Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Mother's Day is May 9!

Anonymous
(@anonymous)

This year, Mother's Day in the U.S. (and lots of other places) is Sunday, May 9. Click here (Wikipedia) to learn more about Mother's Day worldwide. And click here (Wikipedia) to learn how people celebrate their mothers in the U.S.

More links
1914 Presidential Proclamation on Mother's Day
Day for Mothers
Holidays.net: Mother's Day
Everything Mother's Day

Mother's Day e-cards
Dayspring (Christian)
123 Greetings
Hallmark
Yahoo! American Greetings

Why does it matter?
Old Testament [5th commandment]: "Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee." [Exodus 20:12, cf Deuteronomy 5:16]
New Testament: "Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right. Honour thy father and mother; (which is the first commandment with promise;) That it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth." [Ephesians 6:1-3, cf Colossians 3:20]

So how do you plan to celebrate your mom this Sunday? [If she's deceased, tell us what you loved about her and why. ]

EDIT: Mother's Day free stuff! B-)
Today through 7pm EDT get a free 7 oz frappuccino at McDonald's.
Today through May 16 [3-5pm EDT] get a half-price frappuccino at Starbucks.
Houston area freebies
Free food
Phoenix area freebies
Other freebies

Topic starter Posted : May 7, 2010 7:10 am
Melian_Maia
(@melian_maia)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Every year on Mother's day we get up early and make her breakfast. Normally it's toast or scones since we have set up at our church. We also have to plan ahead and find time to go shopping with Dad since none of us drive yet. :)

We go out to lunch (where ever she wants, of course) and then I make dessert for after dinner. My Mom's favorite dinner is BBQ so we always have that for dinner.

This year we procrastinated a little and still don't have our gift. :-s We're planning on getting her a Vera Bradley bag. She loves their prints. :D

Draco Dormien Nunquam Titillandus
Minion to Lady A and Booky ⎮ NW sister to Ela, Mountie, and Rose.
Braintriplet to Narnia_Fan12 and narnianerd
Team Hoodie!Secret Order of the Swoosh

Posted : May 7, 2010 8:19 am
DamselJillPole
(@damseljillpole)
NarniaWeb Fanatic

I do the same thing as Melian_Maia.

I get up and do things she normally does for me, although my boyfriend and I are both planning something big and sweet for both of our moms.

Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!

Posted : May 7, 2010 8:43 am
IloveFauns
(@ilovefauns)
NarniaWeb Guru

I got my mum a pendora braclet.

Posted : May 8, 2010 3:51 am
Liberty Hoffman
(@liberty-hoffman)
NarniaWeb Master

my family is taking my mom out to lunch and then we are going to visit my dad's mom! :)

it's good to honor moms!

NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ

Posted : May 8, 2010 4:35 am
Pattertwigs Pal
(@twigs)
Member Moderator

This year, Mother's Day in the U.S. (and lots of other places) is Sunday, May 9. Click here (Wikipedia) to learn more about Mother's Day worldwide.

That link had a lot of interesting information. I didn't know Mother's Day could be so political.

My sister and I got my mom a couple of CDs. We will be going out for dinner on Mother's Day. I'm not sure if we are doing anything special during the day or not. My mom gets to chose what we do.

NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King

Posted : May 8, 2010 6:19 am
ALittleMoreSonic
(@alittlemoresonic)
NarniaWeb Regular

I surprised my mom by showing up at home (I live at college 5 states away). :)

Posted : May 8, 2010 6:20 am
Liberty Hoffman
(@liberty-hoffman)
NarniaWeb Master

my dad and I just went and bought my mom a nice shirt for mother's day..... :)

Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

Posted : May 8, 2010 9:28 am
georgiehenley14
(@georgiehenley14)
NarniaWeb Regular

I wrote a poem for my mom.. it's supposed to be hummurous; it's about demonic squirrels...

I wanna be Jill Pole!

Posted : May 8, 2010 10:01 am
TheGeneral
(@thegeneral)
NarniaWeb Junkie

^ LOL

My mom doesn't like mother's day for some reason, she always tells us not to do anything special, I guess she thinks it's silly? I don't know, my mom is funny :)

Posted : May 8, 2010 12:34 pm
pickle
(@pickle)
NarniaWeb Nut

I went to Filoli Flower Gardens (somewhere near Cupertino CA, don't know where. I'm kinda directionally challenged :D ) and played a couple pieces with my quartet just earlier today (go cellos!). :D

Proud supporter of Blarghefur!

thanks for the avy and sig, Eustace+Jill!

Posted : May 9, 2010 6:31 pm
Anonymous
(@anonymous)

@TheGeneral: ditto on my mom. :p I didn't do anything special for her. I wish I had. She needs it. :(

Yesterday, God gave me some insight on the 6th commandment. When it says “so your days may be long on the land,” I interpreted that as my physical life, the number of years I’m on this earth. It probably means that. But it goes deeper. It’s a promise of blessing—for an individual, a family, a nation. It means not only the length of the person, family, or nation’s life on the land, but also the fullness of that life—physical, emotional, financial, spiritual, etc. :)

Topic starter Posted : May 10, 2010 8:50 am
Anonymous
(@anonymous)

Mods: I think you can close this thread now. :)

[And maybe delete this post? ;) ]

Topic starter Posted : May 12, 2010 7:35 am
Liberty Hoffman
(@liberty-hoffman)
NarniaWeb Master

I wrote a poem for my mom.. it's supposed to be hummurous; it's about demonic squirrels...

that's awesome! :D

Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

Posted : May 12, 2010 9:28 am
Share: