Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

The MouseHunt Thread: Episode 6

Page 1 / 4
Varnafinde
(@varna)
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum Moderator

When I became a NarniaWeb moderator, some of the other moderators (and members) were busy playing a game which was called MouseHunt. Perhaps you already know and enjoy this game? If not, I can share some facts about it - as it only took me a couple of weeks as a mod to join it, too. Giggle

The game takes place in a Kingdom called Gnawnia (oh yes, puns, not only on Narnia, flourish in the game and are part of what attracts me about it). The King of Gnawnia has a problem - his kingdom is infected with mice! So he hires hunters who can set up traps to catch them, and the players in the game do the hunting.

In an early MouseHunt thread starkat explained the basic facts of the game:

"MouseHunt is a game on Facebook that is played by arming a trap with a base and various types of cheeses to catch mice. It is a passive game that you play by blowing the horn every 15 minutes."

As the game has developed and has added more regions to the kingdom, there are now areas where you need to be playing more actively and also change your traps and cheeses (not to mention charms, which were added to the game a few years in). But just signing on once every 24 hours will keep you active and will have your trap checked for you once an hour, even when you haven't sounded your horn.

The game has been running for 15 years now. For every new area new mice are added, and there are now more than a thousand different species to hunt for (with unusual names and attributes).

Some of the mice drop extra loot in addition to the gold that every mouse drops (in varying quantities). This is used for buying new traps and other hunting materials. Currently the newest region is the "Folklore Forest", and in the "Table of Contents" area of that region, you may earn, either from mice or by other means, "Gnawbel Prizes for Literature". The "Bitter Grammarian" mouse is important for earning these, even though he doesn't drop any.

This NarniaWeb thread is the place to discuss the game. We have our own group on Facebook as well, "NWeb Hunters of Gnawnia", but we use it mostly for shorter question threads and messages. Do join it, though, if you are a MouseHunter. But there is more room for discussion, and telling about your MH experiences, here in this thread.

If you're already playing the game, which is your favorite area, and why? Do you have a favorite mouse, and what do you like about it? It would also be interesting to hear what you are working on right now - or, if you are busy with the Spring Hunt Event that is running at the moment, what area will you go back to after the event?

Hope to see you in the game! My user name over there is Bee Cissy. Perhaps we can hunt on a Treasure Map together?

May the Devs Love You! Cool  

Previous MH Threads
Mousehunt I: http://forum.narniaweb.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2086

Mousehunt II: http://forum.narniaweb.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3357

MouseHunt III: http://forum.narniaweb.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4767

Mousehunt IV: http://forum.narniaweb.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5807

Mousehunt V: https://community.narniaweb.com/index.php/community/the-spare-oom/the-mousehunt-thread-episode-v/

And the game itself:
Via Facebook: https://apps.facebook.com/mousehunt/
Directly from its own website: https://www.mousehuntgame.com/

This topic was modified 1 year ago 3 times by Varnafinde

(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 9, 2023 7:27 pm
johobbit and fantasia liked
starkat
(@starkat)
Member Moderator

I'm just randomly hopping around. I have an idea to try and get 100 different unique eggs this year. I'm at 65. We'll see where I get. I probably should go set up in the table of contents and get as many wordy eggs as possible, but I'm not really sure.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 10, 2023 5:37 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

I actually started playing this morning. It's a lot of fun!

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 11, 2023 11:40 am
fantasia and starkat liked
Varnafinde
(@varna)
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum Moderator

My event goal was only to pick up all the new eggs, which I've done - but I realised how much help the eggs were for upgrading the Folklore Forest region. I've got the Silver Quill now! Grin  

I've been to the Bristle Woods Rift, too, to get the AA egg and some gold crowns, but when I've finished what I'm in the middle of doing, I expect to go back and hunt some more Mythweavers.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 11, 2023 4:47 pm
starkat liked
starkat
(@starkat)
Member Moderator

I think I'm going to top out where I'm at. I have about 77. I want to farm eggs in the writing areas.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 17, 2023 3:49 am
fantasia
(@fantasia)
Member Admin

@jasmine_tarkheena, do you want/need some mousehunt buddies to play with? I think the game is a lot more fun with friends. 🙂

Re: The Egg Hunt, I think I had all the new eggs very quickly, within the first day even. If not the first, definitely by the second day. After finishing up the map I was on with friends, I've spent the event trying to even out my supplies in the Folklore Forest area. They were pretty lopsided after the Chinese New Year event. LOLk

Looking forward to the new area next month (at least, I assume there's going to be a new area next month).

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 17, 2023 4:28 pm
johobbit liked
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

@fantasia That would be great. I am already on the Apprentice Level now.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 17, 2023 8:42 pm
fantasia
(@fantasia)
Member Admin

@jasmine_tarkheena , my hunter ID is 76472. You can add me by going to the Find Friends page and typing it in. 🙂 

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 19, 2023 5:48 am
starkat
(@starkat)
Member Moderator

Mine is 4051453

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 19, 2023 6:03 am
Varnafinde
(@varna)

And mine is 6708784 (as Bee Cissy). Smile  

I've been playing very passively for the last few days, but I'm still around. I managed to get gold crowns (for 500 catches) for two of the Prologue Pond mice today, the only two to be close enough to reach that goal during the event. I'm farming Pond Pennies at the moment, but I reckon I'll do some more Table of Contents writing over the weekend and try to get some more Mythweaver eggs while I still can.

This post was modified 1 year ago by Varnafinde

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 20, 2023 5:54 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

My ID number is 8293113.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 21, 2023 10:34 am
fantasia
(@fantasia)
Member Admin

Something new and interesting on Mousehunt. Grin  

Spoiler
I got my Folklore Companion Vol. 1 from the Mythweaver and I'm determined to figure out the first clue, but I admit I'm stuck. The clue I'm working on states ...

Magic Bean Clue: Journey to the oasis of life, cast a spell with runic magic, and embrace the flavour of rainy brine.

...I've got the correct location and cheese according to my Folklore Companion, but I'm stumped on the runic magic bit. So we'll see if I can get it figured out or if I go for spoilers. 😛

ETA: Update on my above progress...

Spoiler
It took a bit, but I figured out the correct charm. Moving onto the second clue...

Fabled Fertilizer Clue: Adorn thyself with obscurity and conduct experiments with soil and stillness.

...And I've got the correct trap and charm. Trying to figure out (I assume) the correct location.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 25, 2023 3:42 pm
Gymfan15
(@gymfan15)
NarniaWeb Podcaster Moderator Emeritus

@fantasia I went for the spoilers because I do not have the brain space to do a scavenger hunt at the moment lol. It was fun regardless! Let me know if you want me to drip-feed you hints. 😀 

Spareoom.net

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 25, 2023 7:01 pm
fantasia liked
fantasia
(@fantasia)
Member Admin

My morning brain works a little better than my nighttime brain. I have solved Folklore Companion Vol. 1. Onto Vol. 2.

@Gymfan15, thanks much for the offer. If I get stuck, I will take you up on that because it's hard to look up hints without seeing the entire answer. Grin  

Posting for posterity....

Spoiler

Lavish Lapis Bean Clue: Deluge doubly into the darkness with luminous dispersion.

Royal Ruby Bean Clue: Bring ordinance to an excess of opulence.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 26, 2023 9:33 am
fantasia
(@fantasia)
Member Admin

My saga of the Lavish Lapis Bean....

Spoiler
I spent most of the day yesterday getting nowhere on this bean. I have the charm and the trap type and that's it. I finally gave up and switched beans in the hopes of figuring something out accidentally. More on this in a bit.

My saga of the Royal Ruby Bean....

Spoiler
As I was working on the blue bean yesterday, I found by accident the location was the Labyrinth, so that gave me a starting point. Unlike the blue bean which I couldn't figure out anything on. I did succeed in getting the cheese, charm, and trap type in rapid order. So that left (to my assumption) the base. That presented a problem though because bases aren't something I don't buy many of. After I had tried all of my bases, I finally had my husband look up last night what I was missing. 

Frustrating part 1. I had in fact tried the correct base at some point but missed the book telling me that was in fact the correct base. Angry  

Frustrating part 2. Once I did that, I had to peek again to see what I still needed, and it turns out as I'm not in a treasury hallway, I couldn't get this bean. So I'm now getting myself to a treasury hallway and then this bean will be done.

My up and coming continued saga of the Lavish Lapis Bean....

Spoiler
I didn't mention this above, but I had taken the time to go to nearly every location on the map with no success yesterday, but as I missed the memo on the base with the red bean, I'm concerned I may have missed the clue with the blue bean too. However, having gained some insight with how the red bean worked, I have some new ideas to try with the blue bean. If neither of those two ideas work, I'll have to cheat a bit more. 

My husband did tell me that this bean also requires five correct setups, so this one may take me a while. I only figured out two after hours of working on it yesterday. Whew

@Gymfan15 (or anyone else who happens to see this), here is one spoiler I would like to know. How many Folklore Companion volumes are there total? As much as I'd like to solve this with minimal help, I don't want to run out of time.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 27, 2023 8:20 am
Page 1 / 4
Share: