Littlgriz comes out of her hobbit hole what a lovley summers night

looks fore jo hobbit

in aslans paws have a good day

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 20, 2020 5:53 pm
johobbit
(@jo)
SO mod; WC captain Moderator

Hey there, littlgriz, it is SO good to see you on the forum again! Grin I hope your hobbit hole is as full of comfort as it should be. Hug  

In recent Tolkien news, has anyone else seen this publishing announcement of a new upcoming book (2021), which will contain previously unpublished writings by J.R.R. Tolkien?! Dancing It is entitled The Nature of Middle-earth: https://www.theonering.net/torwp/2020/06/23/108207-the-nature-of-middle-earth-new-book-with-tolkiens-unpublished-writings/  

Signature by Narnian_Badger, thanks! (2013)
7,237 posts from Forum 1.0

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 23, 2020 10:23 am
Wunderkind_Lucy
(@wunderkind_lucy)
A Magnet for All Kinds of Deeper Wunderment Hospitality Committee
Posted by: @johobbit

In recent Tolkien news, has anyone else seen this publishing announcement of a new upcoming book (2021), which will contain previously unpublished writings by J.R.R. Tolkien?! Dancing

Ooooh! Sounds interesting! Grin  

*adds to the long list of other Tolkien works that I haven't read* Tongue  

"The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles but to irrigate deserts." ~ C. S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man
Forum 1.0: 1303 posts
WC: 42

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 23, 2020 7:53 pm
johobbit liked
johobbit
(@jo)

Oooh, I just saw this, and have bookmarked it for whichever family member has my name this Christmas. Bats eyes Grin It is illustrated by Lee, Howe, and Nasmith, and based on Unfinished Tales, which was published in 1980—its 40th anniversary. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 2, 2020 11:40 am
Varnafinde
(@varna)
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum Moderator
Posted by: @johobbit

Heads up: Today Andy Serkis is reading The Hobbit, all in one sitting, I believe: https://www.gofundme.com/f/thehobbitath ... /gallery/0

It really is marvelous. He began at 5 a.m. EDT, and has not lost any of his grace and enthusiasm for the reading. The voices he portrays are wonderful, including Gollum/Sméagol's (of course!) and the spiders. Wish I could have heard him act Beorn. Can hardly wait for Bilbo's conversation with Smaug! I have not heard nearly all of the reading, but what I have watched, I am impressed. He is even dressed somewhat hobbitish, with a cozy vest. :)

And your wish is granted - if you can wait until September and then pay for it!

"We are delighted to announce the release of a brand-new audiobook of The Hobbit, read by award-winning actor, director and author Andy Serkis! This magical new recording arrives this September and is now available to pre-order: smarturl.it/TheHobbitAudio"

(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 3, 2020 8:27 pm
johobbit liked
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator
I'm re-reading the Tolkien biog by Humphrey Carpenter, and have just read about a trip he went on between school and university, walking in the Swiss alps, with basic gear and simple food. There was snow, and at least once a lot of stones rolling down a mountain at them.

Is that where he based his stories over and under mountains?

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 30, 2020 2:49 pm
johobbit
(@jo)

^ I need a re-read of Carpenter's Tolkien bio!

I just read this! Grin The beard discussion mentioned near the end of the article is hilarious. Giggle I am glad to hear that Carl Hostetter, a JRRT expert and Elvish linguist, is the editor.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 19, 2020 10:22 am
Varnafinde
(@varna)
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum Moderator

Last night Arthedain, the Norwegian Tolkien Society, had its annual Christmas dinner - only over Zoom this year.

The book edited by Hostetter was mentioned, and somebody was worried that any kind of Middle-earth texts might turn up now that Chrisopher Tolkien cannot check them any more.

But someone else knew more about the upcoming book, and reassured us that this was all approved by the right authorities, and Chistopher himself had chosen Hostetter as editor of the book.

It certainly looks like a good one - I'm tempted already Giggle  

(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : November 22, 2020 9:40 am
johobbit liked
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee

Just heard about this — there's a fundraising campaign underway to buy Tolkien's home in Oxford and turn it into a centre dedicated to him! This needs to happen!!! Grin  

Here's the article about it from the BBC — and here's the campaign website: Project Northmoor

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 4, 2020 9:28 am
daughter of the King
(@dot)
Princess Dot Moderator

Anyone else seen The Lord of the Rings in 4K yet? I just finished the trilogy and it is gorgeous. Definitely worth it if you have a 4K screen. Of course the cinematography is just a bonus to an already great story, but the sunrise during the Ride of the Rohirrim is unforgettable. Also a good excuse to re-watch the series. Giggle And then explain things to family members who have forgotten what happens in the book.

Mom: Why didn't Elrond sail before?

Me: Because he had one of the rings and was using it to protect Rivendell.

Mom: Wait, how many rings are there?

ahsokasig
Narniaweb sister to Pattertwig's Pal

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 14, 2020 9:22 pm
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

I'm having my annual viewing of LOTR on 29 Decenber, because it's somehow got missed, in spite of all the time I've spent at home this year!

Haven't seen it for over a year, and I'm noticing new things. One is how old Ian Holm looks as Bilbo. He was aged about 69/70 when he played this well-preserved 111-year-old, who to Gandalf's eyes still looked as he did at 51, when he was on the adventure with the dwarves. 

I look at him now and compare his face with my own (a few years younger).  Is it makeup, lights, or something else, that makes him look sometimes 50, and sometimes 70? 

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 28, 2020 3:11 pm
johobbit
(@jo)

I am eager Dancing to have this new book in my hands: Tolkien's Modern Reading by Holly Ordway, releasing on January. 25. Holly is of the same high caliber as Michael Ward. I follow them both on FB, and have found Holly's recent 1-2 minute videos as 'teases' for her book fascinating. She is an articulate speaker, and very relatable, as well. For more info, see http://www.hollyordway.com/tolkien/.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 19, 2021 9:26 am
johobbit
(@jo)

And here is the background of the book, written by the author, herself. Very interesting! This book is going to dispel the long-held belief that Tolkien pooh-poohed all modern literature.

I have ordered Tolkien's Modern Reading, and am excited to dive in. Smile  

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 25, 2021 10:53 am
Courtenay liked
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee

Gosh, that book sounds fantastic, @jo... I wasn't sure I was interested when you first mentioned it, but after reading the author's article that you just posted, I think I'll have to read the book too! I'm especially intrigued by her conclusion that Tolkien DIDN'T "despise" the Chronicles of Narnia... all that most of us know on the topic is that Tolkien famously objected to Lewis including Father Christmas in LWW and thought his world-building in general was terribly sloppy. I would love to see the evidence that Tolkien's view was more nuanced than that — and I'd love to know what he thought of modern authors as diverse as William Morris, Beatrix Potter, Agatha Christie and Isaac Asimov!! Grin  

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 26, 2021 1:26 am
johobbit liked
johobbit
(@jo)

Hear-hear, @courtenay! My copy is on order, but as it is coming from the UK, it could take awhile arriving here.

I just read that Tolkien's Unfinished Tales (edited by his son, Christopher, now deceased) is coming out on audio CD in early May, and is being read by none other than *blows trumpet* Samuel West, aka BBC's Prince/King Caspian!! Cool and his father, Timothy West. Apparently Samuel has been an avid Tolkien fan since childhood, which makes the reading all the more likeable. Smile  

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 25, 2021 10:14 am
Courtenay liked
Page 35 / 49
Share: