Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Food for Thought (and Discussion)

Page 58 / 58
SnowAngel
(@snowangel)
Maiden of Monday Madness Moderator

@Jasmine_tarkheena, did you get peaches? We did, got a bunch. We froze some for cobblers and pies this winter, canned a whole lot of them, dehydrated quite a few, made jam and barbecue sauce.

Last week, we got to pick apples that one of my dad's coworkers didn't want. Grin The past few days the house has been filled with scent of cooking apples. One of my sisters decided we need to try every apple recipe in the Ball cookbook plus barbecue sauce for the freezer. It seems making barbecue sauce from nearly every fruit that comes into our kitchen is our new food thing for the year. Giggle

We had company last week, and I made a huge GF apple crisp that was a hit with everyone including the company that didn't know it was GF. Giggle   Next I need to find a GF apple cake recipe to make for my mom who loves apple cake.

SnowAngel

Christ is King.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 14, 2023 9:42 am
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

@snowangel 

I haven't yet, but I plan to one of these days. I might put them in smoothies or even try to make a thick smoothie bowl as well as some peach fritters.

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 14, 2023 10:29 am
SnowAngel
(@snowangel)

Continuing with apples, we got Jonathan and Golden Delicious apples from a local store that got them from a nearby orchard. Smile Most of the Golden Delicious became freezer applesauce. The Jonathans are becoming cider and pie filling for the freezer. 

Last week I made cinnamon rolls and added chopped Jonathan apples, so tasty and moist. Love   I will definitely make apple cinnamon rolls again.

SnowAngel

Christ is King.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 27, 2023 10:03 am
starkat
(@starkat)
Member Moderator

I've gotten back into cooking in a big way the last few months. I've done everything from Tex Mex to basic American to family recipes to recipes made up on the fly based on what's in the fridge and freezer. 

Anyone have some good recipes for sauteing mushrooms? 

Found a good marinade for chicken yesterday...

Worcestershire sauce

Bragg's amino acids

Garlic

Salt

Pepper

I'd snagged a more involved marinade recipe online, but this was something I put together based on what I remembered and without measuring. It actually kept the chicken really moist and flavored it wonderfully. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 24, 2023 6:09 pm
SnowAngel liked
SnowAngel
(@snowangel)

@starkat, oh, that marinade sounds yummy. Smile One of my sisters enjoys grilling and she has developed a similar marinade that is her go to recipe.

Why on earth do people like mushrooms? D\'oh I can't stand the texture of cooked mushrooms, the exception being if they're in a sauce like spaghetti or stroganoff. 

I baked chocolate chip cookies on Saturday and since they are long gone, I'm thinking I need to bake some brownies. Smile  

SnowAngel

Christ is King.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 25, 2023 9:15 am
starkat
(@starkat)
Member Moderator

@snowangel I used to HATE mushrooms. Then I started trying them when my dad got them at restaurants and developed a taste for them. 

Right now, they've kind of become a staple in our house because they are anti inflammatory and they are high in potassium. My mom's supposed to be eating more of an anti inflammatory diet and I am apparently not consuming enough potassium so it kind of ends up being good for both. I usually include them mixed in with something. Like the last time, I had them under carne guisada that I made. We've never been very successful at consistently sauteing mushrooms at home, so it's something I would like to try. 

I want to get into baking, but I can't do the mixing by hand. I need a stand mixer. It's currently out of budget. Maybe for Christmas. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 25, 2023 9:30 am
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

I think mushrooms is one of those things that a lot of people don't like (even some in my family don't). I don't mind them, though.

I never buy like cream of mushroom soup. So we make our own cream of mushroom for green bean casseroles for Thanksgiving.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 25, 2023 9:49 am
starkat
(@starkat)
Member Moderator

@jasmine_tarkheena I would love to learn how to make my own cream of mushroom!

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 25, 2023 8:50 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

Now that fall is in the Northern Hemisphere, there's so many fall and winter foods out there.

We often think of apples or pumpkins or kale when it comes to fall and winter. Some of the apples I like are fuji, gala, and pink lady.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 4, 2023 7:15 pm
johobbit
(@jo)
SO mod; WC captain Moderator

Going way back ... I made a few fresh peach upside-down cakes in the summer. Oh man, were they delectable, especially warm with a bit of whipped cream, mmm. The Niagara area is not far from us, so at local markets in our area we are privileged to enjoy the abundance of the produce from that fertile region of Ontario.

As for sautéeing mushrooms, I simply use olive oil, a bit of pepper, and sauté them fairly slowly. Delicious! @starkat I ADORE mushrooms, raw or cooked or sautéed. A true hobbit, I guess. Giggle  

This time of year I start making soups to last us through the winter, putting many jars in the freezer: split pea and ham (after our Thanksgiving ham in October), vegetable beef, turkey soup (after our Christmas turkey), cream of broccoli. These are great to gift away, as well. Smile  

Honeycrisp apples are my absolute favourite. I try to have one a day. At various times through the winter, I make a big apple crisp for family or other guests to enjoy. Again, warmed, with a touch of whipped cream, this dish is A-1!

@fantasia, I got a salmon recipe from you years ago, and we really enjoy that periodically. So tasty, yum!

I have been having fun with some new recipes, such as a creamy mushroom sauce, lasagna rolls, sheet cake with homemade chocolate icing, among others, as well as some old favourites too. Smile  

Food is just so-o-o-o-o-o-o good! Giggle Grin  

Signature by Narnian_Badger, thanks! (2013)
7,237 posts from Forum 1.0

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 13, 2023 7:23 am
Silverlily
(@silverlily)
NarniaWeb Junkie

I have something I like to do with sautéing mushrooms, especially baby portobello...

-butter

-garlic, preferably minced fresh, to taste depending on your family's like for garlic

-a 1:3 ratio of A1 steak sauce to soy sauce

-a small squeeze of stone-ground mustard

Very rich and tangy -- I mostly make as a topping to spoon over grilled meats!

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 29, 2023 5:17 am
SnowAngel liked
starkat
(@starkat)
Member Moderator

Random cooking question... I'm about to experiment with chicken and taco seasoning. Should I treat it like a rub and should I cube the chicken?

Will be cooked in a crockpot. Planned with celery, carrots, potatoes, onion, and garlic cloves. Maybe with a touch of cheese.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 29, 2024 7:29 pm
fantasia
(@fantasia)
Member Admin

Unless you're going to shred it, I would cut it into whatever the final shape you want it to be, either strips or cubes.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 1, 2024 6:41 am
starkat
(@starkat)
Member Moderator

@fantasia thanks! That makes sense. My dad isn't a big fan of chicken because it dries out so easily, so I want the easiest way to keep it moist and that should help it absorb chicken broth. Forgot to add that on my recipe list. I figured I'd use that for moisture. 

Edit: I tossed in a dash of Tony's creole seasoning at the end and it's got a bit of a kick. Not quite what I was aiming for, but it still came out good. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 1, 2024 7:37 am
starkat
(@starkat)
Member Moderator

So in other topics ... I had a first today. My first loaf of bread. It actually came out edible and it didn't have lumps of flour! I used a recipe called Amish milk bread and it came out fluffy but dense like good for sandwiches and soup kind of dense. It'll be nice to have this skill. My eventual goal is to branch out to other types of breads and even gluten free options. But right now, I'll settle for perfecting my kneading and shaping skills and getting this recipe one where I can turn it out without blinking. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 6, 2024 8:10 pm
Page 58 / 58
Share: