Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Food for Thought (and Discussion)

Page 55 / 58
Pattertwigs Pal
(@twigs)
Member Moderator

@fantasia I have 2: The Official Narnia Cookbook on Kindle and The Unofficial Narnia Cookbook.

NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 17, 2021 8:31 pm
Jasmine liked
SnowAngel
(@snowangel)
Maiden of Monday Madness Moderator
Posted by: @jasminetarkheena

@snowangel It seems that are more alternatives these days than there would have been about, oh say 30 years ago. The other day, I saw gluten-free oreos... it was made with oat flour. And I've tried coffee creamer made from oat milk (it was maple and brown sugar flavor.. it tasted almost like oatmeal with maple syrup and brown sugar).

Oooh, oreos. I don't think I have had oat milk...although one of my sisters did try to make some.

Posted by: @snowangel

The tapioca flour is arriving today and then later in the week I should get cassava flour and tigernut flour.

Still laughing at this post. I'm just sitting over here googling everything you post about Snow, because I've never heard of half of them. Tigernuts in particular, how did you run across them? When I looked it up, it sounded like it would make a similar dough to potato roll dough, which my mom has used for years (though she still uses flour in hers).

I stumbled across tigernut flour on Pinterest and then it kept popping up in AIP and Paleo cookbooks I got from the library. My mom doesn't like tapioca flour unless it's mixed with at least two other flours, so I needed another one to add to the mix. And tigernut sounded interesting. Giggle It's kind of sweet, seems like it would make good graham crackers or cookies...or maybe waffles.

My grandma was raised on a farm and she taught my mom to cook farm food, so the whole sort-of AIP/Paleo is really hard for mom. I currently have tapioca, cassava, tigernut, coconut, arrowroot, and chickpea flour to cook/bake with, and my mom would really just like a slice of fresh wheat bread. She's fine with trying the different flours and foods, but it's just not what she wants to eat.

I tried a blueberry-rhubarb crisp with tigernut, arrowroot, and coconut flours, and it was pretty good. I haven't figured out the trick to baking with arrowroot to thicken the berry part of the crisp, it always ends up super thick on the very bottom of the pan. I think next I will try either baked donut holes or waffles.

SnowAngel

Christ is King.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 18, 2021 9:11 am
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee

Don't have that much time for posting at the moment, but I received the new Narnian cookbook yesterday and it's ummm... well... interesting. Let's just say that it's written by someone who is quite clearly not a native speaker of English and obviously didn't have (or couldn't afford) an editor who is!! Shocked Grin Some of his interpretations of things in Narnia are, er, yeah, a bit hard to see where he's coming from. (He describes Tumnus as a "centaur", for a start.) I'll post more when I have time.

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 19, 2021 5:18 pm
SnowAngel
(@snowangel)

So, this Caramel Apple Pie is the pie I made for Thanksgiving this year, complete with a couple of those strange flours. Giggle I made the tigernut flour crust. It was delicious, I will definitely make it.

Yesterday I made Keto Slow Cooker Fudge (coconut milk, chocolate chips, vanilla, and salt), it turned out a little soft, so I think it needs more chocolate chips.

SnowAngel

Christ is King.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 27, 2021 3:51 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

I've made cranberry snow candy for the holiday season. It's pretty simple. You melt the white chocolate then add the nuts and dried cranberries. Once they're stirred in, you spoon on to wax paper then let it set.

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 17, 2021 8:31 pm
Wunderkind_Lucy
(@wunderkind_lucy)
A Magnet for All Kinds of Deeper Wunderment Hospitality Committee
Posted by: @courtenay

Don't have that much time for posting at the moment, but I received the new Narnian cookbook yesterday and it's ummm... well... interesting. Let's just say that it's written by someone who is quite clearly not a native speaker of English and obviously didn't have (or couldn't afford) an editor who is!! Shocked Grin Some of his interpretations of things in Narnia are, er, yeah, a bit hard to see where he's coming from. (He describes Tumnus as a "centaur", for a start.) I'll post more when I have time.

ROFL Wow, sounds pretty interesting! Giggle  

After several disastrous attempts at making Turkish Delight, I have refrained from searching for "Narnia" recipes, although I admit I've been wondering about a recipe for Mrs. Beavers sticky marmalade roll. I'm assuming that it's similar to a cinnamon roll except that you put marmalade instead of the cinnamon-sugar mixture? I could be wrong. Giggle  

I've been doing a bit more bread-baking lately. My sister found this great pizza dough recipe that works great as a base for rolls. I follow the recipe mostly, except I replace the sugar with brown sugar (we were out of white sugar the first time, and I liked how it turned out, so...) Instead of keeping the dough flat, I let it rise for 30 minutes in the bowl, shape the dough into loaves or rolls, and let it rise for another 15 minutes while I preheat the oven. I've even shaped the dough into sub rolls and made pulled beef brisket sandwiches! But I haven't tried using the dough for pizza or calzones yet.

Also, my favorite baking blog recently republished a honey oat bread that I'm wanting to try. It doesn't require any dairy products, but it takes 12-18 hours to rise, meaning I'll have to make it the night before!

It's so hard to find bread recipes (or any recipes for that matter!) that are just non-dairy. The non-dairy recipes tend to be vegan, paleo, etc. I'm okay with dairy replacements (I prefer milk, but I have family members who have dairy/beef allergies), but that doesn't necessarily mean I want to replace eggs or flour. Also, a lot of non-dairy alternatives/vegan alternatives are still made in facilities that process dairy/beef products, so it's difficult to find good replacements. For plant milk, I use oatmilk, and we've been using coconut milk and cashew butter as well. I'm really liking the cashew butter in cookies almost better than peanut butter!

~ Wunder

"The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles but to irrigate deserts." ~ C. S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man
Forum 1.0: 1303 posts
WC: 42

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 19, 2022 2:27 pm
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee
Posted by: @wunderkind_lucy

After several disastrous attempts at making Turkish Delight, I have refrained from searching for "Narnia" recipes, although I admit I've been wondering about a recipe for Mrs. Beavers sticky marmalade roll. I'm assuming that it's similar to a cinnamon roll except that you put marmalade instead of the cinnamon-sugar mixture? I could be wrong. Giggle  

The "official" recipe is in the original official Narnia Cookbook, which I have, but it's in storage at the moment. When I can get hold of it, I'll be happy to post the recipe here! There's a recipe for Turkish Delight in there too... Grin  

I can't remember if the marmalade roll recipe contains eggs — probably it does — but if you or a family member don't eat eggs, there are definitely ways to tweak baking recipes to remove them. Plant-based milks definitely work as substitutes for cows' milk. The rest of my family have been on soy milk for decades (no-one has any dairy intolerances, they just prefer the taste) and I've used it in baking and it's fine.

As for the "unofficial" Narnia cookbook, I must admit it was so badly written and so silly I gave up on it and haven't tried any of the recipes! Tongue I've got better things to do with my time...

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 19, 2022 2:35 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

I've been drinking a new tea, Breakfast in Paris from the brand that is based in Portland, Oregon, Stash. It's really good... it almost reminds you of Earl Grey.

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 1, 2022 2:45 pm
wild rose
(@wild-rose)
Member Moderator Emeritus

It's been guava season for the past two months and with four guava trees in our garden I've got more guava than I can handle 😅 I decided to try my hand at making guava jam and would you know, it actually worked. (Luckily guavas are rich in pectin because it's hard to find pectin here in Zambia.) 

I've done one batch so far and will probably make two more this week. I feel bad with all the fruit going bad. We'll have a LOT of jam this year 

guava-jam-small.jpg

This post was modified 2 years ago by wild rose

always be humble and kind

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 7, 2022 4:10 am
fantasia, Jasmine, SnowAngel and 2 people liked
SnowAngel
(@snowangel)

Sounds yummy, @jasmine_tarkheena! Smile  

Your jam looks delicious, @wild-rose.

I've been making this blueberry almond flour scone recipe for my dad for breakfast. He is terrible at taking the time to eat breakfast, so I am putting a scone in a glass dish for him every evening and placing it with his work items for the next day.

Did anyone else have pie for Pi Day (3/14)? We had apple pie and pumpkin pie with graham cracker crusts. My brother made the pie crusts and I made the pie filling, we make a good team. Grin  

SnowAngel

Christ is King.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 25, 2022 7:57 pm
fantasia
(@fantasia)
Member Admin
Posted by: @snowangel

Did anyone else have pie for Pi Day (3/14)?

Yes indeed! I made my two favorite desserts of all time. Cherry Pie (made from cherries off of our Montmorency cherry tree from last year) and Mississippi Mud Pie (my grandmother's chocolate/peanut butter cream pie). We suffered greatly. Giggle  

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 25, 2022 8:11 pm
SnowAngel
(@snowangel)

Yum, @fantasia! I wanted to make a chocolate pie so bad, but all the recipes that my mom can have use about a ton of coconut milk. Maybe I will splurge for my birthday.

Yesterday I made a chocolate crazy cake in a glass pan, the flavor was great, but I forgot to change the oven temperature and we had company. Blush Oh, well, the company didn't know that the cake would have been perfection with a slightly fudgy texture. It looked good with chocolate chips and rainbow sprinkles on top and the flavor really was very good.  Giggle  

SnowAngel

Christ is King.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 29, 2022 1:02 pm
Lu_valient
(@lu_valient)
NarniaWeb Nut

My dad has been making a lot of chicken pot pie lately. I got to have some a day or so after pi day.

Last weekend, I went to a pizzeria and bakery and had a nutella milkshake. It tasted like nutella all the way to the bottom. Delicious! I'm just glad I didn't get the 32oz (aka the Joel Embiid).

made by katherine

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 29, 2022 1:47 pm
fantasia liked
johobbit
(@jo)
SO mod; WC captain Moderator

@starkat and I were chatting a bit about Broccoli soup, particularly one made with no heavy cream. I have a couple of recipes. The first is a 'cheat', as it uses pre-made soups Tongue but it is very tasty. The second is more bonifide, from scratch.

Recipe #1:

1 can cream of mushroom soup

1 can cream of potato soup

2 cups of milk

Bring the above ingredients to a gentle boil.

Add:
1 cup grated cheddar cheese

1 large bunch cooked broccoli

7-8 mini potatoes, cut in cubes

Optional: fresh mushrooms, bacon

Simmer

Recipe #2:

Ingredients:

1 large head broccoli (or cauliflower), broken into florets

1 medium carrot, shredded

1/4 cup chopped celery

900 mls chicken broth (nearly four cups)

1/4 butter

1/4 flour

3/4 tsp salt (optional)

1/8 freshly ground pepper

2 cups milk

1 cup shredded cheese

1/2 - 1 tsp hot pepper sauce (optional)

Directions:

In a Dutch oven, combine broccoli, carrot, celery, and bouillon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until veggies are tender (do not drain).

In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for two minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Stir in the cheese until melted, adding hot pepper sauce, if desire. Stir into broccoli mixture.

Signature by Narnian_Badger, thanks! (2013)
7,237 posts from Forum 1.0

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 10, 2022 11:26 am
SnowAngel
(@snowangel)

Oh, that second recipe sounds so yummy, @jo! I'll have to copy that one for my recipe collection. Smile  

I made mulberry jam for the first time on Saturday, I made one batch that was just mulberry and one batch that was mulberry and rhubarb. My mom's grandma made mulberry rhubarb jelly and that's why I tried the mulberry rhubarb jam, I didn't want to strain it for jelly. Grin I think it's so cool to make things like my great grandma. And by the way it's quite good. Giggle  

I also dehydrated one tray of mulberries, they are so cute dried. Giggle  

SnowAngel 

Christ is King.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 13, 2022 12:03 pm
fantasia liked
Page 55 / 58
Share: