Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Remembering Queen Elizabeth II

Page 2 / 2
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

@courtenay I haven't seen all the Windsor Castle video yet, but this morning I saw the orb, sceptre and crown being taken off the coffin and placed on the altar in the Chapel. The final thing done was the Lord Chamberlain breaking his wand of office, and laying it on the coffin. That was my tearful moment. 

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

Topic starter Posted : September 20, 2022 5:43 am
Courtenay liked
waggawerewolf27
(@waggawerewolf27)
Member Hospitality Committee

It was great that the whole thing was televised, even the proclamations for King Charles III, which wouldn't have happened in 1952, of course. I remember in 1953 our school hospital day room was decorated with lines of paper cut-outs of golden carriages, & myself asking the boarding school nurse why we couldn't see this marvellous Coronation. Nowadays we can understand what is going on, without actually going to London. Suddenly the Earth seems smaller in a good way. I never knew how much detail went into the entire process of passing on the crown from one Monarch to the next, and how many people were involved, from all levels of society. The crowds were awesomely large as well, not only in London & Windsor but also in Edinburgh, where the Queen was sent to St Giles Cathedral there. It was as if all of UK was taking part, even if they couldn't get a place in the queues. By the way, @Coracle, could you please tell me when New Zealand first got television? 

We teared up, too, in the committal service, especially, not only due to the solemn music, but also to the very last bit, where the Royal Jeweller detached the Crown, the Sceptre & the Orb from the Queen's casket, placing them in line on the Altar at St George's Chapel. And then the highest of the Royal officials, the Duke of Norfolk, broke his staff of office over his knee. His service was ended, and we discussed what we thought might happen to him, when that Duke of Norfolk did not really seem old enough to retire. Crying 😓 

It was poignant that the Queen's two last corgis stood by, along with the Queen's pony, Emma. It seems that Candy, the Queen's 20-year-old dorgi, passed away herself, only a day or two before the Queen's death. Crying That also happened when my grandmother died. Her pet Yorkshire terrier also passed away a day or two before she passed away in 1974.

Posted : September 21, 2022 2:17 am
Courtenay and coracle liked
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

@waggawerewolf27 NZ got TV in 1960. 

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

Topic starter Posted : September 21, 2022 2:47 am
Page 2 / 2
Share: