork and photography are so beautiful that I feel that I must keep at least a few of them. It would be nice if some new Narnia calendars were available too. The Tolkien calendars are much easier to find and you can even purchase old ones for under $20.  They are definitely worth getting for their beautiful artwork. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 4, 2023 1:10 pm
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

I've just seen a set of LOTR in my local book shop, with stickers on the top corners advertising Rings Of Power. I was shocked. How could Harper Collins do such a thing? 

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 23, 2023 2:23 pm
Meltintalle
(@mel)
Member Moderator

Speaking of calendars, I think a fun one would show the Hobbiton set through a year, maybe complete with notes on what can be seen in the various front gardens.

We have hands that fashion and heads that know,
But our hearts we lost - how long ago! -- G. K. Chesterton

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 7, 2023 2:29 pm
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee
Posted by: @coracle

I've just seen a set of LOTR in my local book shop, with stickers on the top corners advertising Rings Of Power. I was shocked. How could Harper Collins do such a thing? 

I'd hit "like" to show I agree with your reaction, but that might suggest I "like" the promotion described, which I don't!!! Shocked At wits end Thumbs down  I'm not sure what must have got into Harper Collins either. Maybe it was the decision of someone who hasn't actually read the books, but figured this may catch the eye of fans of the Amazon series and induce them to try the books, so therefore any publicity is good publicity?? Money eyes  

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 8, 2023 7:44 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru
Posted by: @courtenay

I'd hit "like" to show I agree with your reaction, but that might suggest I "like" the promotion described, which I don't!!! Shocked At wits end Thumbs down  I'm not sure what must have got into Harper Collins either. Maybe it was the decision of someone who hasn't actually read the books, but figured this may catch the eye of fans of the Amazon series and induce them to try the books, so therefore any publicity is good publicity?? Money eyes  

It could be the marketing bizz! The set of the Lord of the Rings trilogy I have has the Peter Jackson film trilogy promotion. It must be a way to market the franchise, I suppose.

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 8, 2023 7:49 pm
Courtenay
(@courtenay)

@jasmine_tarkheena I think coracle's point was that the Amazon series is an almost complete departure from what Tolkien actually wrote, and therefore to put a promotion for it on Tolkien's works is shocking to anyone who loves his creation... No idea  

(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 8, 2023 7:54 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

@courtenay 

Ah, point taken. I would like to see a reboot of Lord of the Rings (maybe even as an episodic series). Then we wouldn't have to worry about criticism of the multiple endings in Return of the King.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 8, 2023 8:22 pm
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
Posted by: @jasmine_tarkheena

I would like to see a reboot of Lord of the Rings (maybe even as an episodic series).

There's an idea, although I reckon Peter Jackson did a good enough job (all the Tolkien fans I know — myself included! — have few, if any, serious complaints about his work) that his film trilogy would be a very, very hard act to follow. It would be interesting to see what a different company might do with LOTR itself, but I should think it'll be a long time before anyone dares to try. (Though a remake of The Hobbit — one that actually follows the book reasonably closely in length as well as content — might be a more enticing proposal... Grin  )

Then we wouldn't have to worry about criticism of the multiple endings in Return of the King.

Now here's one thing that baffles me a bit, because I hear it mentioned often and I don't quite get it. What do people mean by "the multiple endings" in The Return of the King?? It's not a "Choose Your Own Adventure" book where the story ends differently depending on which choices you make...

I'm guessing what they all mean is multiple climaxes, multiple high points towards the end of the story where important parts of the plot are resolved one after the other. (And one of my few major complaints about the Peter Jackson version is that they completely left out a crucial one of those points, the Scouring of the Shire.) But why does that matter so much? Lots of lengthy stories have multiple climaxes towards the end, including some of the Narnia books. Why exactly — I'm throwing this out there as a question in general! — does the final part of LOTR get criticised so often for that???

(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 8, 2023 9:04 pm
Jasmine liked
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

It will probably be many years before someone else tries to make The Lord of the Rings into a movie or TV series. Peter Jackson’s movies have been very popular and they are very good movies, although they were not always completely accurate to the books. I think the radio drama made in 1981 with Ian Holm is probably the best book adaptation. But of course since it was a radio play there are fewer people today who have listened to it than have watched the movies. It was an excellent drama which demanded more from the listener than simply watching a movie. Today many people have shorter attention spans and would often rather watch a movie than read a book or listen to a radio drama. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 13, 2023 4:02 am
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru
Posted by: @courtenay
Posted by: @jasmine_tarkheena

I would like to see a reboot of Lord of the Rings (maybe even as an episodic series).

There's an idea, although I reckon Peter Jackson did a good enough job (all the Tolkien fans I know — myself included! — have few, if any, serious complaints about his work) that his film trilogy would be a very, very hard act to follow. It would be interesting to see what a different company might do with LOTR itself, but I should think it'll be a long time before anyone dares to try. (Though a remake of The Hobbit — one that actually follows the book reasonably closely in length as well as content — might be a more enticing proposal... Grin  )

While The Hobbit film trilogy were impressive from the cinematic point of view, there were some I could do without though. While I was impressed they had a female character, given that the book doesn't have any, I could have done without the love triangle (which is getting kind of old these days). There was various opinions about how successful they were.

So maybe The Hobbit as an episodic series and go on to Lord of the Rings as an episodic series would be an idea. Hey, what if the remakes actually made The Hobbit first then go on to produce Lord of the Rings?

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 29, 2023 4:49 pm
Silverlily
(@silverlily)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Is poetry month, so...

[Gently nudges a Boromir poem into the thread.]

Son of Gondor
[4/13/23

A strong man, a fierce man, a man brave and true
Came riding to the council at the last homely house.
Light of his father's eyes, trusted by brother too,
On the wings of a dream with a horn to rouse
A waiting army.
Still, fear for homeland nibbled him like a mouse,
And he came not knowing what he could do.

He had lived by the shadow, often fought it to its face,
From his tower of history and wonder.
He could not forsee his own fall from grace;
Last stand against shame would split his horn asunder,
After treachery alarming.
Steadfast companions gave him to Rauros' thunder,
Never more to proudly ride to his place.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 13, 2023 1:42 am
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

This was posted in a Tolkien group on FB.

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 28, 2023 7:15 pm
Courtenay
(@courtenay)

@coracle Oh yes, I saw that one a few months ago — it did the rounds online after the book of tributes to Christopher was published. Goes to show the Tolkiens had a wicked sense of humour (and it's worth remembering that Christopher had just finished serving in wartime, so all the more reason to celebrate). I hope not too many hearses were needed!! Grin  

(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 29, 2023 5:19 am
Page 43 / 49
Share: